Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Default VW GOLF VI wins Wheels COTY

Just saw it on ACA, beat the Prius, E-Class and Skoda Superb as finalists.

Where was the Fiesta?

Old 19-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
US kills Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Where was the Fiesta?
It has a Ford badge on it which automatically eliminates it.
US kills Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Yes but still, I haven't heard a bad word about it, even by Wheels.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by US kills Falcon
Exactly.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

haven't followed wheels much lately. But, and no offence ot anyone that may own one of those cars...but i just noticed one thing. All the finalists are pretty damn BORING.

Ok maybe not the Golf GTi etc. but you'd hardly get giddy talking about your toyota prius (a hillarious finalist considering a fiesta econetic is now on sale), the skoda is great value but.... and of course, the mercedes e class, filled with great technology and by far better drive then its predecessor.....except its far from well priced and looks very average. This reinforces why i don't buy wheels mag anymore....they have gone all 'tech/enviro/value' etc. and forgot that car enthusiasts used to give a crap about what was interesting and fun to drive!!!! FG didn't win COTY last time because it didn't have enough useless rubbish in it to satisfy the 'feature shoppers'.
MORE HERE:
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/News/VOL...ullarticle=yes

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wheels have sold any shred of credibility they had left many years ago, now they just plain sell coty to the high bidder or so it seems to me.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THe fact that the Prius was considered sort of makes this award look like one of those booby prizes that they used to have on 'Vidiot'.

The Fiesta is hailed as 'Best in Class' and is the most fuel efficient (which is what buyers are most after nowadays, or so it appears), but wasn't considered too much.

The VW is a great car though. The result is probably a fair one. How is the new VW different from the previous model though?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Actually looking back, the MX-5 was the last worthy winner of this award, and that was back in 2005, 2006 was the VE, and that only won because it was a rather lean year, 2007 was the Mercedes Benz C class, and while it is a great car, it is too expensive to be worthy of what was once seen as the best award in motoring. 2008 was the Accord Euro, when it really should have been either the cheaper Mazda 6, or the better value FG Falcon. But the fact that the Prius even made it to the finals this year, tops it all.

I don't know how many people actually saw it on ACA, but the journalist covering it actually had the stupidity to say that the latest E-Class represents great value, and is actually cheap.
Old 19-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
How is the new VW different from the previous model though?
I thought that the Mk VI was a substantial facelift of the top half of the Golf V. VW released the mk VI ahead of it's normal cycle, if is meant to be better, cheaper to build.

To be fair the mk V was ahead of it's competition in some ways so a totally new model wasn't justified for the mk VI.

Nice to see the VW groups economy of scale coming through with quality & features
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Just saw it on ACA, beat the Prius, E-Class and Skoda Superb as finalists.

Where was the Fiesta?
Too tiny. Back seat is cramped. Flat seats. Interior is too girly (I am girl and I am not sure I'd want to be seen in one) and a little bit tacky.

Golf is streets ahead even if a little Teutonic. Would have one tomorrow...so long as it was a R32 :
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by US kills Falcon
Ohhhh boo hoo
Short Memory? Who won it in 2002?

The Golf is a deserved winner, well done VW. I was disappointed the Fiesta wasn't there as I was sure it was a tie with the Golf. When I get the magazine I will read up as to why it wasn't a finalist.

The Mark VI is a substantial change from the Mark V, they have taken the bench mark hatch and made it even better. I applaud it; having considered one previously. There is no hatch out there for the same $$ that will give such refinement and quality.

I suggest some here actually go and read the criteria that Wheels use for the COTY. The price of the car isn't a deal breaker, hence previous winners being S-Class Merc and Lexus LS400.