Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Need a new webhost, any referrals?

e Well, as the title suggests, I'm seeking a new web-host, the guy I've been using for @2 years is moving on. Now, not being too familiar (or interested) with how web-hosting works, I really need to keep it simple & make a smooth transition from the current host to the new one. Have been quoted from "Net-registry" but frankly, not too happy (have my domain-name registered there) but would like to hear any good recommendations or perhaps even from anyone who may wish to take me on board. :

Old 03-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

www.flexihostings.net.au

I have 5 accounts with them, 2 of them very big accounts for my company, the other 3 personal projects.

I also have 3 friends who use them for company sites (one of which is "2ndOwner" on here), and 5+ friends who use them for personal projects.. none of us have had any problems, customer service is excellent, uptime is excellent, and they provide EVERYTHING you could need.

If you're interested PM me I have some vouchers that they give out to longterm customers.. gives you free trial etc. (no I don't get paid for referring them I just like them, and I use some of the vouchers for myself so that's my payment :P)
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
max^power
Formerly au^ute

http://www.webhostingtalk.com.au/ check that out
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Im with net registry, they are pretty easy to setup within a few hours but as I have learnt they can have their issues, *which cost me 1200 dollars in charge out time yesturday*.

I have a few sites with them and only use them because i register the domains with them, i think it costs about $200 a year for 50mb.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
neb
hibernating

i've recently got hosting through hostweblive.com.au who seem very good value for money and haven't had any problems with for the couple of months that i've been with them
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depending on how much data you want on the net, and what you need to do... these guys are good for low latency....
Oz Servers
I had the intention with some mates of setting up a gaming server network, these guys came out on top for the best deal... at that time...

This is from Optus Cable....

Pinging chasm.ozservers.com.au [202.125.32.101] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 202.125.32.101: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=58
Reply from 202.125.32.101: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=58
Reply from 202.125.32.101: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=58
Reply from 202.125.32.101: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 202.125.32.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 11ms
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

I used to be with www.host4half.com, pretty happy with it.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
Madhatter
EF Fairmont Ghia

i just signed up with dreamhost, i figured, well if they turn out to be crap i still have the free domain they give you when you sign up.

They are surposed to be pretty good, its just recently people have reported slow load times when running scripts (database stuff, basically limited cpu time), im going to install joomla tonight, but so far i havent had a problem pulling down 60k speeds from the server on my adsl connection.

I mean, $12 for a years hosting with all the space they offer, its hardly going to cost you a packet if it turns out to be crap.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, some excellent info there. That's what I love about this Forum, the real enthusiasts (like myself) who are more than happy to lend a hand & point someone in the right direction. Now to start contacting some hosts & obtaining quotes. _2:
Old 03-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
biomechanic
Freudian Slippers

www.quadrahosting.com.au
www.ilisys.com.au/

// JMM "Street Fighter" Headers
// JMM 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust
// JMM Ignition Leads
// JMM Hi-Performance Valve Springs
// Mandrel bent intake
// K&N Pod Filter
// 17" x 8" GT wheels
// 130+ rwkw
biomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

www.solidinternet.com - very cheap and a pretty good deal for $50 a year. Hosted in america though, so may not be as quick. Good for a personal site.

http://www.netlogistics.com.au/hosting/velocity.php - fast, reliable and easy to configure. They have live chat based support and respond to any other emails very well. I'm impressed, but they are a bit more expensive. Better for a business.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
BlackLS

If its not a .com.au domain, just use a overseas hosting package.

For a very small payment you get heaps more downloads etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post