Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
mickbag
innocent bystander

Default Differences between AU models?

I'm a newby - my first post here altho lurking for a week or so...

We recently bought an AU3 Fairmont at our place. We're very happy with it (so far)... certainly good value for money. My wife is keen to know (as would I) how you can tell the difference between the different AU models? Are there any obvious external differences between, say a 98AU, a series 2 and a series 3?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and input...

mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Series 1 Forte/Futura had the "Low Bonnet" whereas their S2/3 counterparts had the "High Bonnet".

Also, The tail lights on the above mentioned cars, S1 seem to have orange indicators whereas 2/3 have clear with orange bulbs.

Also, the interior was slightly different where you control the fans, aircon etc.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, the other guys are brilliant and will be able to rattle them all off I'm sure!!!

And before I sign out, welcome to the forums
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
falzoony
Rockin '67

The first is a series 1 and the second is a series 2. both fortes

if you go on aufalcon.com and just have alook around you'l see the differences between the models. the main(and I think only) difference between the series 2 and 3 forte is the clear side indicators, the side skirts and the 'series 3' badge.
also the s1 forte has 15" rims and the 2/3 have 16.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
mickbag
innocent bystander

Thanks guys... for the welcome (Riksta) and the info. falzoony, I hadn't known about aufalcon.com... heading off there now.
mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

AU2 onwards got bigger (and better) brakes hence the bigger wheels

Hubcaps, bonnets and tail lights were different

AU1 had a very round console area with a standard cassette radio, usually grey colour, whilst AU2 on had a few straight lines in the dash and a CD/radio/sometimes cassette as standard normally a black or much darker grey colour

AU3 got side skirts as well from memory
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post