Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Matt_971
Regular Bum

Default for sale forum

Hey guys.

Just a suggestion with the for sale forums rolling over so quick these days is it viable to split it into more sections.

Other forums i have seen like unrealated car parts. (other than ford).
Related car parts (ford bits)

General Items (not car parts)

Etc etc

Just that forum is packed with for sale threads and i have one that when i posted it i looked back and it was half way down the first page already.

feedback??

Matt_971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Kryton

if people put either SOLD in their thread when an item is sold, or PM'd a Mod to let them know so their thread could be removed, there would be a lot less items listed.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Is there a better way to present them?????

Maybe a state by state segregation or somthing.
I updated mine a little today, and I had to page through 11 other pages of stuff to even find it.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Matt_971
Regular Bum

very true.

is it worth while having a seperate forum for misc non car bits with a expiry on all adds maybe. would free up the related car for sale part.

just when i look through it i maybe look at a few pages then get bored lol. So move on. your add could be on the second page before anyone even views it easily.

cheers
Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Kryton

in this day and age with easy postage and payments i dont think a state by state section would help anyone sell items.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Matt_971
Regular Bum

yeah specially on smaller items.

I think maybe split them up a bit more.
Ford parts only.
Non ford parts.
Misc Items.

Would atleast seperate the guy selling his computer to some selling a nice xr6t motor etc.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

This topic comes up about once a month and while there are some good ideas it generally comes back to the same issues.

Seperate forums/more seperation etc isnt going to happen, and here is why.

1 - in EVERY thread the location is in the title. Hence why we dont need seperate forums for states etc.

2 - Other non car related items for sale forum already exists - now in my opinion its fairly simple to determine whether a part is for a car or not.

3 - Non Ford car parts come up rarely in the Sales Yard (as you would expect). In my opinion it would be a waste of another forum to have one for non Ford parts. And besides, who looks for non ford parts on a ford website?

As Davway has mentioned sellers should be PM'ing mods or at the very least putting "SOLD" in their threads so we know what we can remove etc. A lot dont do this which is why we get threads coming back up that are out of date etc and the item is no longer for sale.

We have changed rules and layouts in that part of the site more times than I can remember and until the rules in place are followed (and followed by everybody), it doesnt matter what format it goes under, we will continue to have problems. Once the rules are followed I think everybody will find the Sales Yard an easy place to navigate and buy and sell items.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_971
yeah specially on smaller items.

I think maybe split them up a bit more.
Ford parts only.
Non ford parts.
Misc Items.

Would atleast seperate the guy selling his computer to some selling a nice xr6t motor etc.
there already is.
theres Cars for sale
Car parts for sale
and Non car related items
plus the 2 wanted sections.

if you start splitting things up too much, even less gets sold.
a lot of the sales here arent from looking for a specific item, its from looking through ads and then finding something you werent looking for but needed.

i can see what you are both suggesting but segregating parts, makes or states is doing just that - segregating.
you will end up with more for sale threads, your item will just slip down quicker and no one is going to be any better off.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
Matt_971
Regular Bum

mmm far enough.

i can understand where ya coming from. knew there had to be a good reason.

well can delete this thread if ya like. stop cloggin this forum up lol.

cheers
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Donny

I cant speak for any area bar the cars for sale area which is the only one I look thru.
Of the hundreds of cars there now, how many of those are still active and how many are sold?
I would say most were still active.
This was where I was directing my opinion of state segregation towards, not all the others.
I can see that would add a lot of subforums and work, but there must be some viable alternatives to how it is now.

As I said, I had to flip through 11 pages to find my ad. How many out there would be patient enough to do that. If I was looking through it for somthing to buy, it would not be me thats for sure. I only did because I wanted to update mine.

There must be a better way to do it that dosent involve copius amounts of xtra work.....

Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
I cant speak for any area bar the cars for sale area which is the only one I look thru.
Of the hundreds of cars there now, how many of those are still active and how many are sold?
I would say most were still active.
This was where I was directing my opinion of state segregation towards, not all the others.
I can see that would add a lot of subforums and work, but there must be some viable alternatives to how it is now.

As I said, I had to flip through 11 pages to find my ad. How many out there would be patient enough to do that. If I was looking through it for somthing to buy, it would not be me thats for sure. I only did because I wanted to update mine.

There must be a better way to do it that dosent involve copius amounts of xtra work.....
Difficult to say about how many are active/still available because as I mentioned above - we get no notification for 95% of them.

I find it easy to use the search function but that does rely on the seller putting the correct info in the thread title to make it easier to find.

I wonder if we can look at maybe organising a search function that goes by price or year model of car.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #12
Donny

Year model could work. Maybe have a menu that comes on when you enter the cars for sale part and you input the year or a range of years.
Or another idea is segregate the cars into eras, eg...xa to xc, ba to bf and so on.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
Kryton

i can see the benefit of a state divide car section.
i mean, im not going to look at buying a car in QLD if i am in Vic and i would think 99% of the forum arent interested in paying $1000+ to transport a car across the country.
i know there are exceptions but those that are looking for a specific car will find it either way.
but as mentioned though, what state the car is in is mentioned in the title.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #14
Donny

Mmmm, looking at it that way, if I was looking for a specific car, I personally would not let its location get in my way. I will go anywhere for the right car.

What about the idea of the era segregation.
1960 to 1978, 1979 to 1998 1998 to 2008
Just a thought......