Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

No probs.it wasnt long ago where 3 inch exhausts were rubbished until Stiddy came along with his standard xr6hp manual and runs flat 15 second 1/4 miles.

Too many people take what they are given and jump on new ideas

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #32
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman82
I really think Useless needs some help in the maths department.

area = 3.14 x (radius^2)

therefore 2.5" = 4.9 square inches
2 x 2.5" = 9.8 square inches

4" exhaust therefore has an area of 12.56"

applying your "4L/5L" theory the optimum area for a 5L is then 15.7 square inches or twin 3.1"
My maths does suck.But I like the sound of a 4inch xorst sounds exotic.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 10-12-2005, 03:21 PM   #33
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
No probs.it wasnt long ago where 3 inch exhausts were rubbished until Stiddy came along with his standard xr6hp manual and runs flat 15 second 1/4 miles.
So how did that run compare to a run with a mandrel bent 2.5" system?
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #34
stiddy
Banned

when i had a 2.5in cat back system my pb was a 15.2 only ran it once, most times it was low 15.3's
with the 3in cat back system ive run a 15.009 and now running consistant 15.0's and 15.1's

im interested to see what a set of headers will do... but i'd say 3in is the MAX for an NA I6......
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #35
stiddy
Banned

oh and i'll add that its a Mandrel bent 3in system with only one small 14in straight through muffler...
its incredibly loud, really not for street.. no need for it, but i love it..
scared people, just ask HLC about our highway incident LOL..
but i think going twin 2.5's on an I6, would just be too much..
Old 10-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #36
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you going to modify the extractors to have a 4" output?

I would be doing a bit more research before you go ahead. When people are jumping on new ideas it is usually for a good reason.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #37
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is interesting... i am researching exhaust size, and thinking of going 3"...

when doing my engine conversion, i noticed the extractors have a 3" flange, then going into a 2.5" system.

my only concern is whether 3" will be too big, as with the cam i have i have already lost a fair bit of bottom end power, but then i just have to launch harder and slip the clutch more...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #38
stiddy
Banned

go the 3inch..... so what if you have to launch/slip harder at the track :P
i let mine go from 3500 - 4000rpm...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #39
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
go the 3inch..... so what if you have to launch/slip harder at the track :P
i let mine go from 3500 - 4000rpm...
It really depends on how much you lose down low to how much you gain up high. I really struggle believing that a good 2.5" exhaust is any sort of restriction on anything other than a highly modified 6. Im putting out 146kw and making 95mph passes with 2.5" press bent exhaust.

If I was going to be giving up any more of my low end power I would make damm sure I was getting way more back at the top end. That is unless I gave up using my car as a daily driver.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #40
stiddy
Banned

whats done to your car?

i wouldnt say you loose alot of bottom end power.. but you can notice a gain up the top.. sort of feels like they have moved the power band up 500rpm.. or cut 500rpm power from down low and stuck it uptop..
i certainly dont regret getting a 3in system..
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #41
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Four inch on a 6 cyclinder is not only overkill, it would be horrible noise pollution.
And not all cars gain power with pipes dropped, mine makes 14rwkw more with the first section of exhaust on, but loses 30rwkw with the tailpipes on.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:55 AM   #42
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i used to run a very interesting setup ...

two sets of extractors (a 3 cyl) ending in a 2" flange, connected to two 2.5" cat, then 2.5" piping for another meter before cellecting into a 3" pipe that connected to the 3" muffler, from there 3" over the diff to tip.

bottom end was house even before i put that exhaust due to the cam i was running. however it allowed to rev quite freely and quickly in the top end. performance gains were only minimal, however did show small increases in the overall power. Overall noice was actually a tad quiter in the bottom end, but definatly quite angry in the top end. Great little experiment ... took two weekends and lots of swearing

BTW best results i gained from no exhaust :p suprise suprise

the new engine will receive a twin 3" exhaust with twin 4" cats ...
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #43
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief

two sets of extractors (a 3 cyl) ending in a 2" flange, connected to two 2.5" cat, then 2.5" piping for another meter before cellecting into a 3" pipe that connected to the 3" muffler, from there 3" over the diff to tip.

bottom end was house even before i put that exhaust due to the cam i was running. however it allowed to rev quite freely and quickly in the top end. performance gains were only minimal, however did show small increases in the overall power. Overall noice was actually a tad quiter in the bottom end, but definatly quite angry in the top end. Great little experiment ... took two weekends and lots of swearing

Actually evil chief this is exactly the setup we used in the 2502v xa six but had it dual exhaust and we couldnt reach the radio buttons when accelerating from all the torque.From each 3 cylinders a sepereate exhaust system.I want to do this but want to check insurance.It is either 4 inch or dual exhaust.
How did you run the ego sensor?

Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #44
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief

This would be worth trying I think too. I had an XT with a 221 and cam with a similar setup with balance pipes between them after the transmision and it sounded beautiful and reved cleanly to 6000rpm. The cam helped here but pre exhaust it wouldn't get past 5500 easily. i used to get asked if it was an 8 all the time
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #45
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Injected 250.Run a twin exhaust man..I have seen this done on a 250 2v motor and it flew!!If you would like more details pm me.
way back when......... I was young + just as stupid as now I did this 2 a 250 2v twin 4" dump pipes full length from front gaurds to just in front of rear tyers chrome plated + all ,admitted it was a xw panel van but the note was
somthing 2 be heard (usually up 2 5 miles away yes I am old) complete with triple carbys + one muther of a cam shaft...... 6 defects in 6 months could"nt all be wrong could they...... xw long since gone to Ford heaven but motor still lurking in corner of shed just waiting..............
So I reckon if you car"nt fit it under chuck it down the side + Go 4 it

lol Whoosha.

