Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Default Another parts supplier goes bust

Trident the company that manufacture the Rgor (major component for the front end of FG) for ford has apparently gone bust and are no longer manufacturing anymore. Parts are due to run out at about midday. At the moment Ford are using stock allocated to spare parts. Dont know if they have anyone else lined up to manufacture it. Could be interesting times ahead.

WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Will probably end up getting made off shore damn it !

Hope for the workers sakes it gets sorted and they all keep their jobs.

Does anyone know how many components of OUR AUSSIE made FORD FALCON are made off shore ???????

Cheers

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trident plastics? Terrible news if its true, ive got friends there. They manufacture the bumpers for FPV too.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

no wonder it takes forever to get an fpv bumperbar
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
Does anyone know how many components of OUR AUSSIE made FORD FALCON are made off shore ???????

Cheers
Somewhere between 25-35% depending on trim, transmission etc.

VE sources around 45% of components offshore now.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

One word

......................... TARRIFS

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there a link to this info?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One word

......................... TARRIFS
What and penalise my buying rights just because the locals don't offer the car I want because they were living with their heads in the sand?

No thanks.

And lets not forget the in-kind response that we might get from our trading partners if we do increase tariffs, eg we are country A, we place a tariff on imports from X country, X country responds by placing tariffs on our exports to X country, meaning its cheaper for X country to buy the goods/stock/commodities from Y country.

Last edited by Dave_au; 03-06-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:

Cheers
Well the six cylinders obviously have more local content than the V8s and I would say base model is most Australian as the bottom rung tranny is also made here I believe.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Is there a news source for this information??
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
What and penalise my buying rights just because the locals don't offer the car I want because they were living with their heads in the sand?

No thanks.

And lets not forget the in-kind response that we might get from our trading partners if we do increase tariffs, eg we are country A, we place a tariff on imports from X country, X country responds by placing tariffs on our exports to X country, meaning its cheaper for X country to buy the goods/stock/commodities from Y country.
Exactly, the moment you start imposing higher tarrifs the more expensive everything becomes.

Might as well turn australia into a closed economy
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Is there a link to this info?
Na dont have a link. I was told the info by a manager at Ford but have seen production use the stock that is allocated for spare parts. They are actually grinding off the e-coat from the Rgor before it gets welded on to the car. I'll try get some more info and pass it on.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Not Bust but Pilkington is finally shutting down its Geelong Operation.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575CA00170322

Quote:
Toyota’s glass supply shattered

Former Pilkington auto glass operation in Geelong to close

By IAN PORTER 3 June 2009

TOYOTA will have to find a new source for windscreens and other auto glass after CSR made a final decision to close its North Geelong automotive laminating operation with the loss of 70 jobs.

It means an end to local production of automotive glass after decades of operation under the Pilkington name – CSR Viridian since 2007 – and makes car windows the latest car part manufacturing process to move offshore.

CSR has twice extended the intended closing date from the original June deadline to September, and now to December, in a bid to give adequate preparation time for both the employees at the plant and to Toyota.

Toyota will now have to join GM Holden and Ford in sourcing its automotive glass from offshore suppliers.

“We have done everything we possibly could to work with both Toyota and other stakeholders, but unfortunately no offer has materialised which is consistent with the value of the land, plant and equipment,” CSR spokesman Martin Cole told the Geelong Advertiser.

Unlike many earlier instances when component manufacturers had stopped operating, the 70 affected workers will receive their full entitlements under CSR’s human resources policies.

"We're disappointed, despite doing everything we possibly could to accommodate a possible sale we're left with no alternative now but to pursue the original plan, which is an exit of the business.

"It's around 70 jobs in total, the majority will regrettably go from October 1 in Geelong and I'd like to stress the point that CSR will continue to ensure we provide support to those employees and will obviously ensure they receive full entitlements in line with human resources policies."

Pilkington opened the Geelong plant in 1937 to support the emerging Australian car industry and, in particular, Ford, which was making cars in Geelong. The Broadmeadows assembly plant was not established until 1960.

Staff peaked at 900 in the 1980s before the Button Plan tariff reductions forced the adoption of more automation.

