Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 16-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
fiestachick
Starter Motor

Wink Fiesta XR4 Disaster!!

Hi!!!

Still getting to grips with 'The Forum'...think I'm sending private messages instead of straight up 'replies'...aaaaanyway.

I need some insight and advice from people on my wavelength!! Here goes.

Yesterday I posted my first ever thread saying how excited I am about the arrival of my new Fiesta XR4 in 2 weeks....well today I got a call saying that the colour I chose wasn't available...DEPRESSING!!

Now here's my dilemma...I want an XR4 without the stripes...I just want something a little more understated, so i can add some subtle touches to make it stand out (e.g clear rear lights). XR4's without stripes are not easy to get hold of (and the stripes cant be taken off after a certain amount of time without damaging the paint...apparently) I originally wanted Performance Blue...can't get it, so i then chose white...can't get that either as of today.

Here's my question to you Ford Comrades...Am I being too conservative?? Should I just get one with stripes and be done with it?? They look great i know, but I've never had anything quite so bold on a car...and I am in my late 30's, so would I look a bit odd in a rallied-up pocket rocket?? Out of the colours with stripes which looks the best??

Questions questions from Confused Fiestachick :

fiestachick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No stripes.
Real sleeper without.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
fiestachick
Starter Motor

So it's boring without stripes yeh?
Old 16-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

My honest option is a White/No stripes. (I have a White/Blue). But every colour in the range looks great with or without. Did the dealer say not available now or it can be ordered in??
Old 16-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the Performance Blue. I have this on my XR5. Best colour

Dealers can often swap cars around. Theres 47 new XR4's on Car Sales. A few white and a few Blue. If you haven't paid the deposit, contact a few of these other dealers to see what they have in stock.

Good luck.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
fiestachick
Starter Motor

There are none available in white or blue without stripes (blue was my first choice...I agree it's awesome). The dealer I'm going through is giving me a really good deal so I'm kinda tied to him really. If I order one from the factory, it's 12 weeks, plus I lose on my trade-in, so it's a bit tricky.

I love the XR5....

I was also looking at the Focus TDCI, a bit tame looking but such a good engine for the money.
Old 16-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Performance Blue! *high five*

One day I'd love to own an XR4 and 5, both in Blue with or without stripes =]

That's about 3 months, I'd say it's worth it, if you've got a good deal.
Old 17-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Jess85

my bfs work has a performance blue, but its got the stripes.

also, i didnt realise you were getting xr4- if you want my clear tail lights you may need to change bulb colours or something as they are made for WP which only has 1 reverse light, whereas xr4 has reverse lights on both sides..maybe someone on here could suggest something?
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Just get any colour and get the stripes removed. No big hassle. Ford could do it for you. Or get a couple of heat guns and some friends to help. Heat up the vinyl and peel it off. Better off getting ford to do it !!!
With the tail lights, you could just have one of the reverse lights to be red. Wouldn't make too much difference I wouldn't think, assuming the plugs are the same on both cars.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

imo an xr4 without stripes has a lot more class than ones with the stripes. less of an attention seeking car. plus, as you said, very rare to have an xr4 without stripes. so i say no stripes :]

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really wouldn't be worried about taking the stripes off one. We have done it for a few customers and there has been no problems. I don't know why Ford just didn't bring them in without stripes and leave them as a dealer fit option. You can buy them from parts believe it or not. Not many dealers ordered without stripes which I don't get, I would order mine without a fair bit.
Old 17-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestachick
They look great i know, but I've never had anything quite so bold on a car...and I am in my late 30's, so would I look a bit odd in a rallied-up pocket rocket?? Out of the colours with stripes which looks the best??
"Late 30's" ... don't worry about that, I'm 42 and have a bright red one with the white stripes on it!

There's also a few guys in the UK that are well into their 50's, they've got full stripes on their's as well.

Personally I would go for the colour you've got your heart set on, don't worry too much about the stripes being on the car, from what I understand they come off pretty easily, if your worried about taking them off yourself just get a professional to do the job.

For what it's worth if I had any other colour than Red I wouldn't have stripes on either, they look much classier imo without them, it's only that in my opinion the Red needs the stripes somehow otherwise it just looks too bland, that's why I keep mine on.

Black, Silver or White look fantastic without the stripes, but then we all like different things and have different opinions, go for the colour you want I say otherwise you might regret it in the long run.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Just go for ths stripes, they really suit the car and as the guys say, you can certainly take them off at a later date, it shouldn't be too much trouble to polish away any marks on the paint from the glue.
Old 17-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

Someone tell me if i am wrong, but i read somewhere that the stripes on the performance blue and white XR4 are painted stripes. while the stripes on the other colours vinyl decals.
Old 17-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

No they're all vinyl.
Old 17-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
mowog
Discovery 4

I ordered my white XR4 san's stripes. There was a car on a boat with my name on it without stripes. Click the link to see the result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/2...n/set-1254474/
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

nice caravan...

