Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
pommyjames

Default The second hand car market at the minute

just a quick question, has anyone else found that the used car market at the minute is dead? Me and the girlfriend have a few cars forsale at the minute and we cant believe how slow its been. Our cars are very competitively priced for what they are and things are still dead. Anyone else finding the same?

pommyjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

short answer... yep..
no-one seems to be buying..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
pommyjames

just have to wait I guess and hope people come along, people are only interested if your basically giving your vehicle away!
pommyjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I'm not selling but I have been looking to buy a work ute, BA traytop. Been keeping an eye on the market for a good 6 months now and there are heaps on the net that have been on there for months

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Scott

Yes it is slow.... but, I was at an auction the other day, predominantly car yards bidding and I was astounded at the high prices they were paying compared to last year. Like 30-50% more than what I was seeing last year.

VX S Packs being sold at auction, to dealers, for ~$5k. Early 00's 4cyl Camry's being sold for $6k etc. Just crazy prices.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
The Mighty Red

plenty of bargains to be had
Old 22-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Strange. Something on the news last week about used cars fetching more dollars after the GFC as most people arn't buying new cars. Well I guess don't trust the news in what they say.

What cars are you trying to sell?
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Having the same trouble. And we're priced very competitively, not so much as 1 call.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

boats and cars not going for much if at all last 2 months, been looking at prices in cars for sale in this very forum and see most want at least 20% more than car yards are selling same cars for, so they have no hope unless car is one off rare thing
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

I sold this a couple of months ago for more than the Redbook value:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11286813

The car had a down side insofar as the odo was a bit higher than others on the market (if you can believe them to have 'original' instrument clusters). On the up side however, it was a less common model that was well equipped, in very good condition and very well presented (I spent two days detailing it). Despite this, only two people made enquiries, but one of them (who travelled over 300km to see it) bought it for nearly what I was asking.

For the car that replaced it (my 2007 Territory Ghia), I lost count of how many poorly treated examples for sale were knocked around more than my 1997 XR8. I quickly eliminated cars that were treated like the owner didn't give a rat's ****, but I eventually found a good one.

Based on my limited experience, I am inclined to think that condition and presentation are better selling points than a cheap price.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not good i was planning to put my ute on the market soon . I must say i hope your wrong
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know of at least 4 people at work selling up their cars and all still have them after 3 months....
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #13
Gladio

Market is been dead for a while now... Most people are penny pinching as much as they can...
Gladio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #14
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just before Christmas, I had a car for sale (an immaculate '89 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6) for well over what redbook valued it at (and twice as much as Shannons valued it at before I left them due to their incompetency), but it was still priced competitively compared to some of the buckets getting around on carsales. It took about 3 weeks to sell for what I wanted for it (price was inflated slightly in anticipation of haggling).

Straight after, I placed my 2nd Alfa on the market. This car is priced extremely competitively compared to the competition considering condition and originality, and it is STILL for sale. I found that after Christmas, right up to about 1 month ago, it was completely dead, not a single enquiry. Over this last month, it has started to pick up a bit but nowhere near where it was.
Old 23-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #15
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Girl at work just sold her car the same day she listed it, and at only $200 less then her list price (was on par with all the other cars on the market!)

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could it be more people are buying new?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
could it be more people are buying new?
funny you ask that,mate works at Marine place and he has been busy last 3 months testing new boats out before new owners take delivery,yet we cant get even a cheap sale for the boats we buy and sell lately in same town.
work that out.
last two trade ins from his work that he got for very cheap price ended up selling for same money as he paid just to clear his yard a month later, where normally he at least doubles his money within 24 hours
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #18
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Might be getting better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommyjames
just a quick question, has anyone else found that the used car market at the minute is dead? Me and the girlfriend have a few cars forsale at the minute and we cant believe how slow its been. Our cars are very competitively priced for what they are and things are still dead. Anyone else finding the same?
I would have agreed with you a week ago but in the last couple of days i have sold 2 x XY falcons that i have had for sale for a while so maybe the market is coming right? Boats are another matter, i have had one very competativly priced sitting here for 3 months and have dropped the price from $14,000 down to $10,750 but still no takers. Good luck with your sales.
Ed
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
GHO57
Frequent Fryer Card

