Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Good deeds and kind gestures

I was just talking to a friend of mine and we were both having a bit of a chat about things and noticed how negative everything was sounding. You know stuff like, kids don't do their homework, price of petrol is so expensive..etc. It was all doom and gloom.

Then the conversation turned to..Has anything good happened lately?

Yes, good things have happened lately. They might not be the biggest things and sometime they are just small things that have gone unnoticed due to having busy lives etc.

For example, yesterday I was in the shops and the checkouts were all flat out, including the self serve ones and I only had one item. A gentleman let me go ahead of him and I was out of there in no time.

It was a good deed, a kind gesture that was over in a second but made my day so much easier.

I have noticed people (myself included) dismiss the little, good things that happen to us on a daily basis.

Well, I want to hear about them. I don't want to read anymore negative posts. How about some good news for a change?

What good deed, kind gesture have you been shown or shown to someone else lately?

Old 21-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Re: Good deeds and kind gestures

Human nature to remember the negative things…If remember is the right word.

I’ll use shopping as an example…if you go somewhere and get terrible service, you’re more likely to go out and have a whinge to friends, post it on facebook, etc….How often do you go somewhere and boast to friends about great service you received? It happens but not very often I think.

My missus is terrible for it, always full of negativity, whinges about everything….Even whinges at me for always being positive, go figure haha.

Anyways, good deed or kind gesture lately…

My olds were in a bit of a pickle I figured but the old boys too proud to ask me for help, I rang him to let him know I’d help and transferred a quite hefty sum of money over to him as we spoke….Week or so later mum was going to pay the money back…just told her no thanks mum, you keep it. Sure it put me out a little bit finance wise for the month, but I helped my parents out and to me that’s more important.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I don't want to read any more negative posts. How about some good news for a change?
Agreed. The negativity that often pops up here just turns me off the forums sometimes.

Anyway, as for kind gestures: When I let people merge in front of me on the road, or let them in from side turnings, most of them acknowledge me with a wave of thanks. By the same token, when people let me in I give them a smile and/or a wave.
Or in the odd instance when a hotted-up car pulls up next to me at the lights and the driver is looking at me, I tell him his car looks cool or his rims look great. I've found that when a person knows that others like his car it makes him feel good about it without feeling like he has to race everyone to prove something.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I try and do 1 good deed everyone to a stranger and its as simple as do u need a hand.............
Old 21-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

These are the things I am talking about. The little things that people do that you never hear or really think about.

The wave when someone lets you in to merge in traffic. The person who gives you a parking spot. The person who just smiles at you for no reason.

All goes to make our days a little better
Old 21-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I let a Holden into a line of traffic ahead of me the other day (my good deed), and the driver actually waved thanks (his good deed)!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

im always in a good mood.. as i attend school, i always try to help out as much as possible, and if people are being negative about something or something has happened, I'll always talk and listen to them.

I also have good stuff come my way too, and it just makes me happy that when I help, I get something in return.. It really makes my day.
Old 21-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do little things such as holding open doors for ladies to come through, happily let someone infront of me in a line if I'm in no hurry and they clearly are.
Old 21-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The same theory applies to business. You deliver good customer service, the customer might tell one other person, maybe. Deliver bad customer service, the customer will tell 10 without a doubt.

Big fan of the courtesy wave while in the car. People letting you jump out in front of them in traffic. Far too often, you'll see people almost clip you trying to make sure they get in front or out first.

I've learnt over the year, seeing someone under a bit of stress at work, or having bad day, just asking them " You all good? You OK? " goes along way.

Working in retail, if you get a smile off a nice young lady or a " how are ya mate? " off a bloke as they pass you by, it always feels good. Far too often, idiots are prone to simply try to step on you.

We also have an old bloke who will do some shopping one day, come in the next day and thank us just for, I guess, working hard and giving him the time of day when he comes in. I still have a women thank me every time she sees me, months later for helping her understand her Wireless Internet set up.

Theres countless others at work. But for every good response theres a handful of idiots trying to bust your balls because they think they know better or just refuse to be happy.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
I do little things such as holding open doors for ladies to come through, happily let someone infront of me in a line if I'm in no hurry and they clearly are.
Same,

But Col without putting a negative spin on this, there is hardly any thanks for doing right. It's like others expect these things done for them and if they don't get it, then they whinge.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Well I look at it this way...that old saying...It takes a village to raise a child is pretty apt...It takes a community to make attitudes change.

We can all go on about, this is wrong and that sucks...all I am saying is a little positiveness goes a long way! People don't change unless an effort is made.

These little things we do, they all combine to make ours and others days better.

I will not stop being positive just because everyone around me is negative...

And your right! More Thanks does need to be said and shown.
Old 21-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think these days good deeds aren't often reciprocated or appreciated, so many think buggar it, why bother .

My most recent good deed was giving a woman in front of me at the train ticket machine a $1 coin one peak hour morning a month or so ago as she was a bit short of small change and didn't have enough to buy her ticket to the city
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I like this thread :-)

I usually hold doors for people or let them go through first and most of the time get a thanks.

