Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
sly
Sly like a G6

Default How big is my cavity?

How deep is the hole behind the blanking panel above the glovebox, ie where the passenger's airbag would be if I had one?

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

got a bit worried with the thread title ...

A4 Paper size...

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

Well it got your attention...

so if I took the panel off I could lay a phone book in there?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 17-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

yep , heaps of room , you could hide heaps .. Phone books , or if your ben cousins , drugs , guns

Old 17-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
that makes 2 of us
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

LOL yeah. Sounds like a good place for a hidden audio head unit then.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 17-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #7
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

you didnt say anything about heat generation , changes the subject , Audio stuff heats up and theres lots of Plastic and Wires behind there ...

Unless its done properly , will turn to tears

Old 17-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Yeah was going to get a pro to look at it. Just didn't want to waste his/my time & the sacrificial clips if there was only 50mm depth there. I should be able to organise someone who can heatshield / line / trim / whatever and make a gauge panel to fit where the audio is now.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 18-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
LOL yeah. Sounds like a good place for a hidden audio head unit then.
would fit easily but as mentioned heat and wiring will be your biggest issue.
Old 18-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Theres not that much room. There is a big f$%k off anti intrusion bar running through that space.
A head unit might fit, but a CD stacker 95mm high won't.
My panel only just sits on, so i'll go have a look and measure it all up for you

Cheers

Last edited by superroo; 18-10-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: swear filter
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Well here is that space. The bottom bar is the anti intrusion bar. The top one, is the air duct to the side vents:

Measurements:
Distance between the bolts - 240mm
Distance to bottom bar from clips - 90mm
Distance to top bar from clips - 90mm (didn't write it down however it was similar to the bottom)

And for your original question/idea, no it won't fit

I knew this was the case because i was going to mount a cd changer in there, untill i found it won't fit without modification.
Which you don't want to cut into the intrusion bar, and if you cut into the duct, your gonna choke the flow of air to the vent.
So, not much room at all.

Cheers
Old 18-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
sly
Sly like a G6

That's a single DIN head unit? Will have to check dimensions on mine, it's described as a "compact CD/tuner" but I doubt it's any smaller than that. Might have to go under seat.

But wow, that's the best response I've had yet to any question. Thanks heaps!!!!

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 18-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR

A4 Paper size...
Yeah me2 I oppened the thread with one eye shut and the other half open, but curosity got the better of me. : (I thought he wanted a quote for a filling)

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno how big your cavity is, but if you can fit in more than 4 fingers, a wrist watch and BMX bike, then I'd say that it's quite big :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
sly
Sly like a G6

What, no coke bottle?

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 18-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #16
superroo

Yup single din, pioneer 7750 unit from 2 years ago.

Meh, response was easy. I broke the clips when i dyed the dash and i just sit the panel in there and it seams fine. So that's easy to pull out. Head unit is easy to get out if you have the right tools and know the right way. That's how i installed it.

Cheers
Old 19-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
What, no coke bottle?
Half Full or Half empty? :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #18
5L
[ 5L ]

neither shook up so its ready to blow its top hahaha,

awesome response, got pics and everything.

the dash spear painted is something i never thought of, how easy is it to pull off if you have an airbag.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #19
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I dunno how big your cavity is, but if you can fit in more than 4 fingers, a wrist watch and BMX bike, then I'd say that it's quite big :
hahahahaha your filthy!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #20
superroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
the dash spear painted is something i never thought of, how easy is it to pull off if you have an airbag.
Yup dash spear has been painted in galaxy blue(car colour) using holts pressure packs, and fair few other interior bits and peices.
But to get to it you need to take the airbag/cover out so you need to sacrifce the clips. Once thats done, there are four bolts on the underside that needs to be undone then it comes off. I haven't been bothered to go and get the break-once clips again as since it's just a cover it sits in there fine. If i had an airbag i'd get the clips again.

Cheers
Old 19-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #21
5L
[ 5L ]

so how do i take the cover off, will it affect my airbag?
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #22
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just cut a hole big enough for the rear of the unit in the air duct, there solves ur space problem and ur heat problems.
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about fitting a airbag ??
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #24
superroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
so how do i take the cover off, will it affect my airbag?
If you have an airbag, i would reckonmend replacing the clips. They are break once clips, and they cannot be reused.
To do this you will need to go to ford and get them. I have been lead to believe that they are not much (no more than $5 each). If you don't have an airbag, then you can just sit the cover back in place.

To remove, you need to get a mid sized screw driver and wrap the blade in a cloth so that the dash and/or cover is not damaged. Then, wedge the screw driver inbetween the cover and the dash at them bottom in one corner.
Pry upwards. This may take some force, but you will know when the clips break. Repeat for the other bottom corner. Once the two bottom clips have been broken, then pry the cover upwards more so to break the top clips.
Once all four clips are broken, withdraw the cover from the dash and remove the wiring harness behind (airbag or not, a wirring harness clips to the cover).

I've got a greogories manual around here somewhere if you want the way that they say to do it.

Cheers