Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #5461
PhilT2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Make it optional. If the vaccine works then you and your friends and family are safe, right? So you have no chance of becoming infected by someone that refused to take a vaccine because you opted for the vaccine. so you're all good.
It doesn't quite work like that. A small percentage who get the vaccine will not develop enough antibodies to be immune. So, unless you get tested you won't know for certain that you can't catch it. Plus all the immuno compromised, like anyone getting chemo for cancer, or too young to be vaccinated, will be vulnerable.
When whooping cough outbreaks started to take the lives of babies (vaccine doesn't work until one year old) in areas where there are lots of anti-vaxers and poor herd immunity, people started to refer to anti-vaxers as "baby killers"
The whole debate gets nasty at times.
https://www.qt.com.au/news/her-daugh...-Lz9WBSm2Oa748
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #5462
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
The basis of the stage 4 lockdown was largely attributed to the 'hundreds of people failing to isolate'. This is patently false, indeed completely contradicted by the Police who've only issued 42 fines since the lockdowns began in April.

This is a typical approach from a government which operates in a vacuum of accountability and zero care about the citizenry in general.
You're not serious? They locked down because they were getting several hundred new cases a day. If people were isolating sufficiently then those numbers wouldnt have happened.

Why are you using the numbers of fines as evidence instead of the numbers of infections? You know that being threatened with fines generally curbs behaviour?

Old 20-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #5463
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Make it optional. If the vaccine works then you and your friends and family are safe, right? So you have no chance of becoming infected by someone that refused to take a vaccine because you opted for the vaccine. so you're all good.

Drink driving should be optional too. You've got airbags right? You and your family should be safe, why would you care what others are doing on the road?

Old 20-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #5464
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Just saw on the news, "no jab, no pay". Start treading water, ****s got deep yo!
Old 20-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #5465
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Just saw on the news, "no jab, no pay". Start treading water, ****s got deep yo!
Scomo has been banging on for ages about this and frankly its fine, still gives people a choice.

Ill be in line, about happy for a few 1000 to go a couple of months before
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #5466
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Hopefully you're right. But is there any real point if say.. 50% of the Australian population decide to get the vaccine, and the other half don't? The 50% that don't will still cause restrictions and lockdowns to continue, as there will still be outbreaks and transmission.

When you have idiots saying things like 'if you get the vaccine then you and your friends and family are safe' and/or 'you have no chance of becoming infected by someone that refused to take a vaccine', then I guess we should expect the current situation to remain unchanged for a very prolonged time.

It should be made 100% mandatory. And the people that refuse, they should not be allowed to enter workplaces, shopping centres, etc, etc, etc. They should be isolated from the rest of the country until they do get vaccinated. The people who get vaccinated should not have to pay a price for the idiots who don't.
You are a idiot
Old 20-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #5467
PhilT2

Quote:
Isn't it "no jab no play"? Refers to kids not allowed in playgroups, preschool etc unless vaccinated?
Old 20-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #5468
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Isn't it "no jab no play"? Refers to kids not allowed in playgroups, preschool etc unless vaccinated?
Yes, but he seems happy to extend to those on benefits that dont vaccinate. Fine by me, good cost save.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #5469
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes; No access to govt subsidised childcare for kids without vaccination.

Nothing is compulsory and govt was bluffing or it was for baiting media.

Regards,
George V
Old 20-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #5470
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its a basic human right to not be forced to put something in your body you don't want. Im not an anti vaxer but like a lot of others question the development time of these covid vaccines and will be waiting a bit before i or my family choose to have one.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 20-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #5471
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The potential vaccine is good news of hope on the horizon, recent antibody studies overseas have shown the opposite to initial thoughts of short term immunity relating to the virus and good immune response to even asymptomatic cases.

https://youtu.be/D5Z6wdu1eI0

Dr J.Campbell goes into detail.

This news combined with developing early stage treatment options and hopefully a nice warm summer could see some big positive changes.