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #46
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
way back when......... I was young + just as stupid as now I did this 2 a 250 2v twin 4" dump pipes full length from front gaurds to just in front of rear tyers chrome plated + all ,admitted it was a xw panel van but the note was
somthing 2 be heard (usually up 2 5 miles away yes I am old) complete with triple carbys + one muther of a cam shaft...... 6 defects in 6 months could"nt all be wrong could they...... xw long since gone to Ford heaven but motor still lurking in corner of shed just waiting..............
So I reckon if you car"nt fit it under chuck it down the side + Go 4 it

lol Whoosha.
Were these tripple webbers buy any chance ?...
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #47
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
Were these tripple webbers buy any chance ?...
1"3/4 SUs solid lifters trw pistons 700 16 cam.........ect
its no good Ive got go to the shed and start plotting a new life for it
she who rules not gunna be happy...............................lol

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #48
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Actually evil chief this is exactly the setup we used in the 2502v xa six but had it dual exhaust and we couldnt reach the radio buttons when accelerating from all the torque.From each 3 cylinders a sepereate exhaust system.I want to do this but want to check insurance.It is either 4 inch or dual exhaust.
How did you run the ego sensor?
i assume u r asking about the oxy sensor?
the ox sensor was fitted to the extractors of the rear 3 cylinders. we tested which one (the front 3 or the rear 3) were running leaner and found that the rear ones were just very slightly leaner. That way we could be sure that the leanest reading was used as point of refrence. Engine ended up running just a tad richer, but it was acceptable, as reading were a max of .1 off.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #49
EFFalcon
Last warning

Bwahahahahahhahahah
anything i'd have to say would be too mean.
lol!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #50
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you really want the maximum exhaust flow from your engine, you need to match the cross sectional surface area of the exhaust pipes to the surface area of the exhaust manifold (for most people this would be extractors). The best system would actually be one pipe per cylinder, but running 6 cats and 6 hego sensors is a bit expensive, fiddly and you will probably get incorrect readings from that many O2 sensors.

I have PH4499s, so I think they are a 1 5/8" primary. 4480s are 1 1/2" primaries - I'll use them as they are pretty close to each other anyway. So if you want to keep the same surface area as 6 x 1.5, work out the surface area as Pi*R^2 for one, and multiply by 6.

Surface area for 1 primary = 3.14159 * 2.25 = 7.07 square inches.
6 of these is 42.42.
To find the best single pipe, now divide 42.42 by Pi. The answer is 13.5.
Get the square root of 13.5 and that's the ideal diameter for a single system = 3.67" pipe.

For 1 5/8 primary, the answer is 3.98" - close enough to 4" really. So useless may be onto something, if it weren't for things like back pressure, torque etc. In an ideal world, 4" would be ideal
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #51
EFFalcon
Last warning

might as well just run straight out of the head then
Old 11-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #52
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
might as well just run straight out of the head then
Don't mention that. Someone may try it! LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 11-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #53
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
If you really want the maximum exhaust flow from your engine, you need to match the cross sectional surface area of the exhaust pipes to the surface area of the exhaust manifold (for most people this would be extractors). The best system would actually be one pipe per cylinder, but running 6 cats and 6 hego sensors is a bit expensive, fiddly and you will probably get incorrect readings from that many O2 sensors.

I have PH4499s, so I think they are a 1 5/8" primary. 4480s are 1 1/2" primaries - I'll use them as they are pretty close to each other anyway. So if you want to keep the same surface area as 6 x 1.5, work out the surface area as Pi*R^2 for one, and multiply by 6.

Surface area for 1 primary = 3.14159 * 2.25 = 7.07 square inches.
6 of these is 42.42.
To find the best single pipe, now divide 42.42 by Pi. The answer is 13.5.
Get the square root of 13.5 and that's the ideal diameter for a single system = 3.67" pipe.

For 1 5/8 primary, the answer is 3.98" - close enough to 4" really. So useless may be onto something, if it weren't for things like back pressure, torque etc. In an ideal world, 4" would be ideal

Do all your cylinders fire at the same time?? I don't think mine do.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #54
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Don't mention that. Someone may try it! LOL.
We have tried it... its good
Old 11-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #55
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
We have tried it... its good

Yup me to.. nice 10 inch long blue flames from the head
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #56
Walkinshaw
Two > One

everybody loves a melted radiator headder bottle

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #57
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Do all your cylinders fire at the same time?? I don't think mine do.
True, but at 3600 rpm, that's 60 revs per second, so while the cylinders fire at different times, at those revs it's almost at the same time. Plus there's some overlap - that's how extractors work, the exhaust process from one cycle helps scavenge the exhaust from the next by providing vacuum (also known as back pressure). That's one fo the reasons a 4" system wouldn't work, but that's real world stuff, not theory.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #58
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True, but at 3600 rpm, that's 60 revs per second, so while the cylinders fire at different times, at those revs it's almost at the same time.
Yes, but because of the increase in piston speed at higher RPM, the exhaust gas is moving at much higher velocity and therefore clears the extractors/exhaust MUCH faster. Bottom line - 4" exhaust on a na 6 is just crazy overkill from a performance point of view. If you want it for brag factor fine, but not for performance.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 AM   #59
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
That's one fo the reasons a 4" system wouldn't work, but that's real world stuff, not theory.
lol, since when did the real world matter... :
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #60
EvilChief
Boost Addict

fact is big diameter exhaust are good for high rpm applications ie racing (drag or strip) where the engine is always within optimum rpm range is never left and where so called back pressure is not that important

smaller diameter exhaust are good for street application, where engine is mainly used in low rpm application to provide increased torque and driveability and of course less noise ...

id like to see a race car with undersized exhaust for the low end torque jk
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold