Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
krusic
XR5T Pilot

Default Cruise control on Focus XR5?

Does anyone have any information on whether the Focus XR5 will be available with cruise control? According to the ford UK website, cruise is not available on the UK focus ST. All information I have found out about the vehicle points to the fact that it will not have it.

This is quite important as I use cruise every time I drive on the highway and with the stupidly small tolerance for speeding here in Victoria, the speed camera tax state, I don't want to be booked for accidently doing a few kms over the limit. At least with cruise control, most of the time you do not have to keep looking at the speedo to make sure you don't creep up.

Thanks,

Steve

krusic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Stampy

This is a good point and as the ST170 did not have it and was not an option .

I hope its at least an option on the XR5T

Will they ever release a XR5 non T?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
BlackLS

If it has the aus-spec 4 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel it should.

The ST doesn't have cruise i thnk because of the 3 spoke steering wheel.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

No cruise control because its Manual shift only.

If you're an eagle eye speedo watcher I doubt the XR5 is for you anyway... :sm_headba
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
rider007

Ummm, my Zetec is manual with cruise control. It's now quite common on manuals. I too was interested to note if the XR5 had cruise. Also, does the 8 speaker Sony sound system still have the Ipod connector in the glove box ? . And side curtain airbags ?. Need more info from Ford :
Old 17-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
KJGH
G6E Driver

I couldn't get cruise on my manual LR Zetec because of VDC AdvancTrac (aka traction control). I believe the ST170 had VDC as standard.
Old 17-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Guys, the absence of cruise on the XR5 will no doubt be purely a marketing decision, coz I'm willing to bet good money that the Volvo S40 T5 6 speed (the car from which the engine and gearbox are sourced) has cruise control.

Like the Australian ST170 (I’m pretty sure it was an option on the UK spec cars), the XR5 is a performance orientated car that is aimed at the driving enthusiast, and I guess Ford Australia thought that cruise control was both inappropriate and undesirable on such a car. I could by way off the mark here, but that’s the only reason I can think of.

It’s a shame though, coz I for one love cruise control and used to use it religiously on my XR6, as it stopped me from inadvertently contravening the speed limit....I mean, I'd never do it on purpose ;)

Last edited by orsest170; 17-02-2006 at 09:36 PM.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
If it has the aus-spec 4 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel it should.

The ST doesn't have cruise i thnk because of the 3 spoke steering wheel.
Looks like its the 3 spoke.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
tbearz

ah bother....seriously who the hell sells a $40K AUD car without cruise control
Stupid ford
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
Mick K.

Orange car is UK spec too - isn't it?
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #11
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Guys, the absence of cruise on the XR5 will no doubt be purely a marketing decision, coz I'm willing to bet good money that the Volvo S40 T5 6 speed (the car from which the engine and gearbox are sourced) has cruise control.
I reckon it's got more to do with small volumes and development costs. If it had the exact same powertrain as the S40, you could probably do a plug and play job, but there some slight differences. It wouldn't be some $500 development job to get cruise for Australia.

Most of its competitors have cruise in Australia, so I suspect given that cruise isn't available overseas on the ST, it's probably not here because none of the major markets are demanding it. I'm sure they would get cruise if they could get it.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 02:08 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

No cruise on Aussie Foci, not developed by Europe since they don't jail you for 102 in a 100km/h zone over there. Cruise control in Europe is your eyes, common sense and judgement. Something we don't seem to be allowed to posess or use here.

Previous models with VDC Advance Trac fitted (standard on ST170, optional on Zetec) were not compatible with Cruise since the PCM with VDC AdvanceTrac is different and cruise was not deemed compatible., something to do with the ABS or Wheel Speed sensors I believe already being used for the VDC system (whihc measure constantly 25 times per second) Forget that other manufacturers were doing it, it's the decision made at the time and whatever program they had in the LR Focus's brain. Too much for it's brain to handle perhaps...

I have lived without cruise for 3 years and done countless highway trips without a point lost or ticket issued. I would have LOVED to have it but it's not impossible to drive, in fact it's quite easy to drive without it. I'd give anything to have it, but unfortunately I can't give enough (and I've already given my nuts away for an XR5T...) so I just have to live without it. Still love my car although I agree had highway been my main need, it would have seriously put the VDC Advance Trac option out of the agenda.

I believe XR5T is the same, simply not engingeered or developed for cruise, Australia is too small a market to justify it. When I lived in Brussels in 2000 they had never heard of cruise control, I had to explain to them how it worked, seemed quite a novel idea to them.

I can tell you though the XR5T is no problem keeping to speed on the highway, it sits beautifully under boost at 1000km/h and spins at around 2,000rpm at 100. Awesome. :evilking:
Old 18-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Lagom

Quote:
I can tell you though the XR5T is no problem keeping to speed on the highway, it sits beautifully under boost at 1000km/h and spins at around 2,000rpm at 100. Awesome. :evilking:
I dunno, any car under or off boost at 1000km/h would be pretty awesome to me ;)
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish my car could do 1000kmh lol
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
krusic
XR5T Pilot

I was at the motorshow and talking to the guy on the stand and he had heard different reports of whether the car has cruise control. So it looks like I will just have to wait and see.

The main reason I want cruise is because probably 90% of my highway driving is on the melboure-geelong road and the western ring road. Would just be nice to not even have to worry about the cameras.
krusic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

i do a lot of Geelong / Melb cruising in my XR6T (yes it has cruise) and i'm so blitheringly paranoid about the cameras and speeding now it really wouldn't make a dif if i had it or not...

It might also have something to do with the fact that i'm on my 12 months 'keep yo licence if u dont feck up' period.. hehe DOH!

I've tried to stop getting excited over ford turbos, but it seems i'm doomed to fail... just need to keep it under control.... UNDER CONTROL... KEEEP

/me runs away screaming...
Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

THE CAR DOES NOT GET CRUISE CONTROL.

I drove one this afternoon from Geelong to Melbourne and it's not really an issue, passed more speed cameras on that highway than I thought possible.

And going 1000km/h basically means that my cruise control is the firewall, no need to get tired, just bury the throttle all the way. Cameras can't detect me at 1000km/h anyway he he.
Old 19-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #18
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone really wanted it, they could get aftermarket.... or go back to a standard LX/Zetec/Ghia Wheel..... I am sure people will be willing to give up the ST wheel for Cruise.... ;)
Old 19-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You don't seem to understand... it's not a case of the wrong wheel, it's a case of the car not being able to take Cruise control as the computer is not designed to know what it is. You can't simply bolt on a Ghia wheel. It has nothing to plug into. The ST computer is not engineered for cruise control so unfortuantely the only way is aftermarket (or move to Europe). Only problem is that it has an electronic throttle as far as I know, meaning manual cruise control may also be impossible. So throw caution to the wind, avoid highways and take the twisty roads instead... you won't regret it!!
Old 19-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
KJGH
G6E Driver

Don't worry Mr. Zetec, I believe you. It was pretty funny when shopping for the LR Zetec with the mixed answers I got from dealers asking about cruise with VDC though. I would have thought dealers were briefed with that kind of info.
Old 19-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #21
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You don't seem to understand...!
You are right, i didnt understand. Do now. Have survived many years without it, but in my old age *cough* you tend to not concentrate as hard as you do when you are younger...

For me & Cruise control, its all about convenience... and lack of fines.

Some aftermarket criuse work off the electronic speedo, i think. But hey, how dodgey would they look!
Old 19-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #22
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't Touch The Car....it's Perfect As It Is
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #23
Mick K.

Golf GTI gets cruise.
Renault Megane 225 gets cruise.
There is nothing about a turbo 4/5 cyl hatch that says cruise is not required.
Sitting on a motorway/highway in light traffic, cruise keeping a constant speed saves ankle pain, speeding tickets, etc.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I cant believe this thing doesnt get cruise or the optoin, just lost about 5 points with me, that put its back to 3 out of 10.

Good job Ford Europe.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'm confused guys. Are you buying the car because it has Cruise Control? Or because it is a great Bang for Your Buck and from what i know, will absolutely kill most hatches?

Be honest. It is a feature. It does not make the car.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

For nearly 40 grand by the time you get it on the road plust add some options, any car today should have cruise control, specially in Australia with the way our roads are speed policed.

Id rather spend an extra 8 grand and get an XR6 turbo with cruise control as I use it every day and do about 40,000 kays a year, its very important to some of us who travel up to 500 kays a day on a regular basis.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #27
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I agree totally with Teki, however I do know other competitors have it. Still not worth $4 grand for a Gold GTi with less power, less room and cruise control. But that's me. Others see the value in their VW badge and by all means, they're buying a damned fine car. I'm willing to forgive the car for the lack of CC, some aren't and have other needs. More for me!!!!!!
Old 20-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
For nearly 40 grand by the time you get it on the road plust add some options, any car today should have cruise control, specially in Australia with the way our roads are speed policed.

Id rather spend an extra 8 grand and get an XR6 turbo with cruise control as I use it every day and do about 40,000 kays a year, its very important to some of us who travel up to 500 kays a day on a regular basis.
A little biased... you own a XR6 yes? And sure - the XR6T would be $8K more with CC. But, Ford are not targeting XR6 folk.

Now, 500km a day on a regular basis...

I don't do that much, but i do frequent Wollongong and the south/north coast often. Really, at 100kmh it is VERY easy to cruise. I however, loving the way my car handles (sure the XR5T would be better - obviously) take the long way down... through the twisties! More fun, and you learn the ability of your car.

Oh, and I'm doing 30,000km a year - so not too far off the 40000 yet.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 20-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #29
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Here goes:
Golf GTI vs Focus XR5T
147kw vs 166kw
280Nm vs 320Nm
17 inch vs 18 inch
$39,990 vs $35,990
$2,990 vs $2,000 for leather
$690 vs $300 for metallic paint
CC vs No Cruise

Now, considering the Golf comes from South Africa, and the Focus from Germany... WHY is the Golf so much more expensive?

Leather Golf vs Leather Focus with metallic paint:
$43,670 vs $38,290

Now, for $5,380 MORE, you dont get recaros, you lose power, and you have smaller rims (AND YOUR CAR ISN'T GERMAN - Sorry VW; but your not so German anymore!)... but you get Cruise Control. Do you see your argument falling to pieces now?

Steven

Last edited by Teki04; 20-02-2006 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Focus made in Germany (XR5T anyway)
Old 20-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #30
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Hrrm i understand the claim that it's a sports car Etc, but these cgars are dailey drivers and unles you live in NT no cruise is going to be a pain in the backside.

My mum is seriously looking at an XR5T, she loves them, they look good, the topgear review made it look evan better and it will be a great little car to get around the street in, But...

She does alot of Highway Km and this is a pain especially living in the speed camera state of Australia.

Maybe i will continue to push her to get a 2nd hand XR6T sedan instead...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post