Hopefully Australia and in particular Victoria moves towards providing some antibody screening sooner rather than later so we can start to develop a better situation picture, I’ve mentioned before that if they had the blood donations screened it would be an excellent way of encouraging donation and collection of value able data at the same time.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #5472
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
You're not serious? They locked down because they were getting several hundred new cases a day. If people were isolating sufficiently then those numbers wouldnt have happened.

Why are you using the numbers of fines as evidence instead of the numbers of infections? You know that being threatened with fines generally curbs behaviour?
No. Re-read and re-watch Andrews press conferences. His justification was based on the number of people failing to quarantine/self isolate, likely to increase the possibility of community spread. What Andrews failed to address was the failure of the hotel quarantine debacle being the cause of the outbreak.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #5473
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Scomo was testing the water yesterday morning when saying there will be 25 million doses available for Australians, and only a few will be exempt from taking it, those with a medical exemption. He back peddled quick when questioned by Neil Mitchell of 3AW later in the day when asked if the vaccine would be mandatory. But the governments intent is to roll out the vaccine program the same way the no job no play and no jab no pay principle applies.

Let us see what happens when the government rolls out the 'no jab, no pay' type approach for this Covid vaccine. The principle will be the same as childcare rebate and preschool and kindly enrolment. Basically, anyone on any type of government payment (pension, unemployment benefit, family tax benefit A/B) must be vaccinated to receive their payment.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #5474
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
I think its a basic human right to not be forced to put something in your body you don't want. Im not an anti vaxer but like a lot of others question the development time of these covid vaccines and will be waiting a bit before i or my family choose to have one.
Welcome to the 'anti-vaxxer' world, where the government uses financial coercion to get you vaccinate. Anyone receiving any sort of government payment or subsidy better be ready to roll up their sleeve or lose your government subsidies. This includes and childcare subsidies, rebates, FTB A/B.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #5475
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Scomo was testing the water yesterday morning when saying there will be 25 million doses available for Australians, and only a few will be exempt from taking it, those with a medical exemption. He back peddled quick when questioned by Neil Mitchell of 3AW later in the day when asked if the vaccine would be mandatory. But the governments intent is to roll out the vaccine program the same way the no job no play and no jab no pay principle applies.

Let us see what happens when the government rolls out the 'no jab, no pay' type approach for this Covid vaccine. The principle will be the same as childcare rebate and preschool and kindly enrolment. Basically, anyone on any type of government payment (pension, unemployment benefit, family tax benefit A/B) must be vaccinated to receive their payment.
While it sounds a bit communist I am for it, had some evil thought of sterilizing some but probably too far.

I think jab/no jab will be a great conversation once we get anywhere near a vaccine. Right now its wasted energy.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #5476
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
No. Re-read and re-watch Andrews press conferences. His justification was based on the number of people failing to quarantine/self isolate, likely to increase the possibility of community spread. What Andrews failed to address was the failure of the hotel quarantine debacle being the cause of the outbreak.
Putting aside how the outbreak started.

There was/is a requirement for people who may be infected or confirmed to be infected to self isolate.... Simple to understand.

Instead people were going to get tested, then while waiting for the result they were going to work, going to the shops etc and worse still there were a significant number who still went out even after having a positive test.

The disparity between the number of people doing this and the number fined was because of "administrative" issues. The teams doing the people at home checks (ADF and Health workers) were finding people not at home... but the police didn't/couldn't follow up with a fine.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #5477
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
While it sounds a bit communist I am for it, had some evil thought of sterilizing some but probably too far.

I think jab/no jab will be a great conversation once we get anywhere near a vaccine. Right now its wasted energy.
I'm all for it too. People will understand the plight of the 'anti-vaxxers'. Financial coercion sorts out the men from the boys when it comes to these matters.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #5478
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Putting aside how the outbreak started.

There was/is a requirement for people who may be infected or confirmed to be infected to self isolate.... Simple to understand.

Instead people were going to get tested, then while waiting for the result they were going to work, going to the shops etc and worse still there were a significant number who still went out even after having a positive test.

