Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
GULL
TuRbO

Default Cameras To Tackle Tail Gating

Dont like speed cameras,but I think this is a good idea and well overdue
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...010760,00.html

Old 25-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a suitable statement or opinion to hold

Last edited by HSE2; 25-08-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Not a suitable statement or opinion to hold
Old 25-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Is it really the first of April???
Old 25-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
downthetrack

If they did bring them in it would bring the trucking industry to a grinding halt seeing as it is rare to find a truck that isn't tailgating:
Old 25-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
torbirdie

Be interesting to see how it is enforced?

A 2 second following distance used to be what was recommended, try that in city traffic and you nearly go backwards with people cutting into the gap you leave in front.

Current research is lending to 4 seconds, (thats about 110m at 100km/h) but if we could get the average creton in this country to obey the 2 sec rule(especially truck drivers), then things would improve.

The recommendations are based on what is a reasonable time for the driver to react to what they see happening ahead and to be able to brake inside the stopping distance of the vehicle ahead, it may stop faster than it normally can due to hitting something!, but the probablity of it coming to a dead stop in the middle of the road(a concrete barrier popping up and stopping it), would be low!

Some recommend larger distances for the wet, cant hurt, but I dont think the physics holds up, the vehicle in front isnt going to be able to stop as quickly either.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

It would only be morally acceptable if, at the same time, they also determined whether the leading car had been in the right lane for several kilometers and had not obeyed the 'keep left unless overtaking' rule, or if the lead driver on either a dual-lane or single-lane road was travelling at anything less than the posted speed limit + 3%.

THEN a tailgating camera could be considered a genuine tool, and not just another revenue generator.

Luke
Old 25-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey if they want to tail gate and cop the stone chips ruining their investment in their car I say more power to them, and slowing down tends to make them get off your bumper, nothing worse than being right on the speed limit with some twat right on your rear because you aren't going fast enough, almost as annoying as people that think its sport to hide in the blind spot of another vehicle and then go ape when the other driver tries to merge and doesn't know you are there :

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 25-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
It would only be morally acceptable if, at the same time, they also determined whether the leading car had been in the right lane for several kilometers and had not obeyed the 'keep left unless overtaking' rule, or if the lead driver on either a dual-lane or single-lane road was travelling at anything less than the posted speed limit + 3%.

THEN a tailgating camera could be considered a genuine tool, and not just another revenue generator.

Luke
Exactly. The amount of drivers who sit in the right lane of the monash fwy at 80 - 90km/h is just ridiculous. The government and police should be enforcing the keep left unless overtaking rule.

In saying that, I would like this camera to be brought in to try and limit the amount of arrogant truck drivers who think it is fun to sit on your bumper. I don't see the point of them doing this, certainly not going to gain any aerodynamic advantage by attempting a slipstream.

As for the guy talking about the blind spots, a simple headcheck will verify if someone is in your blind spot. Mirrors won't always show everything.
It works both ways.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
XD.XG.XR6.XR8
Starter Motor

Maybe if they do something about driver's traveling under the speed limit in the right hand lane would help , cause it would sure stop me tail gating.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Spark plug insulators, kept in the centre console.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 25-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the idea of a vacuum-operated motor to fold down your tailplate, where there is a wiper jet motor hooked up to a bottle of brake fluid.
Old 25-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I like the idea of a vacuum-operated motor to fold down your tailplate, where there is a wiper jet motor hooked up to a bottle of brake fluid.
I might just install one of those...
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 25-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Make sure you have armouralled your drivers seat first.
This will help prevent the urine and blood staining permanently when you discover that in the real world, as opposed to the fantasy world in computer room, being a "super hero warrior for justice" has consequences........
Old 25-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Springfield_Johny

Quote:

Would it be too hard to run some rubber brake line from the passenger compartment out under the boot so you could pour some brake fluid into it? Although I sorta think you'd get it all over your own car as well

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 25-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbirdie
Be interesting to see how it is enforced?
Some recommend larger distances for the wet, cant hurt, but I dont think the physics holds up, the vehicle in front isnt going to be able to stop as quickly either.
A car that T-bones a truck will stop much faster then the car following behind.
Old 25-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
And the idea of the other driver bashing you into another world? :P
Old 25-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
This will help prevent the urine and blood staining permanently when you discover that in the real world, as opposed to the fantasy world in computer room, being a "super hero warrior for justice" has consequences........
well posted I was going to give you rep points but i cant atm

some here need to grow up and think about what can really happen outside the key board

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #18
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason98.EL
well posted I was going to give you rep points but i cant atm

some here need to grow up and think about what can really happen outside the key board

Jason
Hey you guys know I wasn't being serious right? I guess there are some people that you really just have to spell everything out for.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
jonk

Those type of cameras have been in use on the Southern Express Way here in South Oz since it was built. Although haven't heard of anyone getting caught by them so maybe it could be a little bit of scaremongering, on the government's part...
Old 25-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey you guys know I wasn't being serious right? I guess there are some people that you really just have to spell everything out for.
If you intend something to be a joke then indicate it is such otherwise it will be taken seriously and you will be treated accordingly.

The general public read these fora and posts like that do not show us in a good light or worse still if some moron actually does do what you posted guess which group of people get the blame.....
Old 25-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
HSE2

Gone far enough gentlemen
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Closed Thread