Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default 4inch exhaust for the AU

Well ive been thinking about it an think a 4 inch exhaust may be my next move.
If 5 litre enigines run with 2 2.5 inch units well the area of piping is 5 inches. So we are essentially running each 4 cylinders off 2.5 inch pipes.

I might give this a go.1 inch per litre

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

HAve fun with that.....Id love to hear that :>:>.. Is there even room to run a pipe that size.

Just dont go pulling the house drain pipe of the gutters of youre house...

Last edited by INJECTED_250; 10-12-2005 at 10:51 AM.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Go for it Stav.. will be "interesting"

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I don't think it works quite like that though.

high-boost applications use 4" exhaust systems.

For N/A systems to work properly they need the right size for the exhaust pulses to scavenge the gases out of the system. It works on vacuum to suck the exhaust out ... each pulse has a vacuum behind it to suck the next wave of gas out.

Going too large in diameter will not allow enough vacuum ... which in turn doesn't allow to gass to get out quickly enough ... resulting in a loss power and torque.

Turbocharged vehicles are different ... needed as large as possible an exhaust (high boost applications) ... as the turbine wheel causes turbulence ... totally different to an N/A setup.

There's some excellent tutorials out there on the web about this that explains it better than I can.

The V8s use 2.5" for each side ... which is a decent size ... but it allows for exhaust pulsing to work efficiently ... going up in size too much can adversely affect this.

What are you currently running now on the 6???
With your power outputs .... you should be able to go up to 3" in diameter ... and gaining some ... but jumping up to 4" I think you will find you will lose power ... and definitely lose torque as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I don't think it works quite like that though.

high-boost applications use 4" exhaust systems.

For N/A systems to work properly they need the right size for the exhaust pulses to scavenge the gases out of the system. It works on vacuum to suck the exhaust out ... each pulse has a vacuum behind it to suck the next wave of gas out.

Going too large in diameter will not allow enough vacuum ... which in turn doesn't allow to gass to get out quickly enough ... resulting in a loss power and torque.

Turbocharged vehicles are different ... needed as large as possible an exhaust (high boost applications) ... as the turbine wheel causes turbulence ... totally different to an N/A setup.

There's some excellent tutorials out there on the web about this that explains it better than I can.

The V8s use 2.5" for each side ... which is a decent size ... but it allows for exhaust pulsing to work efficiently ... going up in size too much can adversely affect this.

What are you currently running now on the 6???
With your power outputs .... you should be able to go up to 3" in diameter ... and gaining some ... but jumping up to 4" I think you will find you will lose power ... and definitely lose torque as well.
Shhhh, you're spoiling the fun. Sure it wont work... we all know that.. but imagine a wagon with a 3300rpm highstall and a 4" exhaust. You'd hear it coming from 4 miles away :

Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Here is somthing i find interesting.. I actually went from 103-104 to constant 107's gained 3-4 mph by dropping the exhasut at the colector on my 250 cortina .. THe system is 2.5 inch with only one semi/of set muffler. There for by fitting a 4 inch system wouldnt this just be kinda the same. There for no loss should be experianced. IT would depend on the CAM i was running a pretty hot 260@050 cam which i gues would like a very free flowing exhaust... ON an AU with a mildish cam (which they are in the world of cam shafts) i could see a power loss occuring but hey u never know. Mabie run it on a dyno with the exhaust of then on???
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Sorry Casper but now that reality has intruded... It is not the diameter, it is the area of the exhaust that matters - 2 x 2.5" pipes do not have the same area as a 5", quite a lot less in fact.

I have a flaw in the theory though, I have a <1L car with a 2" exhaust... perhaps you should go 2" per litre and have an 8" exhaust lol
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Sorry Casper but now that reality has intruded... It is not the diameter, it is the area of the exhaust that matters - 2 x 2.5" pipes do not have the same area as a 5", quite a lot less in fact.

I have a flaw in the theory though, I have a <1L car with a 2" exhaust... perhaps you should go 2" per litre and have an 8" exhaust lol
HOT DAMN! I have the VCT so I have room for twin pipes built in. Can I go TWIN 8"??? Should be cool so long as a couple bull elephants dont mistake them and do rude things to my car! :

Old 10-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
HOT DAMN! I have the VCT so I have room for twin pipes built in. Can I go TWIN 8"??? Should be cool so long as a couple bull elephants dont mistake them and do rude things to my car! :
: : that would look interesting
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Go for it Stav.. will be "interesting"
Bhwaaa haaa haa

You meanie!

