Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
Kryton

Default Corvette ZO6 428ci - 505bhp

the lastest in Corvettes.
be sure to check out the multimedia video as well.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9991

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

0-60mph in 3.6secs, 1/4mile in 11.7. Damn thats awesome. Looks fantastic. A couple years ago there was a green Z06 coupe for sale in Canberra. If i had the money it would be as good as sold.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Awesome car. Ford would have all sorts of trouble if HSV got their hands on that motor!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Awesome car. Ford would have all sorts of trouble if HSV got their hands on that motor!
I was thinkn that aswell. I said that HSV should get that engine and stick it in the coupe but someone on here said that engine is for the ZO6 only.
Old 19-09-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I think if HSV got it they would use it to revive the GTS. They would probably make a coupe out of it aswell if the body shape is still around.

GM says that the 7 litre is for corvette Z06 only. I guess only time will tell. They things now, but what does the future hold?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
myxr6
Banned

They wouldn't build the 427 monaro , what makes you think they will build this ?
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxr6
They wouldn't build the 427 monaro , what makes you think they will build this ?
Actually I think there has been talks of trying to sell the 427 again. And there were 80 deposits taken for 427 when there was meant to be only 50 ever built I think.
Old 19-09-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

427 Monaro is a bit different, here Holden has an engine off the shelf that meets emissions, gets good economy, makes 505hp and would slot in any Commodore without a fuss.
Holden would well and truely have an M5 killer on its hands.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
SSbaby
Banned

The Z06's weight helps it achieve those phenomenal times, but the car's got balls just the same. :king:

On a related note, I'm not sure that HSV will use the LS7 for their GTS either, given that GM will have a blown LS2 available (much cheaper than the LS7)...

Quote:
The STS SAE 100 is powered by a supercharged LS2 engine yielding 505 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 520 lb.-ft. of torque at 3600 rpm. It is mated to GM HydraMatic's newly developed, longitudinal 6L90E six-speed transmission, capable of supporting more powerful engines like the supercharged LS2. The transmission features Driver Shift Control, which gives the driver the ability to shift gears sequentially with a tap up/ tap down mechanism.
Click here.

Last edited by SSbaby; 19-09-2005 at 06:55 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

One of my all time favourite vehicle's is the Vette, especially the zo6, if I were to ever get a GM vehicle this would be it, it's sleak, fast and what a real muscle car should look like, oh and it perform's like one to.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:30 AM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

There's no reason why HSV could not get the GenIV LS7 for the next $100,000 GTS...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...99&prmenbr=361

You can buy them brand new in a crate for a bargain at $12,999.99 USD. Now, the last GTS300 had a special US crate motor, the Callaway C4B LS1, to hit the magic 300kW (402 horsepower). So, stands to reason that if they make a new GTS, to fulfill their desire of being a real alternative to the M5 and E55 AMG, then importing a US crate motor to hit the magic 500hp (373kW) mark.

Now, the VZ Clubsport R8 retails for $71,140. $12,999.99 US is $17,022.89 AU. $71,140.00 + $17,022.89 = $88,162.89. So if they made a GTS with the LS7, it would retail around the $98,000 - $100,000 mark.

What would Ford do if HSV got their hands on 505hp and 485ftlbs of 427 cube Small-Block Chev? A few options...

1. Not compete. They were quite content over the years to leave GTS alone, and only target Clubsport.

2. Try to slap a blower on the Boss290.. to give it the urge to be competitive.

3. Get the new Shelby Cobra GT500's engine from SVT... 5.4, Supercharged, 450hp 450ftlbs (336kW 610Nm).

Though I doubt HSV's will be getting LS7's any time soon, and same token for Supercharged 5.4 FPV's. Don't they have that "300kW Gentleman's Agreement" ?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
SSbaby
Banned

Steffo,

$13K USD is roughly $25-30K AUS here once import duty and conversions are factored in.

I doubt HSV will go down the similar path as the Callaway C4B (rumoured $20K AUD) again.

I am now beginning to understand what John Crennan was hinting when he made the comment 'embarassment of riches' in regards to future product.

Perhaps, the HSV/PWR kit is also a pointer. I don't know for sure, I can only speculate.
Old 20-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
There's no reason why HSV could not get the GenIV LS7 for the next $100,000 GTS...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...99&prmenbr=361

You can buy them brand new in a crate for a bargain at $12,999.99 USD. Now, the last GTS300 had a special US crate motor, the Callaway C4B LS1, to hit the magic 300kW (402 horsepower). So, stands to reason that if they make a new GTS, to fulfill their desire of being a real alternative to the M5 and E55 AMG, then importing a US crate motor to hit the magic 500hp (373kW) mark.