In 2000 Pilkington installed a state-of-the-art laminating machines but continuing tariff reductions recommended by the Productivity Commission and locked in by the Howard government finally meant local glass production was no longer possible. Another piece of Australia’s manufacturing base has now been lost.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
They are actually grinding off the e-coat from the Rgor before it gets welded on to the car.
I thought the RGOR was bolted on
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
MAV50L
Banned

What is the RGOR?
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
Wally
XP Coupe

Reinforced Grille Opening Reinforcement
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Rgor is the main front end structure which holds the radiator and headlights. It is bolted on from underneath but also spot welded at either side to the engine box apron.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
What is the RGOR?
it's basically a mounting bracket made of hydroformed plastic that ties together several front end components. It has enabled a more efficient production process and enabled the styling guys to achieve a more tapered/round nose etc.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
MAV50L
Banned

Cool thanks for that. I dont know as Im not really into new Fords so dont keep up on all the info for them.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:

No thanks.

Would o/k if they all played on level playing fields??
But they DON'T!! Tried exporting to Japan ??
If you think these other countries don't have tariffs ??
Your mistaken !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting

My new FG xr8 ute is meant to be being built this week, wonder if this is going to affect me getting it on time? anyone know?

Scotty

All 20th Ann extras

: |||Mods To Date - Lowered all Round on Walkinshaw Springs. More to come . Tuned by ?????- Power - . ||| :

|Hers| 2009 LV XR5 Turbo in Silhouette
AzuR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #22
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Would o/k if they all played on level playing fields??
But they DON'T!! Tried exporting to Japan ??
If you think these other countries don't have tariffs ??
Your mistaken !!
We export coal and iron ore to Japan all the time.

Re Exporting to Japan - none of our cars would be suitable for their insular automotive preferences anyway.

Of course other countries have tariffs but I think the last thing we all need is more pandering in our day to day lives by Government; tariffs are just another form of taxation; I'm sure everyone would be whinging on here if the govt raised GST to 15 or 20% to support local industry, why then should they raise tariffs 5 or 10% on car imports. It's our locals own faults for the predicament that their now in.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
At the moment Ford are using stock allocated to spare parts.
So dont have a front-ender in your FG. If you do, you wont be getting it back on the road for sometime.

Hope they get it sorted out quickly, surely Ford will do something being such a key part of the car.

Personally I think some of the Asian cars and parts should have higher tariffs as Australian industry just cannot compete with the cheap labour in those countries.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

For all the protectionist v free trade people. This is what the ACTU are proposing.

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/lateline...42_1769487.wmv

or transcript
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/busin...6/s2587635.htm

ebxr8240 - can you show me Japans tariffs as I've shown on here before that Japan has no tariffs on their imports.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #25
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Personally I think some of the Asian cars should have higher tarrifs as Australian industry just cannot compete with the cheap labour in those countries.
It's got nothing to do with cheap labour and everything to do with economies of scale.

Korean line worker wages are similiar to Australian line worker wages, around $70,000 per year. Where they have the advantage is that they are producing over half a million cars a year giving favourable production line variances and scale.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with cheap labour and everything to do with economies of scale.

Korean line worker wages are similiar to Australian line worker wages, around $70,000 per year. Where they have the advantage is that they are producing over half a million cars a year giving favourable production line variances and scale.

Its the extra costs in employing someone in Australia (directly) that Korea don't have. But otherwise payments wise is the same with an Aussie worker.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have no trouble with more cost on imports if it supports australian jobs and manufacturing....those that don`t wanna support australian industry can pay a little extra, NO SOOKING NOW, if more aussie cars were sold instead of imports trident would`nt be going under with many other auto jobs.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i have no trouble with more cost on imports if it supports australian jobs and manufacturing....those that don`t wanna support australian industry can pay a little extra, NO SOOKING NOW, if more aussie cars were sold instead of imports trident would`nt be going under with many other auto jobs.
Agreed 100%...

It's ok, once all of us involved in manufacturing something in this country lose our jobs, then then we won't be able to afford to buy the cheap imported crap anyway......

I try to buy Australian whenever I can, the only times I can't is usually because what I want isn't made here any more.
There is the odd example where the Australian equivalent is rubbish, or way too overpriced, but it's not that often.

How do we fix it? I dunno, but I like to think I try to help the bloke down the road keep his job by buying Australian made when I can.

Ed
Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #29
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's ironic that your all preaching to buy Australian meanwhile Ford, Holden and Toyota start to pick up more and more overseas suppl
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #30
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Well the six cylinders obviously have more local content than the V8s and I would say base model is most Australian as the bottom rung tranny is also made here I believe.
Base model petrol uses 5 speed auto, it's made in France, base model LPG uses aussie made 4spd auto.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post