Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Lightbulb For Sale forum - Wrecking cars?

As the title suggests.. I am asking this as I want to start a thread, but the rules are not so clear cut..

I have seen a few threads closed due to not having prices for all items being wrecked. Now I am wanting to wreck a car but surely it is not expected to put a price on all items on a wrecking car. If I was to itemize everything from the front numberplate surround, to the chrome cap on my tow ball it would honestly take hours and thousands of pictures to itemize everything individually..

Sure, I do believe that people need to provide prices for items for sale but am I seriously expected to put a price on (for instance) the drivers side reading lamp lense? or a single header bolt, a rear trailing arm ect.. Or if offering an engine in a wrecked car do you have to supply a price for all items? like stock pistons, rings, valves, etc etc

"To me" it seems like some get away with providing minimal information on parts for sale, whilst others are grilled for not having pics of everything.. For instance if I take a single pic of the entire car, it includes everything within a "complete car", right?

Is it time for a "wrecking" sub forum within the spare parts forum?

Just a thought...Not wanting to ruffle feathers, more constructive criticism.

Ta,
Cam

Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.

Last edited by Cam; 07-10-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The rules are in place for members for fair and smooth transactions without having countless amount of questions being asked on'' do you have this'' and ''what does this cost'' and before you know it the thread is into multiple pages long.

I understand that it's a considerable amount of work putting pictures up and prices but do you really believe someone will buy something without seeing the true picture of the item being sold and if someone does buy it with seeing it then its send and on arrival there disappointed with the condition we end up in a dispute...

Our Forum isn't a selling site like ebay or trading post, etc: the sales yard forum is a privilege for our members to use as a benefit to help our members sell there personal goods..

If you make an effort to list a good part of your parts with pics and prices I am sure the mods will see the effort being made and understand that you may not have listed every little thing....

Selling something on a site that takes a fee will require you to list the value of everything you sell.

Taking the time to this will only benefit you with sales and the rewards are all yours, we take no commission..

As far as I am concerned anything that is sold and is used needs to be accompanied by a picture, therefor having another sales yard forum for wrecking cars wont change anything it still comes under spare parts forum.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Cam
Stroking it...

Fair enough, I do see your point of view. I do not want to go through pages of for sale ads to find something I am looking for..I do love aff because it is well moderated, saves me sifting through the crap..

What are the rules on EOI's? the reason i ask..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310418 - Is an EOI with a heap of gear not listed that I am interested in, but no prices..I can ask, yes. But potentially turn it into a massive thread..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310543 - firm prices on a few things I was very keen on. now locked.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310099 - a few parts on there that I am interested in, and even a quote
Quote:
have lots of stuff and dont wnat to take peoples bandwidth with 10000's of pictures!
I dont "wnat" to takes peoples bandwidth either...

I dont want to start a crap throwing fest but I want to sell parts from my complete car... I feel I have been a contributing member of this "ford forums" community, so I feel I should be able to do so.

I get annoyed at the "dont post multiple threads for multiple items" threads where people use 5 threads to sell 5 things, regularly. But we are expected to post pics of all items for sale?

This may seem like a rant, but I have a car sitting here ready to wreck and have held off due to the reasons above..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
memphis2k

I agree with Cam, having wrecked out several cars I feel its a bit rich to expect to post a picture and price of every single part on a whole car getting wrecked (1,000's of parts).
Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
MAV50L
Banned

No need to attack me Cam because I made a spelling mistake and use me as an example.
What bits are you interested in? I have not seen a PM or anything from you.
The way I see it is get pictures up of the bulk of the stuff with prices and people can see the overall condition of the car and parts.
If they are after something specific that you havent listed and they PM you , give them a price and be preparred to get a picture of the part and send it to them in a PM.
A serious buyer will make the effort to send a PM. I have found that it is generally tyre kickers that reply in threads as a rule.
So thankyou for making an example out of my listing. If you are genuinely interested in bits from the Lane and make the effort to send me a PM I will do my best to help you as I have others.
I think you just need to use a bit of common sence doing your listing and be preparred to make the effort to get extra pictures as required.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

........ just to continue from Spooly's post, Cars being wrecked without specific pics and prices are never ending, become a mess very quickly, no one knows in a very short time what is for sale and what has sold, arguments start because of incorrect information provided, people underselling or thinking they are the ones who purchased, questions not being answered and a 'For Sale' thread that has no ending. Products not being sent and a full time job to control whats going on. In the end its the MODS and ADMIN who end up picking up the pieces and being the go between for bad deals and cleaning threads. Once most adds hit 2 pages .... it starts to loose control.

As stated by 'memphis2k' above ........ 1000's of parts would involve how many posts?

Again as Spooly has mentioned ...... if there are ample, good general pics of what is being sold with an expected price and an effort has been made to make things as clear as possible the adds survive with no interference. List the main products and keep the questions about the light bulbs to PM.

It is a free service, the people who use it a getting something out of it so all we ask is please, put the effort into adds to keep things legible. Keep to the K.I.S.S system and all flows so much better.

OH .... and thanks for pointing those out. I would read 50 For sale threads a day and always miss quite a few.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
The rules are in place for members for fair and smooth transactions without having countless amount of questions being asked on'' do you have this'' and ''what does this cost'' and before you know it the thread is into multiple pages long.
would it work if the "wrecking section" had no chit chat what so ever (kind of like all threads get locked straight up and used to advertise only til car is all parted out and or sold and then thread is to be removed)
The owner must provide email or phone number/s and all contact between potential parts "buyer" and wrecking "seller" to be made via PM's, email or phone ONLY!... just to stop threads blowing out of proportion that is... just my 2c but cant see the issue in it working like that?

im all for it tho +1

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Bobman
Regulator

Having wrecked 3 cars in the last few years: 1x EL, 2x BA, I can tell you that all you have to do is put up say, a dozen photos of the most valuable items with prices. Just look at my threads for examples.

Most of the time, you'll get people PM'ing you about other parts or someone buying one thing will end up buying a few more things when they come to pick-up.

I wouldn't waste time putting up photos or prices of 'hard-to-sell' stuff.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Fair enough, I do see your point of view. I do not want to go through pages of for sale ads to find something I am looking for..I do love aff because it is well moderated, saves me sifting through the crap..

What are the rules on EOI's? the reason i ask..

This may seem like a rant, but I have a car sitting here ready to wreck and have held off due to the reasons above..
Please use the report button mods and admin have plenty of threads to cover and everyone's help is appreciated..

================================================== =================================

I often see the other side, we deal with complaints of parts not turning up, people being Sold something different and it goes on etc, the current system wont be getting changed at this time and if this service isn't to someones liking they do have a wide choice of other dedicated selling outlets on the net they can use.

We will however like all things on this site at some stage review the this particular Forum area and see if something can be improved.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread