Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Default Ford Unveil Iosis Concept Car

Taken from AmericanCarFans.com

Quote:
Dramatic, precision, high technology lighting

Ford has unveiled the striking iosis concept car – a vehicle that defines an exciting new design direction for Ford of Europe. Building on the style of the Ford SAV Concept shown at the Geneva Motor Show earlier this year, iosis demonstrates Ford's new 'kinetic design' philosophy. The car will debut at the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show.

"iosis is more than just a show car, it is sending a message about how Ford of Europe's future design will be defined,” says Martin Smith, Ford of Europe's Executive Design Director. "It sends a bold message because our future products will be bold."

Energy in motion

With 'kinetic design', the Ford of Europe design team has embraced the marque’s core values in an expressive, new design language. iosis expresses this language in its ultimate form. Kinetic design visualises Ford's acclaimed driving quality – it expresses energy in motion.

The foundation for this new design language is modern vehicle architectures derived from Ford's 'shared technologies' strategy. Designers now have the freedom to develop very different models and designs from these shared component sets. 'iosis' demonstrates how the same component set used for the SAV Concept shown at Geneva can be applied to an entirely different type of vehicle.

In the case of iosis this language is applied in its most muscular form as expressed by the full surfaces spanning taut, dynamic feature lines. Strong shoulders supported by sharply defined undercut lines further support this muscular stance.

To emphasise the athletic proportions of the body the principal surfaces are precisely sculptured, which is most evident from above when a clearly defined three plane plan view can be identified. At the front this elimination of imprecise rounded forms has the effect of visually shortening the front overhang. Contributing further to these athletic, sculptural forms are the well defined wheelarch lips that have become a familiar Ford design signature since they appeared originally on the Ford Focus.

Overlaid on these well defined sculptural forms are clearly recognisable graphic elements. Prominent among these is the distinctive daylight opening area with its characteristic upward tick at the rear. On iosis the new face of Ford is represented by the familiar Ford graphic of an inverted trapezoid air intake, in this case placed below a bold, chromed grille.

Strongly drawn lamp graphics at front and rear are further identifiable elements with the headlamps also echoing the upward tick seen in the DLO. The precise detailing of the rear lamps and the chamfered lower corners of the rear glass combine to form another clearly identifiable graphic that defines the rear of the car.

This complex surfacing and careful attention to graphic forms contributes to the tense, muscular stance of iosis. This is enhanced by precise detailing that is evident in the jewel-like featuring in the lamps and the wide, strong rocker panels. Exciting, new wheel designs with design cues drawn from the graphic elements seen elsewhere on the car are a final, vital element of the overall 'kinetic design' story. On 'iosis' this feature is expressed in a typically strong way with 20-inch wheels, milled from solid aluminium billets, featuring a contrasting polished and anodised finish that accentuates their three dimensional design.

The strong sculptural forms, clearly recognisable graphic elements and fine detailing that are defined so strongly on iosis will be applied in varying ways on all future Ford of Europe models. This 'kinetic design' provides the clearly identifiable form language that will enable Ford to drive towards design leadership.

Dramatic inside

The interior design of iosis follows the dramatic themes of the exterior, while retaining an inviting ambience. The unique angled pivoting door arrangement gives complete, uninterrupted access to the interior, and ensures there is an instant visual link between the interior and exterior.

All the sections from the instrument panel through to the centre stack and through to the console reflect the dramatic forms of the exterior. The instrument panel itself is a slim and complex form that sweeps around the front occupants of the vehicle.

These forms are complemented by a selection of trim materials and colours that interprets the dynamic sporty exterior in a particularly modern way. By combining futuristic materials such as rubber and aluminium with luxurious materials, like leather, an ambience has been created that matches a technical character with sophistication.

An ultra modern steering wheel fashioned from solid aluminium with contrasting orange glove leather grips and a graphite metallic leather airbag pad is matched by the Focus World Rally Car inspired sequential gear shifter.

Together they embody all the themes running through the interior: contemporary craftsmanship, high quality materials and a touch of surprise-and-delight technology, with the starter button mounted beneath a flip lid on top of the shifter.

The driver's pit is dominated by a prominent instrument binnacle housing a cluster of analogue instruments. Their chronograph precision is balanced by a high definition LCD display, reconfigurable for the navigation system or views from three rearward facing cameras.

Eye-catching seats with skeletal frames featuring a ribcage and vertebrae structure are fashioned from aluminium and formed rubber. Separating the front seats is a 'flying bridge' centre console. The air vents featured on the facia and the centre console have a twist control that unfurls the vanes in a way that mimics those of a jet fighter’s afterburners. This imagery of a jet’s thrust is highlighted in the doors by aluminium inserts which flow and taper away from the vents.

Neoprene is used extensively in the interior finishing in three colours: dark charcoal, "oxygen" - a metallic grey - and a strong shade of technical orange. There is also a unique leather finish that has a subtle, graphite metallic look. For the floor, conventional carpeting has been replaced with a more rugged, structured weave with technical silver highlights.

Innovation

iosis features a number of design innovations. The dramatic angled pivoting door arrangement features doors constructed from carbon fibre for lightness. The doors are powered by rams that swing them upwards and outwards via a system of sophisticated hinges that ensure additional support isn’t required when the doors are open.

There are no conventional door mirrors on iosis. Mounted in the rear valance is a camera to complement those on each door . The exterior cameras are pieces of precisely machined aluminium, swept back to further underline the car’s visual appearance.

