Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
jjj

Default Pod Filter installed on EL Ford Falcon.

Installed a TFI pod filter and steel adaptor to the falcon yesterday. All up it costed $60 from autobarn. Just need to make up a heat shield for it now, when i get some free time.

Had to cut out the plastic cone inside the filter box adaptor so the steel plate adaptor would sit flush. Used some blue gasket sealant to make it air tight. All up took about 15min to fit.

Throttle response now is awesome, induction noise also sounds great.

Cheers Luke.

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
X-Force 2.5in Sports Exhaust
Champion STEEL igntion leads
K&N panel filter, EL GT Snorkel, modified airbox
16in Speedy Holotype-R mags on 225 tyres
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks great

cant wait to get my mpi conversion done so i can do the same thing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
slamd ef wagon

nice u no u didnt have to buy the adaptor as the pod fits straight on if u remove that hose clamp
Old 02-10-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamd ef wagon
nice u no u didnt have to buy the adaptor as the pod fits straight on if u remove that hose clamp

Yeah i knew that, i just think it looks alot more professional with a steel adaptor then just attached to the plastic intake pipe. my opinion anyway...

cheers Luke.

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
335JET
@jas_23_

thinking to do the same too mine, will the pod filter sit inside the standard filter box.
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Why would you put a pod inside the factory airbox?
is it cheaper than a pannel filter?
I thought it was a automatic defect if caught with just a pod?
is there better performance with a pod in the air box rather than the pannel?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #7
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammut351
thinking to do the same too mine, will the pod filter sit inside the standard filter box.

yeah, all you need to do is get about 4in flexi hose and attach it to the 3in adaptor inside the box then attach the pod. It will not fit with the straight steel adapter, (i tried).

I am thinking of getting some of that heat shield blanket stuff and inclose the area and let the bonnet heat shield close off the top with the snorkel feeding cold air into the area. (an idea i have seen on skylines and vl's)

Cheers luke

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
Old 02-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
Why would you put a pod inside the factory airbox?
is it cheaper than a pannel filter?
I thought it was a automatic defect if caught with just a pod?
is there better performance with a pod in the air box rather than the pannel?
1. You'd put the pod in the airbox so that it only breathed in cold air from outside of the engine bay and not the hot air that sorrounds the engine under the bonnet. Especially in El/Ef where there is an external pipe into the box from the frint grille.

2. Depends on the manafacturer of the pod... cheap ones start at 30 or 40 bucks for a pod, K&N and redline are around 130 and 70 resectively, pannel filter, generic anywhere between 30 and 50 bucks depending who you get it from, could be more if you go through ford or your mechanic, not sure and dont really want to know lol, for a k&n pannel i think its around 70 for a washable pannel for an El/Ef, though someone may wanna correct me cause i'm not 100% sure

3. Vicroads states you can have one engine modification to the air fuel system, a pod fileter is acceptable if no other mods hve been done, after market or different turbo, CAI etc etc... of course if the pods in the airbox though the coppers aren't going to see it are they!!!

4. Depends who you ask, I personally am a pod fan... however a lot of people on here believe a pannel filter of good quality saves you some money and gives the same performance, and they're prety much right, its just how much the airflow is restricted to the engine, and if the pod filter allows the same as a panel filter, well they're going to do the same job
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
KUZMIN
Ruski

I feel like a noob for asking this...but what do POD filters do?
I thought they were just there to look 'trendy' like a skyline

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------

1997 Nissan Maxima 3.0 S. Touring-very quick!
KUZMIN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiS
1. You'd put the pod in the airbox so that it only breathed in cold air from outside of the engine bay and not the hot air that sorrounds the engine under the bonnet. Especially in El/Ef where there is an external pipe into the box from the frint grille.

2. Depends on the manafacturer of the pod... cheap ones start at 30 or 40 bucks for a pod, K&N and redline are around 130 and 70 resectively, pannel filter, generic anywhere between 30 and 50 bucks depending who you get it from, could be more if you go through ford or your mechanic, not sure and dont really want to know lol, for a k&n pannel i think its around 70 for a washable pannel for an El/Ef, though someone may wanna correct me cause i'm not 100% sure

3. Vicroads states you can have one engine modification to the air fuel system, a pod fileter is acceptable if no other mods hve been done, after market or different turbo, CAI etc etc... of course if the pods in the airbox though the coppers aren't going to see it are they!!!

4. Depends who you ask, I personally am a pod fan... however a lot of people on here believe a pannel filter of good quality saves you some money and gives the same performance, and they're prety much right, its just how much the airflow is restricted to the engine, and if the pod filter allows the same as a panel filter, well they're going to do the same job

I Can understand the whole keeping the hot air away from the pod but i guess my thoughts were "why bother" : (unless overall power gains) mounting a pod in the box when you can fit a pannel filter?

I have a K&N Pannel in the standard box setup and it suits the QLD laws as the police have been known to defect hundereds of cars for pod filters. so i guess it comes down to a preference if you like pods or pannels.

If I ever get pulled over and Mr Plod opens my bonnet he will see some extractors and a custom 3" pipe from the air box to the throttle body with a flex joint which keeps those defect stickers away.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
I Can understand the whole keeping the hot air away from the pod but i guess my thoughts were "why bother" : (unless overall power gains) mounting a pod in the box when you can fit a pannel filter?

I have a K&N Pannel in the standard box setup and it suits the QLD laws as the police have been known to defect hundereds of cars for pod filters. so i guess it comes down to a preference if you like pods or pannels.

If I ever get pulled over and Mr Plod opens my bonnet he will see some extractors and a custom 3" pipe from the air box to the throttle body with a flex joint which keeps those defect stickers away.

