Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Default after some advice on lowering my auii wagon

hi guys,
im thinking of lowering my wagon from standard ride hight. just wondering how much i should lower it so i remove the 4wd stance they have from factory to a better hight that has street appeal and practicality (ie will still ride over speed bumps without bottoming out) ill be putting a set of 18 x 8's all round with an xr style wagon bodykit from awc. also would you advise i get the cambers reset, change shocks to suit etc etc?
any advice would be appreciated
col

au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
hi guys,
im thinking of lowering my wagon from standard ride hight. just wondering how much i should lower it so i remove the 4wd stance they have from factory to a better hight that has street appeal and practicality (ie will still ride over speed bumps without bottoming out) ill be putting a set of 18 x 8's all round with an xr style wagon bodykit from awc. also would you advise i get the cambers reset, change shocks to suit etc etc?
any advice would be appreciated
col
I would only go XR height, but that's me, others will tell you to dump it way, way low! LOL!

JC has lowered many a car, wagon and sedan, and he currently has both, so his advice would be good to get.

Chief has lowered his wagon too I think!

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

front springs are a easy DIY if your got the rite tools super lows would probabley do it .some need a caster kit some dont, its the luck of the draw ..rear wagon springs have to replaced or reset by the suspention shop .. type in "lowerd susspension" in the seach this thread box that should get all the info you will need .
whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
front springs are a easy DIY if your got the rite tools super lows would probabley do it .some need a caster kit some dont, its the luck of the draw ..rear wagon springs have to replaced or reset by the suspention shop .. type in "lowerd susspension" in the seach this thread box that should get all the info you will need .
whoosha
au2sw, Whoosha is typing way too fast. LOL!

Type in "lowered suspension"

Whoosha's had too much coffee tonight! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
au2sw, Whoosha is typing way too fast. LOL!

Type in "lowered suspension"

Whoosha's had too much coffee tonight! LOL!

GK
:Reverend:
Mutant talk so you young uns could understand :Reverend:

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Yep , mutnt tlk iz goood sos gerihatrics not nd 2 understnd , secrt cde ,

thx ,

Dan

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
whoosha
On the front of the wagon I have effectively got Lows (XR8 ute springs minus 1/2 coil, so now 10.5 turns instead of 11. Standard spring has 9 turns. They lowered the front by 28mm, IIRC).I have had SLs and they were fine too, but they are now on the XR8.

For the rear, I have had reset leaves (went 50mm - way too much, but 40 should be fine), stage 1 pedders springs (equivalent to SL height), but I am currently running Whiteline 38mm (1.5") lowering blocks with standard rear springs. As long as you have a minimum of 17" x 8" wide (any wider or if the diameter is less than 17", the rims will foul on the bottom shock mount), then the lowering blocks will fit, and they are pretty good - you get normal suspension comfort at a lower height. Not sure about RTA legality, but they only take 20 minutes to fit/remove.

https://www.whiteline.com.au/store/d...p?part=KLB61-1
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
On the front of the wagon I have effectively got Lows (XR8 ute springs minus 1/2 coil, so now 10.5 turns instead of 11. Standard spring has 9 turns. They lowered the front by 28mm, IIRC).I have had SLs and they were fine too, but they are now on the XR8.

For the rear, I have had reset leaves (went 50mm - way too much, but 40 should be fine), stage 1 pedders springs (equivalent to SL height), but I am currently running Whiteline 38mm (1.5") lowering blocks with standard rear springs. As long as you have a minimum of 17" x 8" wide (any wider or if the diameter is less than 17", the rims will foul on the bottom shock mount), then the lowering blocks will fit, and they are pretty good - you get normal suspension comfort at a lower height. Not sure about RTA legality, but they only take 20 minutes to fit/remove.

https://www.whiteline.com.au/store/d...p?part=KLB61-1
Out of curiosity JC, when you say the SL's in the rear were too low, was it scraping everywhere, or more of a terrible ride?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #9
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I haven't lowered my car yet George. Have been waiting for the stroker motor to go in and the rear bar to be complete to see how far I can comfortably go.

Ask me in a months time when I do lower the car.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Out of curiosity JC, when you say the SL's in the rear were too low, was it scraping everywhere, or more of a terrible ride?
Both.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My ute had the factory "sports" suspension in it (apparently AU XR height) ... and I lowered it another 1.5" lower than that ... so it brought the back down to a decent level (no 4WD height).

It's not overly low .. I can still get in and out of some of the worst loading docks around ... and over speed humps with ease (no slowing down ... well ... some .... and no need to go on angles either).

So for mine it's about the same level as Lows on an XR. I find it's a good height ... ride is still comfortable (even with gas shocks in) ... and when loaded up it doesn't sag too much either.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #12
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

thanks for the info guys, has really helped in my decesion, especially JC's info. will let u know how it all goes when i do finally get around to doing the suspension work. shouldnt be to far down the track.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post