Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
2002au
Define definitive

Default Preparing au for track day

Putting my au xr6 in a it of a track day (not like offical racing lol) in two weeks.

I've changed the head gasket about 1000kms ago and is running mint. a day of a bit of flogging shouldn't hurt it? (It's got fresh coolant and engine oil etc)

What things should I do to prepare the car for it?

I'm thinking change the brake pads to something a bit better like qfm.

Cheers
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Preparing au for track day

What to take to the track seems to have more to do with the space you have in the car and the length and/or cost of the event than what you might need.
For private practice days with about 1-1.5 hours of driving I tend to also take a minimal set of tools. Spanners, sockets, hammers, electrical testing, screwdrivers, pliers, crimping tools, hacksaw, knives, tyre pressure gauge, tyre pump, broom, fuel funnel, jack and 4 chassis stands, timing light
I have a box of consumables (oils (gearbox, engine, diff), water, oil filter, fuel filter, grease, head gasket, manifold gaskets, grease, steel wool loctite, spare bolts, nuts screws, lightglobes, crimps, wheel nuts and studs) for those 1 hour long jobs that may need to be done.
If I'm going away on a 'fly away' weekend. ie not returning home I'll take a spare gearbox and diff, starter motor and alternator. and a few more specific tools to perform longer tasks overnight.
I also take 2 spare wheels with tyres however a complete set of wets if permitted and a spare dry or two would be good for a 'flyaway'.
I take rags, spare clothes, race suit, boots, gloves, and a helmet. My wallet and a lot of cash.

Bearing in mind mine is a old car trailer queen race car!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Ride
Stay Classy ™

The most stress is going to be on brake pads, fluid and rotors. Make sure the pads are suitable for street/track use, rotors are slotted or similar, and use high quality (FRESH) brake fluid (Super Dot 4 at minimum). Seen too many cars at track days boiling brakes by not putting a bit of effort into preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
What to take to the track seems to have more to do with the space you have in the car and the length and/or cost of the event than what you might need.
For private practice days with about 1-1.5 hours of driving I tend to also take a minimal set of tools. Spanners, sockets, hammers, electrical testing, screwdrivers, pliers, crimping tools, hacksaw, knives, tyre pressure gauge, tyre pump, broom, fuel funnel, jack and 4 chassis stands, timing light
I have a box of consumables (oils (gearbox, engine, diff), water, oil filter, fuel filter, grease, head gasket, manifold gaskets, grease, steel wool loctite, spare bolts, nuts screws, lightglobes, crimps, wheel nuts and studs) for those 1 hour long jobs that may need to be done.
If I'm going away on a 'fly away' weekend. ie not returning home I'll take a spare gearbox and diff, starter motor and alternator. and a few more specific tools to perform longer tasks overnight.
I also take 2 spare wheels with tyres however a complete set of wets if permitted and a spare dry or two would be good for a 'flyaway'.
I take rags, spare clothes, race suit, boots, gloves, and a helmet. My wallet and a lot of cash.

Bearing in mind mine is a old car trailer queen race car!

JP
Most of us (inc. the OP) are not running dedicated track cars, punishing them for hours at a time or squeezing every last bit out of their somewhat modified street cars. Definite overkill.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
AAXR8

Wink Re: Preparing au for track day

With your Brake Pads! There's a pad that I only use now which the company's called Racing Brakes Australia and they make there on Pad in Melbourne that is an excellent pad for racing! Its not the Sydney company! They don't sell that certain pad! It warms really quick and really good feeling pad that LASTS and is Low Brake Dust also! But there a great company that if you can't pick them up they will Express the Pads to you and there a good price!
Just if your after a good pad, And just my opinion.
Have fun mate
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seeing as you did a head recently, before the outing i would do a double check on cooling system all radiator hoses still tight, nothing been over looked, left loose or flopping around that may get burned on the exhaust, just a quick once over .....no sneaky leaks that have popped up ..... just for peace of mind.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
Most of us (inc. the OP) are not running dedicated track cars, punishing them for hours at a time or squeezing every last bit out of their somewhat modified street cars. Definite overkill.
Yep and that list is what Id be taking!. track day cost 500-1000 bucks transport there and back, fuel, tyres, ware and tare, hate to be sitting out because of a silly little part of item you didn't bring, even worse if you don't trailer it and get picked up on the way home with bald tyres, broken headlight or cant get home because the exhaust hanger broke, a bolt came loose and the bumper is dragging.
Spanner check before you leave home...every suspension, brake and driveline nut and bolt.
You may want to rotate wheels for more even ware...Ive destroyed tyres in a day of track time in the road car! or adjust camber settings or similar.
whats the point of going if you don't try...sure ahead gasket might be a bit to far but I can do one on mine in an hour or just under if necessary.
spare fluids are a must including spare fuel if you run special stuff or cant get it ther and more importantly Id never run a full tank for a 15 minute or less session...too much weight...anyway horses for courses
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #7
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one ever died by by doing too much preparation. I can only reinforce some of the comments about brakes. Change the fluid before you go, and ensure you have plenty of pad left. I've seen too many cars at track days run out of brakes.

Tighten every bolt. Pump up the tyres to more than they should be.

Remove every thing from the cabin - every coin, piece of paper from every little place. Nothing more disconcerting when cornering hard, a piece of loose paper drifts across your field of view.

The next thing is to get yourself prepared. Pee before you get in. Tighten belts. Accept that you will be slow at the start, and the car will brake and corner far better than you will think. You will also turn into corners far earlier than you need to. Try and turn in a lot later. Be smooth.

Keep an eye on engine temp.

Have fun.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point about the removing stuff from the cabin, i tipped a truck over years ago , it is amazing the things you suddenly find floating around the cab if you tip it over..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
2002au
Define definitive

Cheers guys, yeah ordering new pads and brake fluid is fresh. Also recently did an oil change (nulon 10w40 full syn)

Getting my local exhaust bloke to put flanges on my muffler and making up a bolt in straight pipe ;) should be a bit of fun haha
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
Brendo71
Starter Motor

TIRE PRESSURES!!! Make sure u take an accurate air gauge with you. Being able to adjust your pressures to suit the changing day temp and more importantly track temp is a must. Don't be afraid to trial different pressures, it's amazing how much it can make a car feel under track conditions!
Brendo71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post