Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Default The demise of manual transmissions?

With technology continuing to provide automatic transmissions that change gear seamlessly and in some cases provide better acceleration numbers in a straight line, are we getting closer to a day where a manufacturer will drop the 'manual option' all together? The numbers show manual cars are continuing to be ignored with new car sales. With auto's such as our much loved ZF providing an amazing driveline and high end manufacturors offering flappy paddles that will no doubt be available at one point in the future for FPV models, could this possibly spell the end for the trusty old 'H' pattern?

There is no doubt die hard manual fans will never order a new car with an auto, but will a time come where it will no longer be economically viable for a manufacturer to offer a manual transmission? If so, it will be a sad, sad day

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say expense will keep them around.
Old 17-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, manuals became superseeded technology when they came out with 5- and 6-speed autos that could beat them in a drag race and at the bowser.

Manuals only exist for boy-racers, journalists and people stuck in 1967.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned as many manual cars as I have automatic cars, and i've enjoyed the first couple of weeks of having a manual, but when i'm shifting gear 247 times in one suburb, i get to the point where i go 'get me back in to a bloody automatic!'
Old 17-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
glavas

people are just very lazy. it is not that hard to change a gear. it takes half a second.

in asia and europe there are manuals everywere. if the manual does die off then the few remaining ones will be worth a fair bit.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not every country is like Australia and New Zealand in it's buying trend toward Auto's. The English in particular love manuals and even sectors of the American market - 'Sportscar buyers' in particular are hardcore manual gearbox nuts.

I think local V8's and small Euro 4's will continue to have a manual option for a while to come - although it is ominous when you read the latest articles on the Miami V8 that say the auto is so much better suited to the engine - and that's from motoring jouno's who are normally the most 'pro manaul' of them all...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
tweeked
N/A all the way

I never want to grow out of being a boy racer

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow arent we synical last time I checked all forms of motorsport use a manual transmission V8 scs TOCA WRC the list goes on the only form that doesnt use a full blooded manual is F1 and the boxes they use could be construed as very close to a manual been a while since I looked into it but aren't they twin clutch paddle shifts? so if they are what I think they are they are somewhere in the middle not a fully fledged manual but not a fully fledged automatic either, I see manual being around for quite some time yet as all but F1 still use manual transmissions in their race cars, this may change but I see it taking at least two decades maybe more for the tech to filter down to your run of the mill toyota..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
it is not that hard to change a gear. it takes half a second.
That could very well be a big part of the problem.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Grippy

I hope the day never comes, but it does seem to be becoming a lost art. Thinking about it last night I asked some friends if they've driven a manual car before, only 1 of the 6 males present had driven a manual car before, they're missing out on a lot of fun.

Old 17-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
^^ Same!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah, manuals became superseeded technology when they came out with 5- and 6-speed autos that could beat them in a drag race and at the bowser.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned as many manual cars as I have automatic cars, and i've enjoyed the first couple of weeks of having a manual, but when i'm shifting gear 247 times in one suburb, i get to the point where i go 'get me back in to a bloody automatic!'
Hmm, I seem to have heard this argument many time before except the word manual was replaced with V8 and the word automatic replaced with T6.

It is just as valid yet just as invalid depending on you point of view.

People who buy NEW cars tend to chose exactly what they want rather than what is available at the time and sales of bosth V8s and manuals do not seem to have suffered.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Not every country is like Australia and New Zealand in it's buying trend toward Auto's. The English in particular love manuals and even sectors of the American market - 'Sportscar buyers' in particular are hardcore manual gearbox nuts.
This guy is on to it.

I think real men will be able to change gear themselves for a while yet.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

At least with ford drivers, with the zf being as good as it is I'm sure many buyers are just not bothering with the manual, not taking away from manuals(I love cog swapping!) but sometimes a smooth euro transmission is a better choice than a manual especially in family cars.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Grippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
At least with ford drivers, with the zf being as good as it is I'm sure many buyers are just not bothering with the manual, not taking away from manuals(I love cog swapping!) but sometimes a smooth euro transmission is a better choice than a manual especially in family cars.
Exactly right, auto's are only going to get better as well.