Fiestachick.

If you cant get either than without stripes then get the one color you wan with stripes.

this bull crap they tell you about not beeing able to remove is rubbish.

here are 2 pictures of when i had stripes on my car. i had them on for a year then i took them off. do you see any damage or fade? Nope. and all i did is just peel them off then wash it.

So at the end of the day, if you can get the one with stripes at the same price as the one without stripes then get it and peel the stripes off. if youve ordered a white with no stripes and they all of a sudden say not possible then they should be able to do you a favour and give you one with stripes at no extra cost. or the other option say to them tough, when you get the white with blue peel the stripes off cause its not what i ordered.

And here is one with no stripes to make you want.

LONG LIVE BLACK PANTHER :'(

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

No you didnt. I recall when you took urs off there was still bits left as you just ripped them off with no prep. Ive got a pic somewhere.....

But yea if you ordered no stripes then they should give you no stripes.
Old 17-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
No you didnt. I recall when you took urs off there was still bits left as you just ripped them off with no prep. Ive got a pic somewhere.....

But yea if you ordered no stripes then they should give you no stripes.
ahuh. that was left over glue that i washed and wax and polished off. there was no damage to the paint nor any paint fade!

Old 17-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #20
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
ahuh. that was left over glue that i washed and wax and polished off. there was no damage to the paint nor any paint fade!
Yeah no damage to the paint or fading, but half ar$e job. :
Old 17-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If there's none without stripes, they'll have to either give you the option of cancelling the deal, or give you one with stripes and remove them. Depending on the price you paid, they may then tell you it costs less.

Unfortunately they're under no obligation to take them off for free and supply you a stripeless car.
Old 17-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #22
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Yeah no damage to the paint or fading, but half ar$e job. :
as opposed to no dedication and have a part sitting there for 6months waiting to be installed????

or is it like the half assed job of ordering the wrong leather gaiter and claiming its the FORD one?? or the CORRECT one for the car...

Old 17-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #23
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Just don't buy a Colorado Red with stripes and take them off, I suspect there would be noticeable fade there. Gloss reds are shocking for fade.
Old 19-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #24
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Welcome to the forums!

I have Sea grey with white Stripes. I made the dealer go looking for one- he tried to sell me other colours.
You will get all different opinions, coz' what might blow my hair back doesn't do it for someone else. I'm a fan of the stripes, but that's just me. What I can tell you is:

1. Removal of stripes is easy if done properly/carefully. They are all vinyl and many have removed them with no issues.
2. Stick to your first colour choice. You are paying the $$ for this, so it should be what you want
3. As a mid 30's female I say to hell with the "do i look like a goose" theory. If nothing else, it shocks the bejeezus out of a few people when they see me driving it. There's a guy two doors down from my work that nearly ran off the road when he was trying to close his mouth after realising i was the driver.
4. You can always buy one with stripes, give it a few weeks, and if you don't like the stripes, whip 'em off.
5. Congratulations on your excellent taste in cars.... ;)

Cheers,

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #25
JayD

I reckon I'd get one with stripes and see how it grows on me, and take them off later if I didn't like them. In saying that I'd definately get the stripes, as I reckon they make the car.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #26
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I prefer the non striped version, Sea Grey or White.

Just my personal opinion though.

Get what you want and dont let anyone here, or the dealers persuade you otherwise.
Old 21-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #27
barneyxr4
Starter Motor

i just hit 30, i've got a blue with stripes, i gotta say after a good clean and polish comes up the goods!!
Two points for your thinking....
1.get a good window tint not some cheapo stuff and as dark as you can as the a/c is not the best but combined with a good quality tint works well.
2.clear tailights...there are some around but dont think there of real great quality yet...i'm waiting surely someone will bring out full replacement complete led tail lights for the xr4 sooooon

good luck with the car, and get the colour you want not what the sales dudes wants you to buy to make it easy for him!
barneyxr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #28
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

here is a 2007 performance blue for sale without stripes.
http://www.jayellford.com.au/used_ca...il.asp?ID=1504
Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #29
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Hey photn, did you use a heat gun when removing your stripes? Or any other method of heating before removal?

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #30
xr4racer

Just park it in the sun for a while (go on a holiday in Melbourne) then pull them off - easy as.

Mine came off when I pressure washed it ?

Mike
www.ttcracing.com
xr4racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post