Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
fordluvver
Starter Motor

Default Ignition problem?

I have a 98 kj Laser that has done 65000 km...little old lady story...In the last year it has done 15000 k of mostly highway driving. Recently it has been running roughly on start up...0-10 degrees outside.. and idles at around 1400 rpm for about 5 mins . Once it is warm/10 mins later it is fine and behaves itself quite well.

A visit to the mechanic was done and although no testing/checking of the start/ignition was conducted he suggested that he remove the head!!! He said the compression was low in 2 cylinders but had only tested it while it was cold.
I feel as if a number of options have not been looked into but am not sure what they would be. I feel as if I went to the doctors with a wart and told I have cancer!! and we can operate tomorrow.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions??

PS The lasers big brother is an XR6 turbo. Just love that car. Best ford ever built in my life time at least.

fordluvver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
hako
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Regularly gives valued, considered advice to others. 

If the car has always behaved like this then no worries. If you want to do something about this perceived problem then ask for a full compression test - done when hot. If 2 pots are low then they can then inject oil into the 2 low pots to ascertain of its valves or rings. Make sure you are going to a reputable mechanic - preferably one that has RACQ or RACV/NRMA endorsement. It could just be the cold weather as well ....summer is just around the corner.
hako is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
xr4_laser

idle speed motor! but it's difficult to catch it in the act whilst testing. yours sounds good compared to what mine was doing. I got a quote for a new one but it's about $1000 genuine and you can't get aftermarket. I was gettting a new after market ecu anyway so my idle speed runs straight from the computer and its way better than all the original crap.
food for thought. but I bet it's doing your head in like it did mine?
xr4_laser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post