Sometimes If I see a hitch hiker that looks friendly I'll pull up and give them a lift. Most people would usually drive past and I use to all the time but after having to hitch hike once I now know what a bastard it can be.

Depending on the look of the people I'll even sometimes pull up to help someone who is broken down and they greatly appreciate it.

I find myself fixing mates cars around town all the time or helping them do stuff on them. Most say thanks and usually supply a beer or two which is always good.

Heaps of others but enough from me.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another couple I thought of

I had my place re-carpeted a year ago. There were 3 guys doing the laying.

I went out and bought them back a pie and a cake each for morning tea and access to my soft drink supply in my garage.

Also, as an accountant, I have acted as a treasurer for community groups and sports groups my sons have been involved in over the years free of charge.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 21-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
Fled74
The Thread Killa

This happened 8 years ago, a few months after I arrived in Aus:
I was at a ticket machine at the train station, but before I could put my money in, this old Aussie bloke who was exiting the station gave me his daily ticket, saying he was nearly home and no longer needed it. I thanked him effusively, but he waved it off with a smile.
To this day, on the rare occasion I take public transport, I buy a daily ticket even for shorter trips and give it to someone else when I'm done using it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 21-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
This happened 8 years ago, a few months after I arrived in Aus:
I was at a ticket machine at the train station, but before I could put my money in, this old Aussie bloke who was exiting the station gave me his daily ticket, saying he was nearly home and no longer needed it. I thanked him effusively, but he waved it off with a smile.
To this day, on the rare occasion I take public transport, I buy a daily ticket even for shorter trips and give it to someone else when I'm done using it.
That wouldn't work here as you either have to put your ticket through a machine when exiting for the barrier to open , or otherwise an inspector may be on duty inspecting tickets as you leave the station. In Sydney, if the old bloke gave you the ticket before he got off the train he could be nabbed for having no ticket if say an inspector got on after he handed you the ticket.

Not sure I'd agree that it's a good deed either...a rort is a better word...If everyone did that then revenue from transport would fall dramatically resulting in fares going up to compensate

Old 21-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
That wouldn't work here as you either have to put your ticket through a machine when exiting for the barrier to open , or otherwise an inspector may be on duty inspecting tickets as you leave the station. In Sydney, if the old bloke gave you the ticket before he got off the train he could be nabbed for having no ticket if say an inspector got on after he handed you the ticket.

Not sure I'd agree that it's a good deed either...a rort is a better word...If everyone did that then revenue from transport would fall dramatically resulting in fares going up to compensate
It was a small suburban station and there were no barriers/turnstiles. He gave me the ticket and I validated it on the machine before going onto the platform. I know it sounds (and probably is) dishonest, but I thought the story of an old Aussie helping a new Asian migrant was pretty uplifting.

Old 21-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

On Saturday afternoon I realised I had concert tickets that I'd almost forgotton about for that night (bought months ago). Most of my friends hate the music I like, and I had planned to take my Dad, but he took on a job at the last minute, so I was deciding if I would go by myself, or just let it go ($218 for the tickets down the drain).

My oldest friend rang up early in the evening for help setting up her new computer, and I said I could go help before I went to the concert.
I mentioned I was not having much luck finding any parking stations near the theatre, and not keen on walking around in the city at midnight or catching public transport alone.

She then offered to drive me into the city and come pick me up after the concert, even though she'd worked 13 hours on Saturday, was already in her PJ's, and had to get up at 2am to do another 12 hour shift on Sunday as well.

I thanked her but declined the offer as I know how tired she was, and that she isn't confident driving around the city anyway.

When she realised I had two tickets, she volunteered to come along to the show with me, even though she knew she would only get about an hour's sleep before work.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 21-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
GYRKIN GT

Good thread Coll and you're right. At first glance, you could imagine today's world is filled only with negativity and selfishness. But then, out of the blue, something happens to renew your belief in basic human kindness.

For example, last Saturday week I take my 11yo son on his first beach fishing trip. After fishing, we head back to the car, split the rod in half and put it in the back. As I close the door, the rod's tip falls into the path of the closing door and the tip is crushed. No biggie, I'll just get a new tip.

Anyhow, during the week, I call into BCF at Tuggerah and, no, I have no interests in this store. In fact, it's only the second time I've been there. I take the rod half with the broken tip with me. There is a young bloke serving me. He takes the rod from me, searches through the range of new tips and finds an appropriate one. I say, "okay, I'll need some glue as well". He says, "Mate, save your $4 (for the glue) I'll do it for you for free". The young bloke then proceeds to remove the old tip and then glue the new one on. It took him the best part of 10 minutes to do the job.

Yes, I know what the young bloke did is just good business sense, but I walked out thinking, "Geeze, that's alright". The young bloke was courteous, friendly and absolutely helpful. Will I go back? Of course I will. I'm happy and the young bloke's is a smart cookie. Made my day.
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The other week I went next door to the servo to get some lunch. Got my lunch and walked back to work.

