Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default 3 door Focus.... PLZZZZZZ.. Come on! Astra Coupe Competitor

DAMN! I am seeing soooo many Astra Coupes today! But then again, i think it could be due to the Astra being pretty stylish. Can anyone kinda photoshop a 5 door Ghia into a Coupe? (NOT Just remove the rear doors, but make it look good too LOL)

I reckon that Ford should do a coupe version. Basically a Hard top Convertible... I reckon it would do well. Damn, the Astra Coupes are everywhere in fashion concious Balmain!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)

Last edited by Teki04; 28-09-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Mick K.

How about this...

They exist - just not in Australia.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
How about this...

They exist - just not in Australia.

MK
Note when i say Coupe... NOT hatch.... Remember the previous model had a Coupe Astra, and a Hatch Astra (which we had)... now the Astra is supposedly coming out in Coupe/convertible... i just wondered what a Focus would look as a coupe (not that futuristic one they showed at a motor show)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 29-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
BlackLS

Quick chop:

Its a very bad photochop job, but if you squint enough, it looks pretty neat
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 01:29 AM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
if you squint enough, it looks pretty neat
hahahahhahhahhahah : . Maybe with bigger rims...... Looks like a matchbox. Nice

Old 29-09-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
Mick K.

The current AH Astra "coupe" is a 3 door hatch. There was a very good looking coupe' in the previous Open and Vauxhall Astras in Europe but not here. A coupe has a boot.

So a 3 door hatch Focus is the competitor to what Holden are trying to make everyone believe is an upmarket coupe. Look at the side profile of the Astra "coupe" and look at a LR Focus 3 door - hey - do I drive a Focus "coupe'!

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 01:35 AM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
The current AH Astra "coupe" is a 3 door hatch. There was a very good looking coupe' in the previous Open and Vauxhall Astras in Europe but not here. A coupe has a boot.

So a 3 door hatch Focus is the competitor to what Holden are trying to make everyone believe is an upmarket coupe. Look at the side profile of the Astra "coupe" and look at a LR Focus 3 door - hey - do I drive a Focus "coupe'!

MK
Yea true... i realised that. The older model convertible astra was very much similar to the coupe.... thats what im talking about making... but true, the new Astra "Coupe" is more a hatch. BUT, it is very different to the 5 door, which same goes with the Megane Hatch. Im just saying that the 3 door focus just looks like a 5 door without the doors, but same window profile. Why cant they make something different?

I saw two Astras side by side. a 5 door and 3 door (in balmain.... they almost crashed too! haha). The both have different bumpers, rear lights, rear window, different slant to the roof, and different side profile. The focus however is very much like the 5 door.....

Old 29-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
Forest Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Note when i say Coupe... NOT hatch.... Remember the previous model had a Coupe Astra, and a Hatch Astra (which we had)... now the Astra is supposedly coming out in Coupe/convertible... i just wondered what a Focus would look as a coupe (not that futuristic one they showed at a motor show)
The the previous Astra Coupe is a stunner. I saw an imported Vauxhall Astra Coupe a few years ago. It's designed by Bertone like it's convertible sibling.

The current Astra Coupe is also a very hot looking car although the European model gets a much better looking front bumper and I like the GTC name rather than "Coupe". It is a much better looking car than the current Focus Zetec inside and out. I was set on purchasing it and was waiting for it to come here but when the engine specs were release I was very disappointed being an Astra owner and fan. As it is with only a 1.8 from the old Astra G, it's all style and no substance. This is its weakest link. A 2.2 would have made the decision very easy.

Mind you I reckon the Zetec is still a stunning looking car in its own right which is why I bought one (and still waiting since july19th).

I can't understand Ford. There is a market for premium small cars if you go by how many Golfs and A3's are on the road. The new Focus range is very limited.

