Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
theBlake

Default How to buy a used car from a dealer in NSW

I am not from NSW, thats why I am asking if there is any nuances in NSW I might have missed. I have read the guidelines from NSW Fair trading, and I gather there is no cooling off period for a straight cash sale, if I read it correctly.

Whats the norm for a deposit in NSW?
(In Qld the standard contract is $100 deposit)

If I do a contract subject to a satisfactory independant mechanical inspection and the result is that it is a complete dog, do I get my deposit back if I cancel the contract?

In NSW is the pink slip or roadworthy or whatever its called, is it required to be provided by the seller when they advertise it for sale. I am wondering if a dealler would try not to get one done if they know it will be registered interstate.

What I am intending is to do a deal on the car, get an independant inspection done, and then fly down to settle and drive the car away. A Ford of course.
One of the reasons I am looking at NSW is they have annual inspections, so its a bit harder to keep a dog on the road there.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: How to buy a used car from a dealer in NSW

The norm for a deposit is whatever you and the dealer agree to.

You will need it written clearly on the contract that it is subject to a satisfactory inspection.

If the dealer is selling it with plates it will need a pink slip. The pink slip number needs to be recorded on the form 5 when the car is delivered.

Even though pink slips are done annually in NSW they aren't as comprehensive as in other states.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is correct. A NSW Pink Slip is a 'safety inspection' not a full roadworthy.

The Blue Slip, which is required for cars brought in from interstate or those where their registration has lapsed, is a much more thorough inspection.

Also, I believe that a licensed dealer only has to supply a pink slip is the car does not full within the statutory warranty. In other words, if the vehicle is less than 10 years old or has covered less than 160,000 km, the car is covered by a 3 month warranty & therefore needs no pink slip.

A refundable deposit based on the outcome of a pre-purchase inspection, is quite common & most dealers are happy to comply.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
theBlake

If buying a car privately in NSW does the remaining CTP insurance cover pass on to the new owner, or does seller cancel it for a partial refund and buyer have to organise his own?

( in QLD the insurance and rego is together and it's all passed on to the buyer)

This question relates to recalculating a fair purchase price if the car has plenty of rego left and will be cancelled on sale.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rego and insurance carry over, but you would have to transfer ownership and pay the RMS fee.
Ive done this for a car, bought in NSW, had a familly member or friend with NSW license accompany me to RMS, transfered into my name at their NSW address.
Then drove until a week of rego left and transfered to Vic rego (no rwc required as not changing ownership).
This was because the vehicle I WANTED was in NSW.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
The norm for a deposit is whatever you and the dealer agree to.

You will need it written clearly on the contract that it is subject to a satisfactory inspection.

If the dealer is selling it with plates it will need a pink slip. The pink slip number needs to be recorded on the form 5 when the car is delivered.

Even though pink slips are done annually in NSW they aren't as comprehensive as in other states.
Satisfactory needs to be defined.

I bet what the seller finds as satisfactory is very different to what you deem satisfactory.

It has to be worded to 'your satisfaction'.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post