Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 AM   #1
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

Default New Focus - Joys and Heartbreaks

I've been given heart by the experiences of other new Focus owners!

I took delivery of a new Pure Silver LX sedan (manual) 4 weeks ago - from dealer stock (this is a true story!) - and it's been back 4 times. In this case, it's mainly dealer incompetence - apart from that, the car is brilliant. To those still waiting, just be assured that it's worth it.

My car is a very early one (June, I think), which may explain a bit. The boot fit was appaling, and I made a point of requesting it be fixed before delivery. It wasn't. Also on delivery the power steering was making a high-pitched whine at standstill and walking pace. How these chronically obvious faults got through (a) factory quality control; and (b) dealer delivery ($1,495) is breathtaking.

Taking the car back for both problems, I was told that "You have to remember that this is a new steering setup, and take that into account." I objected that no other Focus I'd driven had it, so they agreed to look at it. A new pump and reservoir was ordered from interstate and later fitted. So that's fixed.

Like ShockWaveXR6na, my boot lid was so poorly aligned that it was scraping paint off the bumper in one corner. The dealer, on not being able to fix it, booked it in to a paintshop (for 2 days), and handed it back to me with "they've done a great job", which was only partly true - a two-second glance showed it still wasn't right in one corner. So it's booked in again. A half decent crash repairer can get panel gaps almost perfect on a near write-off, so I don't know why this is so difficult.

ANYWAY.... two seconds behind the (chunky leather-wrap) wheel is enough to forgive all. Especially at night with those quality green instruments. If I didn't know better, I'd put money on it having a small '6' under the bonnet. I'm not pushing it too hard, but it's just so sweet. Passing a truck or something noisy, you have to look at the tacho to see when to change - there's just no vibration or harshness through the seat / wheel / pedals / gearshift (contrast to Mazda 3 which I was going to buy before the Focus was released - only minor kw difference, but much less refined).

What I can't understand is why no-one is raving about the manual gearbox. What a honey! The change is so short, quick and precise - particularly 3-4-5 - it really makes the car. Although there's ample torque for less gearchanges, I find myself changing just for the sheer fun of it.

So, yeah, I'm browned off with the dealer, but just love the car.

New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
owens

I hear ya. I have a similar model (june) and have had a few minor problems, however the ride more than makes up for it. I have just noticed though that the material under one of the rear headrests is coming out. we've never moved that headrest so I haven't noticed it before... will get that looked at at the 3000 km service that will come too soon. I haven't had any of your problems, but I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled.

You're right, the manual gear change is so smooth and I often find myself at 4 - 4500 revs before I know it, my old corolla hardly ever went past 3500.

Cheerio.
Owen.
owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Due to all these issues im hearing about poor interior quality, is the CAR put together in South Africa but the Engine/Transmission/Chassis made somewhere else? So is it ALL built in South Africa?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Focus
What I can't understand is why no-one is raving about the manual gearbox. What a honey! The change is so short, quick and precise - particularly 3-4-5 - it really makes the car. Although there's ample torque for less gearchanges, I find myself changing just for the sheer fun of it.

So, yeah, I'm browned off with the dealer, but just love the car.
Yeah, the gearbox is sweet. Depends on what your used to I guess but I'm quite impressed with ours. Only thing that bugs me is it doesn't like going back to 1st when still moving slowly but other than that is a great shifter.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Yeah, the gearbox is sweet. Depends on what your used to I guess but I'm quite impressed with ours. Only thing that bugs me is it doesn't like going back to 1st when still moving slowly but other than that is a great shifter.
This is the same as my LR Focus, can be really difficult to get the box into 1st when still moving slowly. Also, getting my Focus into reverse can be very difficult at times, at first I put it down to a new gearbox, but now after two years, I am thinking its part of its character. I still love the precise nature of the box though, best gearbox I have ever used. Jeremy Clarkson praised the Ford GT40s gearbox / clutch feel for being like a Focus - so that's a pretty good compliment for the cars.

Just adding my experience to yours, CDAA.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
Suth
Suth

Timmeh? you too? Have had that same problem with my LR zetec. Just does not want to engage first wen going very slow. I know you drive a (very) sweet CL are the boxes/clutches different from the 1.8 to the 2? I also put it down to one of my cars idiosynchrosies.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes the boot issue is bumper related i think, Our rear bumper is higher on one side then the other...

70% happy with the car but would never buy one again, shoulda bought a runout BA SR for not much more.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Yes the boot issue is bumper related i think, Our rear bumper is higher on one side then the other...

70% happy with the car but would never buy one again, shoulda bought a runout BA SR for not much more.
Small issues like those described (bumper mis alignment, power steering pump/hose issues) can sometimes be associated with the model being brand new and the factory still working with some of the manufacturing idiosyncracies (is that how you spell it?)....nearly all brand new models will experience some of these issues.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suth
Timmeh? you too? Have had that same problem with my LR zetec. Just does not want to engage first wen going very slow. I know you drive a (very) sweet CL are the boxes/clutches different from the 1.8 to the 2? I also put it down to one of my cars idiosynchrosies.
Thanks for the nice words...

Yeah, I know the gearbox is different (ie no lockout collar for reverse) but not sure about the clutch at all...

It's not a problem, it's just a characteristic of the setup, in my opinion. The rest of the operation is just fantastic.

Tim
Old 05-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na

It isn't fun when you're not completely satisfied with your new car, sorry to hear it. I know the heartaches we had with our BA XR6 though, so I know it can happen to any locally or overseas manufactured product.

Tim
Old 07-10-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I finally have something positive to say, the rubber noise that was ni the car when going over speed bumps as gone since the hot weather has sunk in..

now we only need to get the boot fixed and things should be right.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 12:49 AM   #12
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I agree about 1st, but find that 2nd will do the job at anything above slow walking speed.

Haven't noticed any (LR) reverse difficulty. I think I remember reading that the LS has synchro on reverse - if that makes a difference. Don't know if LR/LS manual gearboxes are the same, but understand that the LS box is also used in the Jaguar X-type.

Being really picky, I reckon 2nd could be a smidge taller - but that's a personal preference.
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post