If you want to know the difference, put your car in 1st gear on the auto and start punching the pedal up and down with both k&n filter and rampod.

There is a huge difference. I use to run an xr8 snorkel with k&n panel filter and it never had the throttle response or punch of the mark compared with the pod filter in 1st gear on the auto.

It snaps your neck back now. I had a mate in the car tonight holding it in first, taking it too 2500rpm backing off then punching it again and he couldn't beleive the response in acceleration.

Cheers Luke.

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat

Last edited by jjj; 02-10-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:07 AM   #12
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_GT
I feel like a noob for asking this...but what do POD filters do?
I thought they were just there to look 'trendy' like a skyline
Pod filters on stock to modified Falcons wont do anything at all. This has been tested so many times its not funny, last club dyno day most cars were tested with the standard filter in place and then the filter assembly completely removed (which obviously flows even more than a pod), and consistantly the only difference was in the top end and even then it was 2-3kw on the majority of falcons (from 100-160rwkw). It has also been tested by a number of ford performance workshops and again found that below around 180rwkw there is no benefit from upgrading the standard airbox/panel setup.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #13
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Pod filters on stock to modified Falcons wont do anything at all. This has been tested so many times its not funny, last club dyno day most cars were tested with the standard filter in place and then the filter assembly completely removed (which obviously flows even more than a pod), and consistantly the only difference was in the top end and even then it was 2-3kw on the majority of falcons (from 100-160rwkw). It has also been tested by a number of ford performance workshops and again found that below around 180rwkw there is no benefit from upgrading the standard airbox/panel setup.
So to the point i was making that mounting a pod inside the factory box is giving no more power against a pannel..........just more time to install it.

hence why bother....... you better off spending the time polishing the car for better areo dynamics..................lol
Old 03-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
EFFalcon
Last warning

because sometimes you'll find the pod exposed to the hot engine bay temps will actually reduce performance.
i know it did in my car so mines now in a box.
the hot air killed low down responce.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #15
gozza

i modded the original box to fit a pod
plus a pipe for cold air danglin in my wheel arch
noticed the difference before th cold air(heat sheilded better)
the cold airs good and i'm yet to fit up an xh snorkel
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #16
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
because sometimes you'll find the pod exposed to the hot engine bay temps will actually reduce performance.
i know it did in my car so mines now in a box.
the hot air killed low down responce.
^^^ What he said... you may not see any real benefit with the pod in the box, but you may notice some lag down low if it isn't shielded like it is in the box!
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #17
uglybob
XRWANAB

i've got a seq scoop, with custom airbox lid & pod to go on very soon - in replacement for my K&N panel filter - i'll let people know the differences (if any!) ;)
Old 04-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #18
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

How much do heat shealds cost from say autobarn? I got a BMC pod which cost me $180 which a XH snorkle which cost me $30 in my EDXR6. I have found a very big difference with this setup compared to the stock airfilter however I have been told that I could inhance performance if I blocked out more hotair. Many ppl have told me to buy or 'make' a complete box but I found that pointless with a POD filter as I may as well have got meself a dragon airfilter for $100. You will find PODs have more surface area which draws in more air obvisouly
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #19
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Default Pod or Pannel

If you going to use a pod toss out the standard box and make a heat shield with cold air ducting. its all about flow with in the shielded area.

if your keeping the standard box put a pannel filter in is as it does the exact same job (unless you make it look pretty with clear windows so you can see the POD inside with bright LEDS)

Final thought:

At the end of the day its your choice thats the best thing
Old 05-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #20
jjj

Got to get rid of the pod filter. Rang suncorp today and they said my excess would go up by $400. So the $30 pod will go in the shed for now.

Going to re-use the 3in steel pod adaptor and place it inside the EL lid like on the EF lids with the bellmouth. Autospeed said this design helps to draw more air. Also the diameter of the exit hole will be 3in(75mm) and not the golf ball size 55mm exit hole.

post some pics tonight with the K&N panel filter...

...........................insurance companys suck.............................................

cheers Luke..

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
Old 13-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #21
Rigasno11
Built Ford Tough

heres an idea.
cut a hole through the bottome of the box, and then through the sheet metal underneith. Dump a 75mm/3inch pipe/hose/air conditioning duct from the little vent on the bottom right front bumper.... fun that up and through.... into the box. bolt on the pod. that way the intake has a good amount of cool clean air inside the box ready to go in!

well thats what i';m going to try this weekend.
Rigasno11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigasno11
heres an idea.
cut a hole through the bottome of the box, and then through the sheet metal underneith. Dump a 75mm/3inch pipe/hose/air conditioning duct from the little vent on the bottom right front bumper.... fun that up and through.... into the box. bolt on the pod. that way the intake has a good amount of cool clean air inside the box ready to go in!

Good luck getting past the ABS module down there!

OMG this thread is old!
Old 13-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

lol@$400 excess for a pod!

Nice bit of mining too
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #24
335JET
@jas_23_

yea, id watch out for the ABS module if your car has ABS, dont wanna hit that.
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #25
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

would it be legal to have a pod filter be mounted centerally above the engine, being feed by a scoop if there was a shield of sorts that when the bonnet is closed had the pod sealed in it, with the scoop feeding it
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #26
TUF.EB
Banned

Good stuff man, gotta love the pod filters.
TUF.EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #27
Heffnic
this is true

k&n cant go wrong well worth the money i saw the difference on the dyno i notice the difference but as they say each to there own.
Old 13-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #28
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigasno11
heres an idea.

Wouldnt you get done for cutting a structural part of the car?
Plus it would look shithouse, just make up a custom one...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #29
yahoo189

soooo can a XR8 snorkel fit on an ED falcon straight six?? would it do anything
yahoo189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post