Motor Mag reported Ford will not be bringing in the diesel Focus and no word about the 5 pot ST. Holden will be bringing in the 147kw Turbo Astra Coupe/Hatch and it will wear HSV badges. This will have phenomenal flow on effects for the Astra range. Ford needs to bring in the ST to compete with the Astras and Golfs and give the Focus a bit of hot hatch street cred. Its technically super and a stunning looking machine. Ford seems a bit slow probably because they care more about their Falcon business. No doubt new Focus is cannibilising Falcon sales at the moment.

Bring in the ST!!!
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

those first two pics are so bloody ugly..they look even worse from behind!

yeahp wait for ST, if you want a coupe get a sports car not some try hard hatch.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #10
lincoln
Blinded

There's a Focus CC coming. http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery.../focus-cc.html
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

As seen at the 2005 Melbourne Motorshow, the concept itself. MMMmmmm 20 inch chromies!! :

Old 29-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yep... matt now how about a PRODUCTION finished vehicle? doubt those front lights will make it....

Old 30-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #13
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

God I hope it makes it to production without losing too much of its visual impact. Understanable changes would include more traditional headlights and small wheels, other than that though, DONT CHANGE A THING.

I really like the chrome garnishs all over the place, very stylish. The burgundy/cream interior is GORGEOUS. I certainly would love to see that in a Fairmont, too.

I'd certainly consider it over a ST if Ford AU presented us with the choice. Which they wont, cause they're the Falcon company, the morons.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
...they're the Falcon company, the morons.
So you've obviously never heard of Territory... or any of the other award winning cars Ford sells, even though you own one of them... weird.
Old 30-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #15
Forest Bear

Just read the Friday CarsGuide. Ford Australia is bringing the ST to Oz!
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #16
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
As seen at the 2005 Melbourne Motorshow, the concept itself. MMMmmmm 20 inch chromies!! :

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]/IMG]

[IM[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
21st century hairdressers car, the new capri?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
So you've obviously never heard of Territory... or any of the other award winning cars Ford sells, even though you own one of them... weird.
Come on, Matt, there's little difference between calling it the Falcon company and the Falcon/Territory company. They focus on their local production arm of the company, it's what they do. I hope they're doing better at it and someone I know is joining Ford soon to address this small car issue. We all love the products, they are brilliant, but whether Ford AU has the capability of selling them in profitable numbers is another matter.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
The Territory is a derivative of the Falcon, hence it isnt openly shunned by the company. The ute also enjoys such favouratism.

The Focus TV campaign has pretty much halted already, and the Fiesta was never given a chance, with it's massive 23 minute advertising blitz upon launch. F series get no big media exposure whatsoever, and sell despite the disinterest Ford AU displays in it. Ford is as bored of the Courier as we are.

Enthusiasts and people who get lost on the way to the Toyota dealerships are all that keeps Ford afloat.

Ford IS the Falcon company, admit it.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
The Territory is a derivative of the Falcon, hence it isnt openly shunned by the company. The ute also enjoys such favouratism.

The Focus TV campaign has pretty much halted already, and the Fiesta was never given a chance, with it's massive 23 minute advertising blitz upon launch. F series get no big media exposure whatsoever, and sell despite the disinterest Ford AU displays in it. Ford is as bored of the Courier as we are.

Enthusiasts and people who get lost on the way to the Toyota dealerships are all that keeps Ford afloat.

Ford IS the Falcon company, admit it.
Hmm half true. Or atleast that the way it used to be. With the market changing the way it is I wouldn't be suprised if Ford steps it up a notch with respect to smaller cars.,

Ford make a crap load more money off a falcon/territory then they do with the imports, so it only makes sense to sell more of these.

Things are changing, but to pigeon hole ford like that is incorrect.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #20
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Hmm half true. Or atleast that the way it used to be. With the market changing the way it is I wouldn't be suprised if Ford steps it up a notch with respect to smaller cars.,

Ford make a crap load more money off a falcon/territory then they do with the imports, so it only makes sense to sell more of these.

Things are changing, but to pigeon hole ford like that is incorrect.
Yep, it will certainly be interesting to see if Ford's attitude to the smaller cars improves with the petrol 'crisis'.