Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Great brakes

This guy reckons he braked so hard it made his contact lens pop out, yeah right.

A SYDNEY P-plater deemed a habitual traffic offender has blamed a contact lens that "popped off his eye" for a high-speed crash that killed a 50-year-old grandfather.

Minh Nguyen, 24, was allegedly driving a yellow Honda convertible S2000 at high speed along the Hume Highway when it swerved across a median strip into oncoming traffic at Warwick Farm. The car hit a Toyota HiAce van driven by Toufic El-Zahab, who died at the scene.

A young female passenger in the van sustained minor injuries while Nguyen was trapped in his car with major injuries.

The court yesterday heard witnesses told police they saw the convertible racing a motorcycle shortly before the crash "at a speed believed to be well in excess of the prevailing 70km/h'' speed limit.

However, when Nguyen, of Macquarie Fields in Sydney's southwest, was arrested on Tuesday after a lengthy investigation by the metropolitan crash investigation unit, he denied he was street racing.

"He (said) a vehicle cut him off and he braked hard. This caused the contact lens to pop off his eye, causing him to panic and brake harder,'' police documents tendered to court alleged. "Subsequently he lost control and crashed into westbound lanes.''

Investigators have determined that the accident occurred at dusk on an overcast and dry evening. They could not locate any fault or defect with either vehicle.

At Central Local Court yesterday Nguyen pleaded not guilty to one count of dangerous driving occasioning death and one further count of negligent driving.

His lawyer Phillip Stewart applied for bail, which was unopposed by police on condition his wife deposit $2000 as surety and he report to police three times a week. A married man with three children, the court heard Nguyen was unemployed and received benefits of $700 per fortnight.

He will reside at his Macquarie Fields address and must report to police every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The matter will return to Liverpool Local Court on February 25.

The court yesterday heard Nguyen's traffic record - which runs for more than three pages - showed he had been found guilty of driving recklessly and in a dangerous manner in 2004, for which he was fined $1000 and disqualified for 12 months.

The following year he was caught driving while disqualified, for which he was sentenced to a two-year suspended jail term. The RTA issued him with a habitual offender warning letter in 2005.

His criminal record also includes speeding and repeated offences for not displaying P-plates. He has also previously been charged with supplying a prohibited drug.

Magistrate Julie Huber noted he was not considered a flight risk but said he was "not to drive a motor vehicle in the state of NSW - that's any kind of motor vehicle.''

Old 08-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Can't happen.

I've been wearing Contacts for 15 years, and I have never had one fall out, let alone when driving, water-skiing, or at all.

This is one of those 'any excuse'll do' type scenarios, where they driver will blame anybody but themselves. His record indicates that he isn't the world's greatest driver, and couldn't face loosing his license again. It was his own stupid fault, and has to face the facts - he was in the wrong.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
strike

Is he an Australian citizen??? If not deport him, at best this guy needs to spend a little time reflecting behind bars
strike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

What a looser seems like he has had plenty of warnings time for a serious reality check and a good time with bubba for say 10 or 15yrs. You could not seriously expect anyone to believe that crap I dont know too many people who could say his contact lense fell out causing his car to skid and land ontop of an oncoming van with a straight face. No not racing just doin 70k's yea right. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
You could not seriously expect anyone to believe that crap I dont know too many people who could say his contact lense fell out causing his car to skid and land ontop of an oncoming van with a straight face. No not racing just doin 70k's yea right. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

I don't think anybody who has worn contact lenses could state that they have had one pop off their eyes. The Soft Lenses aren't rigid enough to move at speed. Unless the idiot put the bloody thing in wrong, he has no excuse at all.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee

His lawyer Phillip Stewart applied for bail, which was unopposed by police on condition his wife deposit $2000 as surety and he report to police three times a week. A married man with three children, the court heard Nguyen was unemployed and received benefits of $700 per fortnight.

The court yesterday heard Nguyen's traffic record - which runs for more than three pages - showed he had been found guilty of driving recklessly and in a dangerous manner in 2004, for which he was fined $1000 and disqualified for 12 months.

The following year he was caught driving while disqualified, for which he was sentenced to a two-year suspended jail term. The RTA issued him with a habitual offender warning letter in 2005.

His criminal record also includes speeding and repeated offences for not displaying P-plates. He has also previously been charged with supplying a prohibited drug.

Probably jumping the gun, but unemployed and driving an s2000??
Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

It's disgusting to come up with such a lame excuse when your actions resulted in the death of an innocent victim. Clearly he was being a maniac on the road and he needs to be held accountable to the full extent of the law.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

He should have been jailed already with such a history, it may have saved a life.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yes that was the first thing i thought when i read the highlighted bit, $700 a fortnight isn't enuf to look after three kids let alone having a (modified) s2000 (unless the Mrs has a great paying job of course).
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
bd737

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Drugs.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
Yes that was the first thing i thought when i read the highlighted bit, $700 a fortnight isn't enuf to look after three kids let alone having a (modified) s2000 (unless the Mrs has a great paying job of course).