Just as I sat down someone walked into the office…”Did a young bloke just come in here, he dropped this”
I dropped a $5 note and this fellow left his car at the servo to follow me and give it back.
He handed me the $5 and I put it in his front shirt pocket and he went on his merry way.

You reap what you sow!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Around 20 years ago my Dad lost $1,500 in cash kept in a small plastic sealed money bag which he discovered was missing after arriving at my place in Sydney after an Air New Zealand flight from Wellington.

It was a Saturday afternoon and the Air NZ Sydney sales office couldn't help until normal business hours on the following Monday. Until then we backtracked, double checked bags, looked around the car park area where I parked my car . No luck

Spoke to Air NZ on Monday morning and it had been found in the overhead locker by one of their stewards. Overjoyed I drove him to pick it up and when he offered a reward he was told that due to company policy they couldn't accept it.

Good kudos to Air New Zealand for that discovery.

Old 21-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
Geez Louise
Awesome

I try and do something good everyday and it is good when it comes back your way. Here is something that happened to us not that long ago:

On the way to All Ford Day this year, the coupe just died. We pulled over and everyone kept going. (they didn't know we were having car trouble)

Anyway, we called one of the guys (a member on here JG65TE) who drove his coupe down with us. He was already at Deakin Uni but without a second thought he said "No worries mate. We will come back and see what the issue is"

He drove back 20mins to see if he could help us out but the RACV guy had just shown up. In the time we were waiting, two other strangers pulled over to see if we needed a hand and another club member who didn't see us come in at AFD, called to see if there was anything wrong. He was willing to drive back out to where we were to help.

Turned out to be an electrical issue and we entered AFD on the back of a towtruck. ( Trailor queen!)

Having talked to a few people when we did arrive, we didn't know how we were going to get it fixed and we were looking at getting it towed home again. russellw said he would take a look at it. He found the issue and the car was good to go. (Thanks again Russ )

In that one day, we had so many offers of help and people wanting nothing in return. Days like that make you feel good about the world
Old 21-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

helped the coppers move a bmw with deployed airbags off a main road in my lunch break while my lunch sat on the footpath going cold..

helped an old lady who was quite distressed, grabbed all her shopping and put it in my car then drove her home and brought her shopping home. turned out from what i can gather, she was just a lonely old lady who wanted someone to talk to... downside was, i not only ran over my gym bag in my hurry to help her, but i was also late to my muay thai class and forced to do 20 pushups in front of everyone. oh well

i generally like to help people out in distress if i can. Ive been in bad situations before where youre quite helpless and its quite disheartening at how many turn a blind eye so they can get on with their 'busy lives'.
Old 21-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #24
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I like to think that I do general good things everyday like saying hi or waving after merging.

Last week though, I helped a lady at a servo. She pulled in with a flat tyre and had no idea what to do. She was trying to put more air into it. I stopped her and changed her tyre for her. Took me 10 mins on my way home after I filled up and went for air for my tyres.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #25
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132

Great positive thread Geez,
Unfortunately there is always some one who turns a positive into a negative

When we were travelling up north a quite few years ago we had trouble with the fuel filter on our combi. A guy pulled up and helped clear it out and followed us to the next servo which was 60ks up the road. It was a good thing to as the car stopped about 8 times before we got there and each time he would help clear out the filter. He didnt want no thanks or payment in return.

Just recently I was driving along and noticed a Lady standing beside her car on a busy road with a couple of rugrats in the back seat.
I pulled over to see what was up, She had a flat tyre and no Jack. Unfortunately mine wouldn't fit her car so I went down the road to the wreckers and bought one to suit and went back and changed the tyre for her.
In the time I was gone not one person stopped to offer assistance.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #26
Geez Louise
Awesome

I didn't know you did that. What a great act of kindness.

That lady was lucky...She did have a "Jack"
Old 21-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I lent a young bloke $2000 to get his first car.......A GOOD DEED !!!
Old 21-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #28
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Sorry Col, he got the sack and buggered of to Western Australia, never to be seen again :-( Always open doors for Ladies and the Elderly. Always try and help Mums and women if there car is broken down ( In the hope that someone would do that for my wife and daughter )...
Old 21-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Back in '01, I lent a mate several thousand dollars to fix a blown motor in his car. It was every last cent I had, but he was going to lose his job if he couldn't get the car back on the road. Felt pretty good helping him out. Sure, he spent all the money on speed then sold the car to a wrecker, but I'm still basking in the karma.

Good thread idea though, comrade! Some very good deeds posted above.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

without getting on my soap box, i think what is now deemed as a good deed was once just seen as appropriate good manners, like letting a lady or an oldie having your seat on public transport, or holding a door open, or even road courtesy, etc,etc, the good deed does`nt happen as often as it once did i think, back on topic, my good deed for today i let a car through down a narrow street and was acknkowledged with a wave, its nice to get the wave instead of the face that looks like you stood on my cats tail
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post