The disparity between the number of people doing this and the number fined was because of "administrative" issues. The teams doing the people at home checks (ADF and Health workers) were finding people not at home... but the police didn't/couldn't follow up with a fine.
No, that's whats been reported and how the government wish to portray it, but it is not backed up by the stats. Subsequent follow ups by the Police have confirmed this which is why only 40 odd people have been fined.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #5479
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
No, that's whats been reported and how the government wish to portray it, but it is not backed up by the stats. Subsequent follow ups by the Police have confirmed this which is why only 40 odd people have been fined.
So the government is saying that but you have other information?
Old 20-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #5480
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't do needles so they will have to put it in a pill for me.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #5481
PhilT2

Imagine a situation where a person on the dole refuses to vaccinate and knocks back a job in an aged care centre that requires staff to vaccinate. You'll all be happy to keep paying tax so this person can stay on the dole and doesn't have to compromise his principles and get the shot (and the job)
Old 20-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #5482
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Imagine a situation where a person on the dole refuses to vaccinate and knocks back a job in an aged care centre that requires staff to vaccinate. You'll all be happy to keep paying tax so this person can stay on the dole and doesn't have to compromise his principles and get the shot (and the job)
This person wouldn't be eligible for the dole if they refused the Covid vaccine under the no jab no pay rule.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #5483
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
People will understand the plight of the 'anti-vaxxers'. Financial coercion sorts out the men from the boys when it comes to these matters.
'Plight', as commonly used, implies that the moron are entitled to some sympathy in much the same way as we should care about the plight of starving children in Africa.

By definition, the term means "a dangerous, difficult, or otherwise unfortunate situation" but I struggle with the concept that a situation that is avoidable and of ones own making based on some feeble logic or sense of 'rights' can properly fit the definition.

I've no issue with coercion or the application of sanctions against those who refuse to do something that (by the time it is available) will offer a measure of protection for not only them but for the entire community.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #5484
PhilT2

Quote:
This person wouldn't be eligible for the dole if they refused the Covid vaccine under the no jab no pay rule.
There isn't a "no jab no pay" rule. I think someone misheard someone saying "no jab no play" which is a real rule that does exist. If the "no jab no pay was even suggested by anyone in gov could you show me where? Not saying it didn't happen just want to get the facts straight.

But back to the question, do you want to keep supporting the anti-vax welfare recipient?
Old 20-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #5485
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There isn't a "no jab no pay" rule. I think someone misheard someone saying "no jab no play" which is a real rule that does exist. If the "no jab no pay was even suggested by anyone in gov could you show me where? Not saying it didn't happen just want to get the facts straight.

But back to the question, do you want to keep supporting the anti-vax welfare recipient?
Correct, there isnt a no jab, no pay rule, yet. Labor and Greens have already hinted they wouldn't support legislation if it was introduced, as well as PHONP. No, I wouldn't want to support an anti-vax welfare recipient, or anyone on welfare who can work but choses not to.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #5486
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, someone being on benefits for a limited period of time that’s actually seeking a employment shouldn’t be forced to relinquish their personal rights leveraged on being able to feed themselves or their family.

I’m about as far from a supporter of long term welfare recipients as you’ll find but that’s not something that should be leveraged.

People got upset about rights when the government wanted to have the Welfare card that restricted where and what money could be spent on, what your suggesting is a massive reach from there.
Old 20-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #5487
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I don't do needles so they will have to put it in a pill for me.
Wuss.
Old 20-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #5488
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s OK Martinka, it will be a suppository.

I’m still unsettled by this inference that “a cure” (my summary of the way people are thinking) is just around the corner.
6 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #5489
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Listening to Dr Nick Coatsworth this morning on Skynews you better prepare yourself. He's wanting a minimum of 70% uptake of this vaccine and is looking at the current legislation including changing NJNP and other instruments under a carrot and STICK (emphasis added) approach.
Old 20-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #5490
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Gawd NJNP, I think 2020 will be known as the year of acronyms!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Closed Thread