Now, the VZ Clubsport R8 retails for $71,140. $12,999.99 US is $17,022.89 AU. $71,140.00 + $17,022.89 = $88,162.89. So if they made a GTS with the LS7, it would retail around the $98,000 - $100,000 mark.

What would Ford do if HSV got their hands on 505hp and 485ftlbs of 427 cube Small-Block Chev? A few options...

1. Not compete. They were quite content over the years to leave GTS alone, and only target Clubsport.

2. Try to slap a blower on the Boss290.. to give it the urge to be competitive.

3. Get the new Shelby Cobra GT500's engine from SVT... 5.4, Supercharged, 450hp 450ftlbs (336kW 610Nm).

Though I doubt HSV's will be getting LS7's any time soon, and same token for Supercharged 5.4 FPV's. Don't they have that "300kW Gentleman's Agreement" ?
Its always that easy to you isn't it. First you have packaging issues to make it all fit, a quieter exhaust to suit Australian EPA requirements, which will also require emissions tests to certify it is up to Euro 4 specs, cooling requirements in hot and cold climates, then you need to do driveline durability testing and evaluation, production requirements need to be monitered plus any number of other things that need to be done to even get the car on sale. Get your head out of the magazines and into the real world.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 01:21 AM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would already meet emissions here and in Europe, since its sold in California, which has the toughest smog laws in the World.
Why would it need 'fitting'? Its the same external size as an LS2.
Durability has already been done (on the engine and transmission)

Fortuanatly for Holden most of the hard work has been done for them, granted they'll obviously still need to do testing, but it isnt anywhere near as much as if they were using a brand new engine.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 07:38 AM   #15
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Nice looking Corvette. Still very easy on the eye. it's got some get up & go in the motor.
Old 21-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #16
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Not too bad, actually looks capable as a daily driver. Can't wait for Lingenfelter to fiddle with this one (Lingenfelter got 700+hp from the previous 'Vette with twin-turbos)

Would prefer a Saleen Mustang :P
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Nice car....can only keep dreamin of something like this

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its always that easy to you isn't it. First you have packaging issues to make it all fit, a quieter exhaust to suit Australian EPA requirements, which will also require emissions tests to certify it is up to Euro 4 specs, cooling requirements in hot and cold climates, then you need to do driveline durability testing and evaluation, production requirements need to be monitered plus any number of other things that need to be done to even get the car on sale. Get your head out of the magazines and into the real world.
Ok, first of all, quieter exhaust? All US factory vehicles have quieter exhausts then Australian one. A VX SS is louder then a LS6 powered Corvette Z06. The GenIV LS7 powered Z06 qualifies as a world wide LEV (Low Emissions Vehicles) so it will pass emissions no problems. If an engine/vehicle passes US emissions regulations, it will be quite legal here, as their emissions regulations regarding factory stock vehicles are tougher then Australia's. Driveline durability testing - already done, ala Z06. HSV/Holden tend to borrow all their parts from Chevrolet concerning engine & drivetrain anyway (they share transmissions, for example).

I realise it is more complicated then just sticking an engine in and selling a car, but did I ever say it wasn't?? All I said was, it is quite possible for them to use the LS7 and sell it in a car here, dollars wise. Its not that expensive an engine, and it is easily available to them. :

:
Old 21-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #19
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two words why this engine wont end up in the commodore... "SuperCar Scare"
Scruby etc would have a fit if an Australian manufacturer releases a 500HP Car.
Old 21-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #20
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Its not that expensive an engine, and it is easily available to them. :
The LS7 is hand made. $30K+ AUD for an engine is quite expensive. Don't forget what the yanks pay for their items and what we pay differs by a factor of 3-4. I'm probably being conservative quoting $30K AUD, too!
Old 21-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #21
SkylineKing

Abotu time..

I've been saying Corvette make the best car in the world bar none for the past 15 years or so... now I have proof.

(yeah yeah yeah Bugatti have a 405km/h verion but it's worth 3GAZILLION dollars - and Porsche have compariably quick cars, but for the price of a Vette you cant beat 'em)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #22
SkylineKing

As far as the debate about wether or not the LS7 could make it to Australia put it this way:

Back when the C5 Corvette was being realied (around 1997) Holden were VERY seriously considering re-badging and bringing the Vette out as a Holden model. Rumors in Wheels mag, etc at the time stated that the project was so serious Holden had already designed the badges to go on the "Holvette".

