Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
totallysour
Starter Motor

Default Tinting for a Focus LW

Well, summer is around and I've decided to get my Ford Focus LW Sport 2012 tinted. I'm going to Nth Melb Tint-a-car (pretty good reviews on whirlpool and also fordforums). Just wondering if anyone has had tinting done on their LW's and would be able to give some feedback.

I'm thinking about going for Octane film - darkest legal. I've got a Panther Black Sport, has anyone with applied films similar? Too dark? Looks weird applying to all windows? I know some cars have just rear windows tinted dark. I'm really doing it for the heat but don't want the car to look silly.

totallysour is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Hazmatt69
Starter Motor

Default Re: Tinting for a Focus LW

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallysour View Post
Well, summer is around and I've decided to get my Ford Focus LW Sport 2012 tinted. I'm going to Nth Melb Tint-a-car (pretty good reviews on whirlpool and also fordforums). Just wondering if anyone has had tinting done on their LW's and would be able to give some feedback.

I'm thinking about going for Octane film - darkest legal. I've got a Panther Black Sport, has anyone with applied films similar? Too dark? Looks weird applying to all windows? I know some cars have just rear windows tinted dark. I'm really doing it for the heat but don't want the car to look silly.
Well for my 2 bob's worth, its certainly the go getting all windows done will cut heat for sure. Looks decidedly better when done. As for for the film I couldn't tell ya whats on mine, was part of the deal when we bought her (2011 LW diesel Sport) the only disappointment i had was with the finish on the inside of rear window, not a real nice trim job but OK from outside. We were told to go for legal because if you were in a accident ur insurance company may use ANY excuse not to pay up. Hope this helps
Hazmatt69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallysour View Post
Have the darkest legal tint on my Titanium, looks ace IMO. Definitely worth getting the darkest look, but it's a personal choice. Most tinting places are really helpful when it comes to selecting the tint for you, so my advice is to go in store, and have a look at their tint swatches. Good luck and congratulations on the Mondeo coming soon!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
richardnau
Focus LW MkII Titanium

I got Formula One on mine. It's a metallic film that is claimed to have very high heat rejection, but isn't vey dark.

I had a darker (legal) tint on my previous car (CX-7), and found it difficult to work with at night when side/rear vision was important: parallel parking, backing out of driveways, etc. The Formula One tint is much better in this regard.
richardnau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
totallysour
Starter Motor

Ended up going for Octane. Did some crude transmission calculations with an iPhone app before and after.

Before 80% transmission. After 36% transmission.

35% is darkest legal so seems fairly accurate

Not as dark as you may expect during the day but looks fantastic. Especially great at night/dusk.
totallysour is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post