But after reading some of your posts of late useless, I say go for it too.. build that rocket wagon! Why stop at 4"?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
stiddy
Banned

LOL 4in is too big... i wont say anymore..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Stav I love your mental battles to get more power !
Ever thought up there about buying a faster car ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Does he mean 4" long, or 4" diameter. 4" long may work, but not diameter.

To get the same area as dual 2.5" on a 5L for your 4L, 3.1" is the optimum size, so 3" is the size you could go.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

ive got 3inch on my car, and i think thats boarderline, feels a little gutless under 2500rpm, but having a manual im not overly fussed...
but for an auto, i think it would make it slower off the line..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
A JATO pack you mean?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #16
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG. I can't wait to see the result on the track...... Stav were does your knowledge come from. Have you been talking to 18 year old kids with there mother's auto Hyundai's and big exhaust.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #17
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

A good twin 2.5' system could be worth while but I doubt it. A 4" single system just won't fit and really has no hope as it will be too hard to run properly on a street car.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Ok then why do cars with no exhaust gain big power?
For all the smart guys.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #19
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Ok then why do cars with no exhaust gain big power?
For all the smart guys.

Not all cars do.

My bike is slow as walking with a dropped exhaust.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

If the air fuel ratios are corrected it should run good

Old 10-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #21
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Stav I love your mental battles to get more power !
Ever thought up there about buying a faster car ?
If I got a faster car I would have to play more sports. :

Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
Here is somthing i find interesting.. I actually went from 103-104 to constant 107's gained 3-4 mph by dropping the exhasut at the colector on my 250 cortina .. THe system is 2.5 inch with only one semi/of set muffler. There for by fitting a 4 inch system wouldnt this just be kinda the same. There for no loss should be experianced. IT would depend on the CAM i was running a pretty hot 260@050 cam which i gues would like a very free flowing exhaust... ON an AU with a mildish cam (which they are in the world of cam shafts) i could see a power loss occuring but hey u never know. Mabie run it on a dyno with the exhaust of then on???
Injected 250.Run a twin exhaust man..I have seen this done on a 250 2v motor and it flew!!If you would like more details pm me.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #23
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
If 5 litre enigines run with 2 2.5 inch units well the area of piping is 5 inches.
Your maths skills could use a little work.

Id LOVE to see the look on the faces at the exhaust shop when you ask them to fit the 4" pipe.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
Your maths skills could use a little work.

Id LOVE to see the look on the faces at the exhaust shop when you ask them to fit the 4" pipe.
Ill take a photo. :Reverend:

Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #25
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly cars without exhausts do pick up power but its at the expense of the low end. Secondly twin 2.5" isn't the same as a 5" exhaust, its far less than that, some simple maths will show you that. Thirdly, V8's with twin 2.5" or even single 3" systems do suffer from low end power loss compared with smaller pipes.

A 4" system on a NA 6cyl running 15's is an absolute joke, but I guess it will give all those genIII's you keep beating something to look at as you pull away from them.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

What do gen3s have to do with anything.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #27
NEG
Diabolus

i say get a single 2 1/2 or 3'' and put a 4" tip on the end, or why not a 5" :P
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #28
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Firstly cars without exhausts do pick up power but its at the expense of the low end. Secondly twin 2.5" isn't the same as a 5" exhaust, its far less than that, some simple maths will show you that. Thirdly, V8's with twin 2.5" or even single 3" systems do suffer from low end power loss compared with smaller pipes.

A 4" system on a NA 6cyl running 15's is an absolute joke, but I guess it will give all those genIII's you keep beating something to look at as you pull away from them.
Don't laugh too hard there were plenty of genIII's at WSID lining up against useless' wagon and no word of a lie there were a few that didn't get away till well past the 1/8th mile. And these genIII V8Owners guys are serious about their drag racing!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #29
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

go the 4", if your putting a 460ci in it
Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #30
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

I really think Useless needs some help in the maths department.

area = 3.14 x (radius^2)

therefore 2.5" = 4.9 square inches
2 x 2.5" = 9.8 square inches

4" exhaust therefore has an area of 12.56"

applying your "4L/5L" theory the optimum area for a 5L is then 15.7 square inches or twin 3.1"

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post