Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FWD in Large cars?

Read some really strange comments lately, regarding the benefits of FWD over RWD.
Can someone knowledgeable explain what these benefits are, without resorting to clichés, urban myths, or gobbledegook, and without foaming at the mouth and insulting all RWD drivers.

I accept that in many ordinary circumstances a well-designed FWD is just as effective as RWD, especially with traction control, power steering etc, but I am still left asking why?
Yes, many European makers who have been doing FWD for 50 years are still streets ahead of Falcons in terms of handling, but I don’t see that as being due to FWD.

My XR4 is FWD, I love it to bits, and it works well, but turn off the DSC and it will spin it’s wheels of the line and be completely uncontrollable.

In a compact 4cyl, FWD saves weight and space, as it makes for a very compact package up front, and obviously there’s no tunnel or humps. Compare something like a Yaris to a 1970’s Corolla, and you can see just how far FWD packaging has come.
But as far as I can see, that is it’s only advantage? There are still many inherent obstacles to overcome, and I just don’t see the need for it in big cars.
Jump into a Camry/Aurion and you’ve still got a massive centre consul, so I’m not sure how much space you really gain in the front.
The majority of cars are already unbalanced to the front, and FWD simply exacerbates that, especially when the engine is pushed out in front of the front wheels. Contrary to what some believe, when you accelerate hard, most of the mass of the car is born by the back wheels. Which is why every race car, drag car, speedway car, etc is RWD. (Again, I accept that this is probably irrelevant for 90% of applications, I’m just making a point.)

I imagine that some weight is saved, even in a large car, by eliminating the tailshaft, and combining the gearbox and diff. Perhaps it also enables them to share components and development with their smaller stablemates?
Is it perhaps easier to assemble FWD?

Is it perhaps telling that the Americans (whose idea of a sports car is a Lounge Room powered by a 500ci V8) happily accept FWD for their large cars, but in Europe most of the large saloons are still RWD?