I strongly beleive there is a still a strong market for cars, they are more searching towards new, small, fuel efficient vehicles, Very competitive pricing, more than anything else. In saying this, there will always be someone out there wanting your car. Good Luck mate.
GHO57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
GHO57
Frequent Fryer Card

I also beleive that alot more customers are buying new cars, as the warrenty & pricing are very competitive compared to a pre-owned.
GHO57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #21
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would have agreed with you a week ago but in the last couple of days i have sold 2 x XY falcons that i have had for sale for a while so maybe the market is coming right? Boats are another matter, i have had one very competativly priced sitting here for 3 months and have dropped the price from $14,000 down to $10,750 but still no takers. Good luck with your sales.
Ed
Old 23-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ed
Old 23-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ed
Old 23-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why it pays to drive a unique car.....
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #25
BOSHOG
avenge me

my MY03 STI is the cheapest in the country, by a long way, and ive had 1 person come and inspect it, maybe 6 genuine inquiries in 2 months.

so yeah i think the second hand car market is dead
Old 23-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
tick6vct
AU-XR-S3-VCT

my old man and i have been trying to sell of his nf 5.0 fairlane sportsman for nearly 6 months in canberra had one guy come and kick tyres that was about it.
Old 23-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #27
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just advertised an 80 series Landcruiser here in Brisbane and had 2 enquiries over the weekend. Priced reasonably at $10,500, auto, LPG, very good condition.
I will put it off till after tax time i think.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #28
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad sold his 1995 ef2 er6 a few months back for $9500!

Must be some sort of record!

Had about 100000km, perfect nick, dual airbags, bodykit and wheels. Had a few offers around that, no problems selling.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #29
buickman
buickman

I spent a while trying trying to buy a half decent car for the youngest son for a 1st car.

I looked at some EL & AU fairmonts for around the $5-6 thousand mark air bag and RWC. I tell you what there are some POS out there for that type of money and the cars looks 100% better in the pics and the sellers to me had no idea of what a clean & reliable car should be.

One AU 2 Ghia I looked at had quiet a few Kms no real problems for just over $6 grand I went and had a look at it after the owner told me the car was in very good cond it had more dents and scratches around the body than the cars that were written of in the recent storms and when I took it for a drive while cruising at about 8okms the rev counter needle went up and the car hesitated before resuming norml again he told me that is normal for Ford auto's, interior was stain ridden and 2 doors would not lock after immobiliser was set. I ended up buy a EL Fairmont for him for $4,000 with rwc and a lot of replacements on the car including the air cond being totally over hauled and all bar codes on the panels telling me that the car has never had a big enough hit to be replaced.

I think if the car is priced in a price range some one is wanting to spend and clean with good mechs the car will sell.

buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #30
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I spent a while trying trying to buy a half decent car for the youngest son for a 1st car.

I looked at some EL & AU fairmonts for around the $5-6 thousand mark air bag and RWC. I tell you what there are some POS out there for that type of money and the cars looks 100% better in the pics and the sellers to me had no idea of what a clean & reliable car should be.

One AU 2 Ghia I looked at had quiet a few Kms no real problems for just over $6 grand I went and had a look at it after the owner told me the car was in very good cond it had more dents and scratches around the body than the cars that were written of in the recent storms and when I took it for a drive while cruising at about 8okms the rev counter needle went up and the car hesitated before resuming norml again he told me that is normal for Ford auto's, interior was stain ridden and 2 doors would not lock after immobiliser was set. I ended up buy a EL Fairmont for him for $4,000 with rwc and a lot of replacements on the car including the air cond being totally over hauled and all bar codes on the panels telling me that the car has never had a big enough hit to be replaced.

I think if the car is priced in a price range some one is wanting to spend and clean with good mechs the car will sell.

I agree with you. The disparity between ad descriptions and actual condition often borders on fraudulent. I have been repeatedly disillusioned going around for weeks looking at secondhand cars. When you finally get a good one it calls for a celebration. True bargains are still hard to come by.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post