If his mrs has a great paying job he better be charged with fraud aswell. Heck I earn a measely $670pw after tax and when my partner leaves er job to have our second child apparantly I earn enough to support the whole family, this includes rent, bills, car, contents and health insurance etc. My guess is he get's a little more than benefits from other dubious avenues.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be recently unemployed and made (most of) his money from a proper job, but chances are he earned the money for the Honda via illegal means as he has previously been caught doing. As for the cause of the crash, I'd say it is BS and he's just trying to weasel out of greater charges.
For a guy with 3 kids, he should have got rid of the Honda.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #13
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doubt it, the guy just isn't man enough to admit it's his fault.

As for the car, I wouldn't be surprised if it was paid off by his family (something about the Asian mindset - driving a higher class car = higher respect from others, I'd know, I'm Asian myself), that or it's supplied through "other" means.

Hope he gets what he deserves, that's just utterly stupid.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #14
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Sounds like any excuse will do and that he doesn't give a rats that he's killed a man in the process, this type of scum don't deserve freedom.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I don't think anybody who has worn contact lenses could state that they have had one pop off their eyes. The Soft Lenses aren't rigid enough to move at speed. Unless the idiot put the bloody thing in wrong, he has no excuse at all.
And, even if one fell out, you do not go blind! The other eye is still working and the brain will compensate (look at the new "bi-focal" contact lens's and how they work). Crap.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
axeray

Whether the lens fell out or not doesn't matter. He was speeding and should go to jail for killing someone.

The lens story is probably the lawyers idea.
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
dave289
Banned

this lowlife should have already been behind bars ,but our gutless court system allows these people to continually do the wrong thing and get away with it. he has proven he has no regard for the safety of others many times over prior to this incident and should have been locked up for basically continually putting the public at risk before this incident. this is what the law is supposedly for.yet they let him off again and again until he kills someone and now they let him off again. he should be jailed now because he has proven he will also drive whilst disqualified and may kill somebody again.this proves the court system is a total joke.why do i have to put up with this . :

ps. as for the lens coming out what a load of .not only does he kill somebody but makes further insults by coming up with this crap and not having the guts to accept what he has done and admit it.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd737
Drugs.
yeah i'd have to say drug's considering where he live's aswell.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
351capri
windsorman

i call bs. unemployed,driving S2000, young female passenger (not Wife), history of infringements and drug conviction. DRUG DEALER / PIMP. should have been locked up on the spot. only feel sorry for the family of driver who died. this guy will only disregard his penalties and keep driving and possibly kill someone else. repeat, should be locked up..
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my glasses fell off while driving once. It was hot, my face was sweaty and when I wiped my forehead I knocked my glasses off. Here's the big surprise...

I didn't crash

No-one else crashed

No-one died

No -one was injured.

I took the next exit and picked them up out of the floorwell

I guess I was just lucky, eh?
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Lets assume he isn't lying about the contact lens. If he braked so hard that a contact popped out, then braked harder and lost control, he is lying about not speeding.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Magistrate Julie Huber noted he was not considered a flight risk but said he was "not to drive a motor vehicle in the state of NSW - that's any kind of motor vehicle.''
Have a look at his prior offences no wonder he has an s2000 and hes on unemployment benefits
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #23
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol @ "my lens popped out" thats a new one to use. inventive but what a douche. someone died u idiot. be a man and take responsibility.

an, shall we call an "aquiantace" of mine lodged his car into a pole a few months back......his arguement to insurance? "his alarm went off and all the lights and siren went off and he paniced and swerved into the pole"....smart one....if his car had an alarm....
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #24
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

He may as well just said vtec kicked in and his contact lens came off his eyeball and up behind his eyelid. Anyone that wears contact lens know that they just don't pop off.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I've been wearing Contacts for 15 years, and I have never had one fall out, let alone when driving, water-skiing, or at all.
True, Hell ... I even swim with them in and can open my eyes under water!
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think my mate has the same lawyer, gee they come up with some great sories dont they!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #27
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not knowing physics too well but at a guess I'd say if his car decallorated so quickly his contact lens popped out then I'd say his head would have also been ripped off his shoulders.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its possible , my au has such good brakes this happened to my lady friend .....and its permanent!!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351capri
i call bs. unemployed,driving S2000, young female passenger (not Wife), history of infringements and drug conviction. DRUG DEALER / PIMP.
Young female passenger was in the van....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post