The front lamps have an inner circular turning led for low beam with a vertical day time running light, separating it from the turn signal on the outer edge. Beneath these lighting elements are ten main beam leds, emerging when lit from tubes like a series of lasers. This look is echoed in the rear light cluster with tail lights organised in a circle with a flattened top, flanked to the outside by the indicators and inboard by the stop lights.

Inside iosis, the centre stack houses docking points for a pair of memory sticks. It is possible that rather than using a conventional key or even keyless entry, a memory stick could be used that as well as acting as a security device, would also contain the driver’s personal preferences for driving position, audio settings, screen configuration, etc.

Another surprising feature of the interior is the extensive use of electroluminescent foil to illuminate the doors and ceiling. In addition to being very package-friendly, it emits a gentle, even light and can be cut into any shape.

"Ford of Europe is acknowledged as being a leader in driving dynamics, and amongst the best for craftsmanship as well as being affordable and reliable. These are all attributes our customers associate with Ford. Now we are targeting compelling, emotional design," said Smith. "iosis sends a message that Ford is serious about design leadership."

iosis will make its world debut on the Ford stand at the IAA Frankfurt Motor Show, which opens to the public on September 15 th 2005.
Looks tough. But the rear lights and boot lid is a complete cut and paste of the new jag xk.

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
paul7v7
bring it on

that looks gooooooooood
Old 31-08-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

It looks OK, almost like an "updated" version of the GT90...
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Dunno about the interior in partic. the steering wheel but the rest is damn nice.
Old 31-08-2005, 11:43 PM   #5
Pik0

How much?
When?
and will it be coming to Australia

That looks sooooooo phat...
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like a GS430 and Vanquish combined - and somehow collected a Honda interior along the way.....

Can also see some Mazda too.

Thumbs up!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
marcosambrose

I love the interior, if i had the money id pay ford and buy that one, in a different colour though...
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

*cough squashed AM Vanguish cough*-

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 01-09-2005 at 12:14 AM.
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

loooove those doors
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 12:07 AM   #10
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ummmmm Opel Insignia?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1749
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

That has got to have the ugliest interior and back end I've ever seen...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #12
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That has got to have the ugliest interior and back end I've ever seen...
i love it, feels like your in a futuristic spaceship...cars are still under-designed, the Citreon C4 is the only advanced looking car out there...(thats affordable)
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #13
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Roofline towards the back, moving into the rear wheelarches, has definite Aston overtones. Head and tail lights are a bit fussy, and not too keen on the "kick up" in the headlights, they should have kept the downward angle which is more aggressive.

All in all, it's not the worst concept I've seen from Ford, not by a long shot.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Looks like they borrowed Aston's designer. I think it looks awesome! Will it have the 6L v12 engine too?
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
*cough squashed AM Vanguish cough*-

My thoughts exactly mate!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Looks good. I'll take one.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Im still wondering what the little silver tray is for in the front of the drivers seat. Covering an Airbag for testicles maybe.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Im still wondering what the little silver tray is for in the front of the drivers seat. Covering an Airbag for testicles maybe.
It's an air con outlet for your nuts... you know how those hot days can get...
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looked ok until I saw the interior shots and then I had this 60's flashback....

na na na na na na na na BATMAN!!!!!!!!
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 11:13 AM   #20
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's foul
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
i love it, feels like your in a futuristic spaceship...cars are still under-designed, the Citreon C4 is the only advanced looking car out there...(thats affordable)
And the Citroen C4 is grotesque. I'll stick to "under-designed" cars thanks, at least I could live with myself if I bought one. And look at it without shuddering whenever I need to go somewhere..

:
Old 01-09-2005, 01:09 PM   #22
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

The exterior is awesome. The interior is terrible. but "if" this car ever made it to production it no doubt would be toned way down as is the case with the majority of concept cars that make it to production. I dare say the doors would be revised also to a more standard opening style. The wheel would be more normal too Id say.

Concept cars are supposed to be way out there.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps it was based on the same platform as the Aston? Ford does own Aston Martin dont they?

This car doesnt really do a lot for me.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #24
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
And the Citroen C4 is grotesque. I'll stick to "under-designed" cars thanks, at least I could live with myself if I bought one. And look at it without shuddering whenever I need to go somewhere..
you serious?

The C4 CTS (sporty version) is the best looking car getting around. And that concept above is awesome!

Id rather have something that makes a statement or that has some kind of "wow" factor than a car that no one notices; there is a limit (AU for its time).

Why didn't you get a camry steffo :
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #25
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Looking good, looks like in belong on Star Trek tho with the interior

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
you serious?

The C4 CTS (sporty version) is the best looking car getting around. And that concept above is awesome!

Id rather have something that makes a statement or that has some kind of "wow" factor than a car that no one notices; there is a limit (AU for its time).

Why didn't you get a camry steffo :
I think you mean the C4 VTS.. there is no CTS. And design taste differs from person to person.

I personally could never like that thing.. just look at it. Especially that horrid rear end.

Just look at the back of it...

It can have as much wow factor as it wants, I'd never buy that. Ever.

:
Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah thats the one..CTS..lol..thats a caddy (which I like aswell )

Your right, design is a very personal thing.

But id rather push the boundries than be too conservative. BA = conservative, AU went to far. There is a happy medium but its veyr hard to get. Let me find a better pic of the C4...lol..Ill bring you around! :

EDIT: better pic attached..sorry ive forgotten my photobucket p/word
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4.JPG (19.2 KB, 68 views)
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 01-09-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #28
SSbaby
Banned

Guys, that looks (unashamedly) very much like the Opel Insignia!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #29
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Gee, I can't help but think I've seen that before.

-EDIT-

Ahh yea, thanks for the picies.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ouch that is embarrassing..still...Insignia looks like a Vanquish :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane