Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Mr. Whippy

Default Black cars & handwash carwash

Hi,

what is everyone's opinion on handwash carwash places? Better to wash the car yourself? I have a black F6 and it gets dirty fast, so I'm thinking of taking it down to a handwashing place (Watershed on Spencer St West Melb) regularly as I dont have much time to clean it and there seems to be a never ending supply of black Cayennes, Stateman's, BMW's etc getting washed there so I thought it may be ok.

Also, I've just noticed what appears to be a white film/halo effect on the rear spoiler... would this be buff marks from the factory polish? I never noticed it when I picked the car up, I only saw it the other day when the sunlight hit it on a certain angle.

Best,
MrW

Mr. Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I HAD been using the local car wash to wash the wifes XR8 but taking my own bucket & sponge.
After spending 2 days washing, paint restoring, polishing and waxing due to the paint going very dull, then someone pointed out that the water used is only filtered and reused.
So when i saw people washing down boats, trail bikes, bobcats and even a V8 engine on the back of a trailer, i decided a water tank at home was the solution.
Never again at a car wash.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Yeah I heard that about car washes aswell that they use recycled filtered water and have never been back. I guess it'd be like sandblasting your car every time you wash it there as there is still very very fine rubbish that gets through the filter. How true it is I dont know but im not taking the chance if I can just as easily do it myself at home.

cheers
Luke

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

The white film/halo effect sounds alot like swirl marks or marring, from incorrect washing methods or from incorrect buffer use. Generally taking a car to a hand wash place will be somewhere swirl marks will be added, as they will be washing the car as quick as possible and not worrying about swirls and other paint damage.

Take your car to a proper detailer, get the swirls removed, and take it back to them to wash it. Will cost more, but the car will look a million times better for it.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Mr. Whippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
The white film/halo effect sounds alot like swirl marks or marring, from incorrect washing methods or from incorrect buffer use
Hmm, well the car has only been washed once and that was by me, and then was when I noticed the white halos

Quote:
Take your car to a proper detailer, get the swirls removed, and take it back to them to wash it. Will cost more, but the car will look a million times better for it.
I think I will be mentioning it to the dealership when I take it into the 3,000 kms service. Do you mean take it back to the detailers to wash it or back to the handwash place afterwards?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

You'll find it's law that cashwash places have to recycle there used water and it would go through a few filters before being used again, so saying it would be like sandblasting your car is way over the top
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whippy
Hmm, well the car has only been washed once and that was by me, and then was when I noticed the white halos

I think I will be mentioning it to the dealership when I take it into the 3,000 kms service. Do you mean take it back to the detailers to wash it or back to the handwash place afterwards?
Dealer would of washed it pre delivery, maybe more than once, and having heard a few stories about car dealer detailers, it wouldn't surprise me if they came from the dealer.

Take it back to the detailer, or wash it yourself, read up on a few detailing forums about correct washing techniques, and you wont have any dramas with swirls, or will at least minimise them.

Cheers
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the car washes do use recycled water, but as far as it being like a sand blaster.... dont think so. Take a bucket and sponge with tap water in it and wash it at the car wash. It'l cost you $2 with a rinse before and after rinse. Keep the car regularly waxed and you shouldnt have a prob

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
Dealer would of washed it pre delivery, maybe more than once, and having heard a few stories about car dealer detailers, it wouldn't surprise me if they came from the dealer.

Take it back to the detailer, or wash it yourself, read up on a few detailing forums about correct washing techniques, and you wont have any dramas with swirls, or will at least minimise them.

Cheers
Yeah I can confirm this too, my mazda came with swirls all over the bonnet from the dealer... didn't notice it at first because you can only see them in a certain light and at a certain angle. :
Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
desGT

Quote:
...what is everyone's opinion on handwash carwash places? Better to wash the car yourself? I have a black F6 and it gets dirty fast, so I'm thinking of taking it down to a handwashing place (Watershed on Spencer St West Melb) regularly as I dont have much time to clean it...
(Would never allow someone else to wash my car)

Check out the place in the garage a block away (corner Rosslyn and Spencer). I do not know if they recycle theie water (small operation but popular). These are "owners" rather than staff at Watershed. (My GT is parked opposite there at the moment).

Couple of blocks down on Spencer (going out of town, right side near Radio Parts) is another "do it yourself" car wash and I think they also offer a service to do it for you - however, do it yourself!
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
desGT

Quote:
Also, I've just noticed what appears to be a white film/halo effect on the rear spoiler... would this be buff marks from the factory polish? I never noticed it when I picked the car up, I only saw it the other day when the sunlight hit it on a certain angle.
Have you tried to polish it? If hard swirl marks in the pain, Meguir's ScratchX is fantastic. I work local to Spencer, if you want to contact me and arrange a meeting, I can bring some polish and ScratchX(probably not needed) and we can have a look at it?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats a good detailing forum? Preferably Australian?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nevermind, I found Detail paradise, anyone know where you can buy scratch x?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

there is the ford forums section under paint etc.

I used to take it to those self car washing places, but never again after I found out how much damage you can do to them. They have their places but I'd only used the high pressure hose on my car if it was exceptionally dirty.

Other than that, I use a bucket of filtered tap water a clean chamois and a bottle of style magic waterless cleaner. Thats all.

Although, it is best if you remove any swirl marks, marring or impurities from the paint and detailing it, that way when you wash your car, it looks like its been detailed all the time.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Whats a good detailing forum?
We have one right here WAXIT - ONLINE CAR CARE
Old 05-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

or the generic ford detailing forum http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=151

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Nevermind, I found Detail paradise, anyone know where you can buy scratch x?
Almost any car place (Autobarn, Supercheap, Bursons etc).

