Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
MrsM

Default interstate transport

can anyone recommend a good auto transport company? Bris - Melb. I dont mind going to a depot to pick the car up, not necessarily after the fastest or cheapest either. Thanks in advance

MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Moved to 'The Pub' to attract a broader audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsM
oh jeez oh jeez. I found my car and its AVAILABLE!!!

only problem is that its in QLD but you know, if the vehicle check comes out ok I am buying it. I dont know a single person up in QLD that can test drive it for me but this is exactly the kind of situation I am always too late in. This baby is mine
Vehicle under consideration would be a Territory if it matters but I'm pretty sure there are not 'Ford Territory' specific auto transport companies ;)
Old 27-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsM
can anyone recommend a good auto transport company? Bris - Melb. I dont mind going to a depot to pick the car up, not necessarily after the fastest or cheapest either. Thanks in advance
We have a wonderful AFF member who does this route for Toll. Contact him for any advice - very helpful fella and the nicest! Do a member search for Whoosha

Cheers
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
MrsM

I heard one or two people say toll is good so I might give them a call. And thanks Raptor!!
Old 27-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
MrsM

ok as a general rule, do most auto transport companies have the vehicles enclosed and protected from stone chips etc, or in the open on the back of a truck?

edit: I will pm whoosha and ask them too
Old 28-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

I would HIGHLY recommend using an established and reputable company like Toll.

I have bought cars interstate before using the cheaper alternatives to the Toll's of this world, and have had issues along the lines of the following :
1/ On one trip, the car was on the lower level of a two tier truck and the car immediately above it on the upper level must have had leaking brakes, the result being that the paintwork was damaged due to the dripping brake fluid. Brake fluid and paintwork don't mix !
2/ Very minor damage and/or scrapes and/or marks which no one will be prepared to take the blame for, despite the fact that there may have been an inspection done on the car prior to dropping off the car to the transport company.
3/ As a result of the car being on the front of the top level of an open two level truck, the car arrived half covered in squashed bugs and insects which then took ages trying to remove, as by the time you then get the car they have all dried onto the paintwork and are hard to remove.

With Toll you can request (and pay for) varying levels of transport as I recall, such as a covered or an uncovered truck, as well as various other options. May be a bit different now as I haven't had to transport a car interstate before, so I would check the options and don't be afraid to pay that little bit more for the extra piece of mind.

Hope this experience of mine helps you.
Old 28-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My parents used www.movingcars.com.au, which is the nice pleasant face of Patrick Auto Care, to get their cars from Melb to Bris.

Nothing to complain about, both cars arrived 100% undamaged and on time.

Cost wise was about $800 depot to depot, more for site to site/depot, etc. This is for an NL Fairlane, and I'd expect it would be the same sort of cost to bring back to Melb.

For me, if you really loved the car and wanted it undamaged... For that $800 I'd go buy a car bra and fly there and drive it back. You'd still end up with change in your pocket and at least have the knowledge it arrived safely. Working in the transport industry, I know no matter how hard you try, no one will care for it like the owner.

I know it contrary to opinion here, but Toll would be the last company I'd use to transport anything... Even my Christmas cards.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Bris to Melb should be easy as most cars go up there not back.

There are a couple of caravan transporters in the Melb area that take vans up and go back empty, or with a couple of cars on the back.

Failing that try CEVA car carriers. I've never had the need to use them but they do have covered trailers as well as the regular (open) ones.

You can even get an online quote :

http://cevacarcarrying.com.au/index.html
Old 29-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Brisbane to Melbourne is one of the cheapest trips because the trucks are fairly empty. $800 sounds very steep to me. Last time I organised a vehicle it was Adelaide to Melbourne for $170 plus GST. As said - trust Whoosha'a judgement and advice on this one.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I have transported cars interstate.. Sadly what you see them leave on isnt always what they get transported on.. I had a brand new F250 come outta Melbourne in 2007 (yes it was old stock) and it changed trucks a few times, and unfortunately turned up here with a considerable amount of damage. Luckily enough Toll fixed it as the delivery dockets noted everything plus it was a brand new car, but being second hand means its harder to prove the vehicles original state.

Having driven from Brisbane to Melbourne and having just sold a car to Melbourne if i was you id come pick it up.. Few hundred in flights + $300 in petrol is cheaper then $750 plus the stress of having something go wrong with it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Failing that try CEVA car carriers. I've never had the need to use them but they do have covered trailers as well as the regular (open) ones.
I wouldn't touch CEVA either. They sit lower on the ladder than Toll.

Their Melbourne depot is in the same complex as one of our warehouses, and by the way I've seen them load cars, its none too pretty.

They are also the worst on the other end, as Brisbane workers generally have even less care than their Melbourne counterparts, which is scary considering what I see some of the Melbourne guys do.

It's gotten that bad that when a customer of ours wants stock moved from Melbourne to Bris, or Sydney to Bris, they wait until they get a full load so the truck can go site to site, even if its to the detriment of their customer. This means we load and unload and there is no touching of the pallets between the 2 operations.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
botch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TOLL SPONSORS HOLDENS ! enough said
botch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by botch
TOLL SPONSORS HOLDENS ! enough said
So, on your way of thinking I should throw our 3 Vodafone mobiles away as 888 is going over to Holden? :
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
So, on your way of thinking I should throw our 3 Vodafone mobiles away as 888 is going over to Holden? :
Gee who said you were slow on the uptake :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Gee who said you were slow on the uptake :
I think you've mentioned it once or twice
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #16
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking at a car in WA and I got a quote back yesterday saying $770 and 12 days. I can't understand how a trip half the distance costs just as much, if not more...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post