Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Ms_Jam

Default Fiesta WS Manual at 15,000 km

These are some comments on my experience with the 3-door manual Fiesta after 15,000 km.

I ordered the car with the following options: velour mats, illuminated gear shift, rubber mat in the back, and (dealer-installed) rear parking sensors. The pleasant surprise among these has been the rubber mat in the boot area. It was pricey, but if you do a lot of shopping, it's a blessing. It really stops things in the back moving around, and the lip at the edges means that any leakages are contained. I recommend it. The rear parking sensors are handy, but I would put them no higher than that. With my Fiesta I have had no squeaks, rattles or other annoyances.

Since that second tank I have run my Fiesta on BP Ultimate. And that, along with Castro Edge Sport 5w-30, which I had put in at 8,000 km, make a nice combination in my view. After the Castrol fully sythetic, the engine just hummed, and seemed less noisy.

To me at least the Fiesta has plenty of power, will accelerate up hills, and pass other vehicles on the open road with ease, with some reserve left. At speed, the car seems very firmly planted. Maybe the splitter and diffuser are more than decorations. I have had one experience of an emergency stop, and I was very pleasantly surprised how fast I could bring the car to a halt. The Continental tyres are very good. While most of my driving is in heavy Melbourne traffic, I find the seats very comfortable on long trips.

The cornering of this car is just superb. For some reason, the Fiesta seems to annoy certain other drivers. Lancers, Golfs, Holden utes and 4WDs like to sit right on my tail. But their humiliation comes at the roundabouts, where my little Fiesta effortlessly streaks ahead of them.

There are a couple of negatives. The problem with reverse gear is serious. I have had extensive experience driving manual Volvos and Saabs, which have much heavier gearboxes, but I never had a problem getting them into any gear. The air-conditioning is marginal. I survived summer only by putting it on recirculate at regular intervals.

But then, I figure, you don't get everything in a $24,000 car. Overall, this Fiesta is outstanding value, and I would buy it again. Without hesitation.

Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
JClarke
Deaf Driver

I like your review - very good and I have to agree at the most of point of a great car and yes, I own one too.
Old 22-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have an issue with my reverse, ever so often it'll reject the gear but that's a once a month issue. And I reverse at least three five times a day. My air con is also drastically better than it once was. It's an exceptional car, that's for sure!
Old 23-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Ms_Jam

Glad to hear it, Danny. I'm just reporting my own subjective experience.

Could be just me.

But there have been a few comments on this forum on this exact issue, as I recall. It's not a deal-breaker, for sure.

I have wondered if a better transmission oil might make a difference. I see that on their website Castrol recommend their Syntrans 75W/85 for the Fiesta WS. But I don't want to be the first to try it.
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
GEZZA ZETEC

My ws zetec 3 door has now done 1300km's and still has the squeeky alt belt (or i think its that) but no issues with reverse although saying that it does sometimes crunch slightly if i go in to reverse too quick...
GEZZA ZETEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post