However, try standard polish first!!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:

take a walk around your local car park on a sunny(ish) day every car gets them. ive noticed silver barely shows them and white doesnt show them at all, the worst ford colours seem to be sillouhette, ego and seduce.. but thats just from wat ive seen.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
take a walk around your local car park on a sunny(ish) day every car gets them. ive noticed silver barely shows them and white doesnt show them at all, the worst ford colours seem to be sillouhette, ego and seduce.. but thats just from wat ive seen.
That's why I'd like to go for a white or silver car next time round!

Darn dark colours. LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
That's why I'd like to go for a white or silver car next time round!

Darn dark colours. LOL!

GK
But dark colors look like sex when polished and detailed. But yes you have to keep the paint maintained constantly with darker cars.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #21
Luke3000

Mum just bought a brand new accord euro in black and it needs to be washed like every second day!
Personally i would have bought white but you know, the car looks alright but i find that it seems to take away from the cars lines.
wash parents cars myself and think thats the best way.
Can't wait to be able to get my licence then i can get my own car, and trust me it will be immaculate lol.
Luke3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
Mr. Whippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
Have you tried to polish it? If hard swirl marks in the pain, Meguir's ScratchX is fantastic. I work local to Spencer, if you want to contact me and arrange a meeting, I can bring some polish and ScratchX(probably not needed) and we can have a look at it?
Hey thanks for the kind offer, I think I'll get Ford to take a look at it first as its due for the 3,000 km service next week
Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
Mr. Whippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
there is the ford forums section under paint etc.

I used to take it to those self car washing places, but never again after I found out how much damage you can do to them. They have their places but I'd only used the high pressure hose on my car if it was exceptionally dirty.

Other than that, I use a bucket of filtered tap water a clean chamois and a bottle of style magic waterless cleaner. Thats all.

Although, it is best if you remove any swirl marks, marring or impurities from the paint and detailing it, that way when you wash your car, it looks like its been detailed all the time.
Ok I think I've been talked out of not washing the car myself. Should a brand new car need to be detailed? Is there any detailers people recommend? Apologies if this thread was posted in the wrong section, feel free to move it if so
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

generally new car should need any sort of correction, although I would recommend making sure the paintwork is clean and sealed.

Im sure WAXIT our site sponsor could offer some easy suggestions for your new paint.

Alternatively, speak to Matt (SVR73) for some assistance. He has a wealth of knowledge

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
SVR73
Mr Polish

Those white halo's are usually Holograms from rotary polishing due to one of these reasons

Not slowing down the machine once the polish is broken down
Dry buffing (product has dried up and pad is moving along the dry paint)
Buffing with rotary polisher with dirty wool or foam pads (broken down polish and the clear coat that has been removed will marr the paint)

this is easily removed with a light abrasive polish using a rotary or an orbital

The self serve car washes have their place, especially for cleaning wheel arches and bottom of doors if the car is absolutely filthy
The main problem with them is poorly recycled water, 1100 psi or more high pressure water being aimed directly at the paint which causes marring and their soaps can be very high on the PH scale, which dries out the paint and removes waxes and water soluble sealants (the cheaper ones)

Do not use the brushes there as you will be up for paint correction by a true pro detailer if you do, due to the scratches that they cause

The waterwise method of car washing, developed by Joseph at Dri and Shine auto, which Blueoval and myself use, is the safest and easiest way to clean your car

Just five to eight litres of water, two chamois and either style magic waterwise car wash or your favourite car wash mixed with water and in a spray bottle

use bucket of water to clean the chamois regularly and do one directional, no pressure passes and keep folding the chamois. Clean it after each one or two panels
here is a quick video of it

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=NRdaORNVsg8
Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #26
gtfpv
GT

never ever take your car to any car wash if you care about it . this would be a kin to lending someone your old feller for a day. you'd have to trust them not to stick it where you wouldnt . and i'm not that trust worthy . i'm afraid it ( your car) may get marks all over it .
your standards may be high, doesnt mean a car wash which handles hundreds of cars a day, have the same standards . never never never. it aint worth the risk.
think of what your time would be worth to wash your car , takes up to 7 hours of hard work for perfection.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #27
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a sihouette tezza and I can never have it as clean as I like, I am contemplating the meguiars waterless wash, bit like automotive spray and wipe, just make sure the cars clean ( no mud hanging off it) and apply the spray, then wipe off.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Yeah I heard that about car washes aswell that they use recycled filtered water and have never been back. I guess it'd be like sandblasting your car every time you wash it there as there is still very very fine rubbish that gets through the filter.
think about it , tap water comes from a dam with sand and mud in it so it's not as grit free as you would think . a good recycling and filter system can actually render better water ( as far as fine grit is concerned) than the tap water we all think is so good

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #29
IDT
Marko

If you're thinking of using a car wash at all I suggest you go down to your local car wash and half fill a clean white bucket with the water provided. I did and found that, apart from the filthy and milky colour of the water, after leaving it for five minutes I tipped all but an inch out. There was a fine layer of grit on the bottom of the bucket. Thats from about four litres of water Do it on a busy day and I wouldn't be surprised if it was even worse.

This is a place that filters the water and has all the legally required stuff in place to, so IMO the guys who say it's like sand blasting are not that far from the truth.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #30
nobbystang

Quote:
Should a brand new car need to be detailed? Is there any detailers people recommend? Apologies if this thread was posted in the wrong section, feel free to move it if so
Definately needs detailing, especially since allot of car dealers don't do it properly, if at all.

PM sent, but for you other guys. I can recommend Final Inspection. I had a Silhouette BF XR6 that came out stunning after a visit. He is setting up a new workshop at the moment, but if you're in Melbourne and want the best, you can't go past Damian.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post