If you ask me it would be blasphemy to put a Holden badge on a Corvette but so long as they came from the factory RHD I'd buy one in a heart beat.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #23
Kryton

actually i remember something about holden having a new project car that is like the corvette. this engine may just be used in it.
Old 21-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
It would already meet emissions here and in Europe, since its sold in California, which has the toughest smog laws in the World.
Why would it need 'fitting'? Its the same external size as an LS2.
Durability has already been done (on the engine and transmission)

Fortuanatly for Holden most of the hard work has been done for them, granted they'll obviously still need to do testing, but it isnt anywhere near as much as if they were using a brand new engine.
If the exhaust, airbox etc is changed then it needs to be re tested to pass emissions laws. They don't just pass it because it is available in another car overseas, it needs to be tested in its host vehicle before it can be approved for sale. I was not implying that it wouldn't pass, it should easily, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be tested.
As for fitting, the location of airbox etc. would be different. Durability would need to be done on diff, clutch setup etc as they would be different from the Vette due to there different body designs.
Old 21-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ok, first of all, quieter exhaust? All US factory vehicles have quieter exhausts then Australian one. A VX SS is louder then a LS6 powered Corvette Z06. The GenIV LS7 powered Z06 qualifies as a world wide LEV (Low Emissions Vehicles) so it will pass emissions no problems. If an engine/vehicle passes US emissions regulations, it will be quite legal here, as their emissions regulations regarding factory stock vehicles are tougher then Australia's. Driveline durability testing - already done, ala Z06. HSV/Holden tend to borrow all their parts from Chevrolet concerning engine & drivetrain anyway (they share transmissions, for example).

I realise it is more complicated then just sticking an engine in and selling a car, but did I ever say it wasn't?? All I said was, it is quite possible for them to use the LS7 and sell it in a car here, dollars wise. Its not that expensive an engine, and it is easily available to them. :
You really have no clue do you. Australian noise regulation are way tougher than they are in the US, by around 3 decibels.
Old 21-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #26
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not a bad machine at all,saw it on fox the other week where they had a head to head with the new viper,the corvette held with the viper around twisties but not in a straight line though : which goes to show how quick the viper is.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #27
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
not a bad machine at all,saw it on fox the other week where they had a head to head with the new viper,the corvette held with the viper around twisties but not in a straight line though : which goes to show how quick the viper is.
That would not have been the Z06 with LS7... I'm sure you saw the LS6 C5.

The Z06 with LS7 would swallow, chew up and spit out a Viper. Nothing but a twin-turbo Porsche would touch it... as far as mass produced production cars are concerned.
Old 21-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #28
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
That would not have been the Z06 with LS7... I'm sure you saw the LS6 C5.

The Z06 with LS7 would swallow, chew up and spit out a Viper. Nothing but a twin-turbo Porsche would touch it... as far as mass produced production cars are concerned.
nah man im sure it was the ls7,sounded like ,it looked like it and went like it.
going around the track they were both power sliding around the corners.

Im not sure though that the ls7 would chew and spit out a 8.3 litre 383kw v10 though

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #29
Kryton

Quote:
Im not sure though that the ls7 would chew and spit out a 8.3 litre 383kw v10 though
and thats without the Twin Turbo Kit :
Old 22-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #30
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
nah man im sure it was the ls7,sounded like ,it looked like it and went like it.
going around the track they were both power sliding around the corners.

2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

8277cc V10

500hp (373kW) @ 5600rpm
525ftlbs (711Nm) @ 4600rpm
6000rpm redline

0-60mph (0-100km/h): 3.9 sec
0-100mph (0-160km/h): 8.3 sec
1/4 Mile: 11.77 sec @ 123.6mph (197.76km/h)
Top Speed: 190mph (304km/h)

http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/dodgevipersrt10.html

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

7000cc V8

505hp (377kW) @ 6300rpm
470ftlbs (637Nm) @ 4800rpm
7000rpm redline

0-60mph (0-100km/h): 3.7 sec
0-100mph (0-160km/h): 7.9 sec
1/4 Mile: 11.5 sec @ 127mph (203.2km/h)
Top Speed: 198mph (317km/h)

http://www.fast-autos.net/chevrolet/chevroletc6z06.html

You sure it won't beat the Viper?

: