Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
hugoti

Default Annoyances about car dealers

Don't you get annoyed when you turn up at a car dealer to have a look at some of their cars, in my case a couple of Territories they have, when they tell you they can't show you because their "boss" has taken it home?

SIGH!

hugoti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this title is gonna open a big can of worms.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

not wrong snappy, but you got to admit a Territory Turbo Ghia would be a nice set of wheels to do the shopping in!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of mine went to car city and was looking at getting a BMW X5 and they had like 4 of them sitting together he had to find sales dude and when he did he was eating an orange - friend said "I am interested in those X5's can you come unlock them so I can check them out" guys response was "why look why not just buy" friend then said "wow you have had far too many c*c*s huh" and left

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

annoyances?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got told the wrong price on a runout Fiesta, about $3000 more expensive at a Ford dealer, thats about the only problem I've had there, besides only having new FG XR6s, no 8/Turbos etc and all of them smelling like seafood baskets inside the car for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
gtfpv
GT

asked for a drive of a nice 2nd hand commadore once, got given a ride around the block in the passenger seat, made the guy stop at a servo , and bought a drink. upon exiting i thanked the guy for driving me to the shop. then left.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
asked for a drive of a nice 2nd hand commadore once, got given a ride around the block in the passenger seat, made the guy stop at a servo , and bought a drink. upon exiting i thanked the guy for driving me to the shop. then left.
Its chicken and egg stuff isn't it...., its no wonder some car salesman get a bit short or un co-operative with some people they've "pigeon holed".. i bet they get sick of tyre kickers and time wasters...

Old 29-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What was your point in doing that?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Salesman may get sick of the tyre kickers, but thats no excuse to treat everyone who walks through the door as one. Do these guys really think the majority of the general public head into a car yard because they like to be hassled by a slimy little lying toe rag salesman for fun? Apologies for that comment to the 3 or 4 honest, respectful car salespeople in the country, I'm sorry I haven't met you yet.
Old 29-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
Apologies for that comment to the 3 or 4 honest, respectful car salespeople in the country, I'm sorry I haven't met you yet.
When you do find them can you please pass there details onto me too lol
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We should get a few people here to work in car dealerships all over the country as salesmen, then go to them when we need to buy cars so they give us the best possible deals and discounts all the time and let us test drive how we want haha.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 29-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
We should get a few people here to work in car dealerships all over the country as salesmen, then go to them when we need to buy cars so they give us the best possible deals and discounts all the time and let us test drive how we want haha.
Ok lets try it. Come in when we have a sales position and we'll see whether you are suitable.
But when you give a too big a discount when you have been told not too - That's warning number 1. When you let customers test drive how they want without following dealership safety and policy guidelines- That's warning number 2. Three strikes and your out!

It works both ways. If a saleperson is lazy, or simply doesn't want to help? Then walk away. There are plenty of good salespeople out there that do a good job and do their best to make their customers happy.
On the other hand if someone walks into the yard and starts talking down to them, after a few minutes, it's not worth the braindamage. I would give what I get.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoti
Don't you get annoyed when you turn up at a car dealer to have a look at some of their cars, in my case a couple of Territories they have, when they tell you they can't show you because their "boss" has taken it home?

SIGH!
The car, or a car, is part of the package when in the motor trade. And every company car is always on say but it will not always be there. So it's simply unfortunate and the dealer would surely offer an alternative, take the car out to you or let you know when it's back for a test drive.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The quality and integrity of the salesman is in general directly proportional to the sales price of the vehicle....

Yes there are exceptions but that's my feelings after buying cars at all price points over 20 years...

Old 29-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Is it true that if a person requests a test drive in a car, that it immediately places more pressure on the salesperson to make that sale right there and then?

I guess what Im getting at is, if a potential customer wants to take a car for a drive, then the car sales person is almost under obligation to get that person to sign a contract right there and then, and not let them go.

While I understand its a lot of effort to get a car ready for a 5 minute test drive only to feel like its been more of a joy ride, but is it necessary to place incredible amounts of pressure on the car buyer just for the hassle they have placed on the dealer to take the car out to test it out?

I have a car salesman mate who literally HATES people wanting to test drive a car only for them to walk out at the end of by saying 'oh I want to think about it'. So he basically refuses to let someone test drive a car unless they want to buy it. Personally for me, that puts a lot of pressure on the buyer. But at the same time, I can see the frustration of tyre kickers out there wanting to abuse the right of test driving a car IF they arent interested in that actual vehicle at all.

I think respect needs to be shown on both accounts.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoti

SIGH!
Never had that happen to me. I've driven a couple of dealer principles cars and signed on the dotted line on my return (including my last vehicle).

There are good salespeople and bad ones. I've never hesitated to walk off a yard if I've encountered a bad one. I encountered many bad ones on my last purchase but I remain optimistic everytime I need to talk to one. I'm sure if someone walked up to you in your place of business and gave you attitude right off the bat, you'd be unlikely to provide them with much help (though I'm not suggesting you did but that's certainly the tone of the thread).

Last edited by Rodp; 29-01-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Ok lets try it. Come in when we have a sales position and we'll see whether you are suitable.
But when you give a too big a discount when you have been told not too - That's warning number 1. When you let customers test drive how they want without following dealership safety and policy guidelines- That's warning number 2. Three strikes and your out!

It works both ways. If a saleperson is lazy, or simply doesn't want to help? Then walk away. There are plenty of good salespeople out there that do a good job and do their best to make their customers happy.
On the other hand if someone walks into the yard and starts talking down to them, after a few minutes, it's not worth the braindamage. I would give what I get.
Someones sarcasm detector is broken. I'll come and apply if you fly me to Sydney and pay for my food/accomodation.
Quote:

Last edited by Daymoe; 29-01-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 29-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT

agreed totally ratt . thats why when i ask salesmen for a test drive , i expect them to view my licence, get the keys , give them to me , and sit in the car with me when i test drive it .
if that doesnt happen then . they have absolutely no chance at all of selling me a car. i never aspire to be a passenger/ make appointments/listen to excuses like , you cant test drive it , these cars sell themselves , whats your bank account balance?. i normally buy cars in about 15 minutes . but spend days getting ##F### AROUND BY F'WITT SALESMEN . this in know way is reflected at you , as i've never met you, i'm sure you cop the other side of it with customers , but unfortunately, they are the ones giving you business , not the other way around , this is more me answering the reply to my posts above . thats why i went and bought a drink, because i am never a tyre kicker, and will always treat people as they treat me .
Old 29-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont blame car dealers for being a little annoyed or treating customers like the way some do. While they should remain professional and give the best customer service as best they can, come on, who hasnt just " gone for a joy ride " with no intent on buying that day. 10 times out of 9, used car salesmen would offer you a drive on the hope it could turn into a sale.

It was a right of passage around my way once you got off your Ps.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
gtfpv
GT

i tend to think , wether the test driver purchases the car or not, or the reason for the test drive . is totally irrelavent, with main stream vehicles anyway. if a manufacturer produces a vehicle . why wouldnt they want someone to test drive it ???
when you go to a perfume shop, there is a test bottle for people to try, just as there are test drive vehicles in every dealership. you dont have to prove your buying perfume to smell it . . cars are only cars , they are not some priveliged inheritence.nothing wrong with driving one around the block at all , wether your buying or not . that's what the DEMONSTRATION VEHICLE IS FOR .
Old 29-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i tend to think , wether the test driver purchases the car or not, or the reason for the test drive . is totally irrelavent, with main stream vehicles anyway. if a manufacturer produces a vehicle . why wouldnt they want someone to test drive it ???
when you go to a perfume shop, there is a test bottle for people to try, just as there are test drive vehicles in every dealership. you dont have to prove your buying perfume to smell it . . cars are only cars , they are not some priveliged inheritence.nothing wrong with driving one around the block at all , wether your buying or not . that's what the DEMONSTRATION VEHICLE IS FOR .
Testing perfume is like sitting in the car at the dealership, you don't leave the shop with the perfume leaving nothing for serious BUYING customers to look at or test.....
Also there's a bit of a difference between a $70.00 bottle of perfume and a $44,000.00 car.....

Old 29-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I dont blame car dealers for being a little annoyed or treating customers like the way some do. While they should remain professional and give the best customer service as best they can, come on, who hasnt just " gone for a joy ride " with no intent on buying that day. 10 times out of 9, used car salesmen would offer you a drive on the hope it could turn into a sale.

It was a right of passage around my way once you got off your Ps.

Can't say I ever have...Ive visited dealers selling nice machinery like Mclarens, Bristols, Astons etc but have always ensured that the sales person know I was merely looking and not in the market for one.
If I want to have a squirt in a fun car, I'll go to the garage and take my old coupe out....I prefer driving it over any modern car!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Testing perfume is like sitting in the car at the dealership, you don't leave the shop with the perfume leaving nothing for serious BUYING customers to look at or test.....
Also there's a bit of a difference between a $70.00 bottle of perfume and a $44,000.00 car.....
I GUESS the dealer has the right to risk losing a sale , on the basis that the person in his eyes doesnt deserve to drive the car, as i have proved to them before by walking out . then there have been happy ones who dont regret handing me the keys, they shouldnt regret it by me not buying the vehicle either. i can tell you there are 2 reasons i buy a car , buy if i like the way it drives and looks , and price . i have bought new vehicles without a test drive . because of price and looks . others i needed a drive 1st . that,s not the salesmans business , it's mine . if he wanted to lose the sale , and belive me many many have thats thier choice . i just wish they wouldnt waste my time . i have the upper hand , i'm the one buying .

dealers that dont allow test drives are like realestate agents that wont allow you to look at ( walk through a house . or step foot on the property)
Old 29-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I GUESS the dealer has the right to risk losing a sale , on the basis that the person in his eyes doesnt deserve to drive the car, as i have proved to them before by walking out . then there have been happy ones who dont regret handing me the keys, they shouldnt regret it by me not buying the vehicle either. i can tell you there are 2 reasons i buy a car , buy if i like the way it drives and looks , and price . i have bought new vehicles without a test drive . because of price and looks . others i needed a drive 1st . that,s not the salesmans business , it's mine . if he wanted to lose the sale , and belive me many many have thats thier choice . i just wish they wouldnt waste my time . i have the upper hand , i'm the one buying .
Hey i agree, so what would you say to the salesman who let some tyre kicker take the car YOU wanted to buy out for a free fang and it wasn't available for YOU to look at/drive because you're a serious buyer, and you just walk out because it isnt there???
See my point?
I bet the only reason a dealer wouldn't find you a test drive vehicle is because he's scouted you as a time waster or tyre kicker, and i bet if you were a serious buyer and you'd made the appropriate "noises" he'd happily lend you a tester...

Last edited by 4Vman; 29-01-2009 at 02:21 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #26
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remembered another one - friend went to look at a FD rx7 that was advertised at a car yard online he was told "we will take your details viewing of this car is by appointment only", he says "is it here now, can I physically see it?" he was then told "no its not here at the moment, but we have......... " he went there specifically to see that particular car and had it been there he would have bought it as he had finance pre-approved.

When I was looking to buy my BA I seen an ad in the trading post saying we have 1,000 BA XRs for sale, so I contacted them by phone saying "I want a phantom xr6 turbo do you have one" the response was "We have half a dozen of those now can I have your credit card details so I can take a deposit" this was over the damn phone so I hung up on the clown. I don't care if he has a billion of them, there is no excuse for being a <<insert abusive adjective here>>.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Hey i agree, so what would you say to the salesman who let some tyre kicker take the car YOU wanted to buy out for a free fang and it wasn't available for YOU to look at/drive because you're a serious buyer, and you just walk out because it isnt there???
See my point?
i would never walk out if a salesman tod me the car is out on a test drive . or genuinly wasnt available for a drive , in that case i woyuld come back the next day. but if one was sitting there and the dealer states we dont allow test drives , or come back tomorrow when i'm less busy. then thats another story . i am speaking from my own experiences too, i have made appointments because the dealer was busy and came back the next day, in my alloted appointment time , only to be interveiwed, and then not be given a test drive/ but been handed a sheet to say that i'd had a test drive, to enter a competition, and then asked to come back again for a test drive with my wife . . and i had cash , over 60 available which was not needed to be discussed with them .

of course i just drove to the next dealer , who didnt have a gt available in manual for me to drive , but only an auto ( which he apoligised for ) and a manual xr8. which i drove as well. i shoulkd mention that it took 5 dealers to find one that was happy and made no fuss and was available for a test drive . he had the sale when i came back from the drive after 5 minutes of price negotiation. i didn't have to explain my reason for being to that dealer . in fact i didnt have to explian anything to him , nor him to me . he simply gave me a test drive and a price without going through a procedure , he also saifd that if i wanted to wait and try the GT MANUAL. THEN I COULD .
I THINK THE DEALER IS THERE TO DO THESE THINGS NOTHING MORE , UNLESS ASKED BY POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS .
Old 29-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #28
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always been honest with them in wanting a test drive and they have always responded well. The last time I bought a new car from a dealer (2003) I was comparing the Mazda 6 with the Honda Accord Euro and that's exactly what I told both dealers. Neither had a problem with me testing their cars. I had made up my mind on the Honda but just wanted to test the Mazda anyway. Sure the Mazda guy was disappointed when I later told him I went with the Honda, but reasonable sales people accept that they won't make a sale every time. I'm sure he didn't have any trouble moving his 6 on to someone else. Treated respectfully, in both directions.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive never test driven a car till i was serious about talking turkey.. i've even refused a drive because i wasn't ready to get serious... because of this honesty ive developed an excellent relationship with my dealer, when i want a drive he knows i'm serious, no questions asked, its available when im ready. He also knows im not big on mucking around and playing the negotiating "game" so we usually get to a good deal quickly... its one of the benefits you get from showing loyalty to your dealer if they treat you well.

Old 29-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
xls3v

went to a dealer for a ex demo car for the misses "ad was in the paper" yard was 50km from my home called dealer arranged a time. Got there to be told it was getting detailed and come back first thing next day. Went to buy next day and told it was sold at the detailers. i was like wtf!
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post