Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Cadge

Default OffRoad AU

Hey Guys

Thought Id post up some picks of a project that me and a mate have been doing. Currently Running in an off Road event run by the Scout Associations for Rovers (scouts aged between 18 and 25). We picked the car up for $800, nothing wrong with it appart from it was missing its front bumper and a few bumps and scratches

Didnt do too flash this year as (as you can see) were running street tyres on a wet dirt track. Apparently you cant get 16 inch rally tyres, so what were going to do it jack it up and put 4wd tyres on it.

Does anyone know if you can get springs that are higher and will just "bolt in" to the AU? or will in need to get some specially made up.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Booka
OzECruisers FTW

go to bersons or somewhere that sells suspension, take and old spring and shock in and say " I want something this diamiter but x amount of inchers/mm taller and a shocker to suit" my cousin did this for his EA we were running 225/75 15" goodyear wrangler on 4inch lift.
dont have any pics on my computer will get some up soon

Edit: They scrubed on hard right hand corrners

EB II GLi, AU 4lt and auto conversion :evil3: , 17" mags, Tub's on the way, Sound system, Tinted windows, Lowered.
Booka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

That looks like fun

Cadge, you'd better stick your head under the front guard and observe how close the upright/spindle is to the top of the current tyre as it wraps over for the balljoint. Unless your planning on some silly offset wheels you'd better come up with a plan B as bolting a set of 4wd tyres on won't be as easy as you think.

You might get some ideas from here; http://www.trueblueford.com/ScottsAU2xr8ute.html

Old 07-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

That looks like so much fun. There was a country pack available with the AU which did have taller springs, etc, was about 2 inches higher.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Cadge

Yeah we love it... and considering its only cost us about $2100 so far is what we love most about it.

Thanks for the link Raptor... Some interesting stuff there that im def. gonna look into, but i dare say alot would be out of our price range

2 inches would be more than enough for what im doing, so ill have a look into that also.

Something else that we notices, but i didnt think was quite right - When we put 15" rims on the car, it seemed to rub on the inside arm... Ive been told that a SII AU cant have 15" on them. Is this true? Or is it something else thats causing it to rub.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The red EB in the above photo had lengthened spindals from memory.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadge

Something else that we notices, but i didnt think was quite right - When we put 15" rims on the car, it seemed to rub on the inside arm... Ive been told that a SII AU cant have 15" on them. Is this true? Or is it something else thats causing it to rub.
the sII had the bigger brakes hence the rubbing issue with the 15"wheels.. You could change to the single piston AU1 brakes + uprights then run 15's. Anyone with a series 1 AU would love to swap for yours for free so it would be a cost effective swap from your pov.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pick me lol

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
brad`
The Monty

No pick me! lol and ill throw in some tyres to lol

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it for myself i would try some higher profile commercial tyres and get a tyre place to groove them up in an appropriate pattern, it would`nt be as good as big wheels but it would be shed loads better than what you got, most truck tyre places have regroover apparatus and it it does`nt cost much., a place near my old work (footscray) would regroove a truck tyre for $20 a tyre.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
divyb

love the sticker on the front window! LMAO

Futurama yeah?
divyb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
That looks like so much fun. There was a country pack available with the AU which did have taller springs, etc, was about 2 inches higher.
Musta been what my car came out of factory witrh then : :

: :
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post