Old 17-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Agreed, I reckon most would know my opinion on this.

Australia is very much like the US. I truly hope that the manual does not die off, but if the past is anything to go by then it might happen.

I will always prefer a manual, but there are times when my auto is nice to have too.

It doesn't matter how much faster, smoother or efficient an auto might be, a manual will always offer greater satisfaction as a driving experience.

There is a place for both, but if the accountants had their way then I would be worried. IMO driving a manual is actually a life skill, and unless you have a disability of some sort then it should be mandatory atleast when getting your license. What you do after that is your own choice.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

There was an article where Manuals were becoming popular again around the world. It was in Australia where manuals were dying off.

Seeing as most people are useless with a car I dont see them having the capability to actually drive a manual.

Quote:
Auto's only exist for Taxi's!!

That should even out the ignorance from that quote.

Last edited by vztrt; 17-11-2010 at 03:33 PM.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I do agree its funny how people say an auto is good in traffic etc, but as said above unless its a manual and diesel it just wont sell in Europe; and their towns/cities etc have smaller streets than ours.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
3vXT

They will around for a while yet. Auto's are still pretty complicated. If you get a metal case, fill it with rocks and broken glass and stick a steel rod into the top with a plastic knob on the end you've pretty much built your own T5 gearbox!! Its that easy you can do it at home!!! Needs a service? Simple, change the rocks
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or for drivers as opposed to vehicle steerers . It has been mentioned earlier in this thread but essentially Australians are bloody lazy just like the seppos . Go to the UK and most of Europe and you are absolutely flat out finding an auto . Much bigger market in Europe than here so cant see manuals dying anytime soon unless all of Europe suddenly develops Australiaitis .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately, the trend for high volume sales is drifting towards the automatic, it is a shame but most people, other than members who affiliate themselves with a car club or a public motor forum, tend to want to get to where they want to go with as little fuss as is possible - fleet buyers especially.

IMO manuals will still be available, but sometime in the near future, will become an option.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" I hope the day never comes, but it does seem to be becoming a lost art. Thinking about it last night I asked some friends if they've driven a manual car before, only 1 of the 6 males present had driven a manual car before, they're missing out on a lot of fun "

Do said 5 " men " also ride Yamaha Majesty's and drive RAV 4's .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope not. It's pretty much the same reason why I wish the V8SCs would go back to H pattern gearboxes.

I've always preferred driving manuals to autos. Autos have their place, but I'll always be happy with an extra pedal alongside of my brake, and accelerator pedals.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #23
crdave
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
I hope the day never comes, but it does seem to be becoming a lost art. Thinking about it last night I asked some friends if they've driven a manual car before, only 1 of the 6 males present had driven a manual car before, they're missing out on a lot of fun.
My mums never driven an auto!
crdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Re the US - having just done my 10th + trip being in customers cars and the like not 1 was manual, from Expeditions to large pick ups.
In fact reading recently a automotive journal whilst there 84% of the Nth American market is auto - what do you expect they want to keep stuffing their faces with fried chicken and over sized coke mugs whilst on the road LOL.....
Whilst on it Asia is fast growing towards autos and as for EU yes 80% is manual but the trend is starting to Semi Auto's (self changing clutchless manual) at premium models and lower.

footnote : I'm a man - I prefer manual reminds of my growing up days in the late 70's LOL.....there's positives negatives for either.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 17-11-2010 at 03:57 PM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe it is a lazy thing, but if your in the big smoke and stuck in stop start traffic on a regular basis auto is very nice.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
'
Fast forward a few years mate - you haven't really driven until you've driven an HQ Kingswood or Belmont 202 with 3 speed manual on the column with bench seat and no power steering...Ahhhh them were the days
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Damn I thought my 3 on tree HG was a pearla - 45mph screaming out of 1st - never ruined the box but damn changed 3diffs those days LOL....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

big cubes + big hp + manual = sex on wheels....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #29
BFYOOT

5 cars in our family, all manual,(6 if you count the tractor!!) bloody hope they dont get rid of them!!
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
skedy

the only time when i actually wished i had an auto was when i sprined my left fot a couple of days ago!!! hurt so much haha
skedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post