Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Cleaning the au plastic fuel tank?

i am planning on pulling the fuel tank out guys.I can remove it in 15 minutes.The ony thing I am not sure of is how to clean it out when its out.Do we hose it inside then turn it upside down?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
redef

use a high pressure washer and dry with compressed air or rag and time. just make sure its dry. why are u cleaning it???. you checking for lost kw,s hehe
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

My killowatts are ok but I have an intermittent problem./I have a mystery lean misfire on takeoff since the walbro went in. I cant race the car until this is sorted.it kills my takeoff. I removed the pump cleaned the filter and positioned it closer to the bottom of the fuel tank. It went really well for 1 week then it started to splutter occassionally.Around corners it hestates many times. I filled up with fuel and the problem came and went. I am suspecting gunk blocking the pumps filter. The only other problem may be the pump itself. Will get to the bottom of this asap.I want to race!!

I had the tune refined last week and the problem again dissappeared.It was good for a while.Then when I filled up with fuel it went bad again? :

When it does runs properly it flies .

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
redef

have you checked fuel pressure. u sure its fuel related?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

It is a lean misfire.Popping back via throttle body.Other times it hesitates exactly like fuel starvation. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail.Unfortunately cant see it from drivers seat.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
redef

it wont hurt to do it anyway thats 1 less thing it could be. if its not fixed dyno fuel pressure gauge and scope test.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
LOWAU

Is your battery/alternator in good condition? aftermarket fuel pumps can suck a bit of amps.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

It actually goes very well once the intial stumble is over like nothing is wrong.In saying that I am going to be check the earth to the pump and all connections. As I mentioned before...it doesnt happen all of the time.Today I dumped 1.5 litres of metho in the tank and the problem had become worse than ever. It splutters most of the time now. The funny thing is that it seem to not do it after being staionery for an hour or so. This sort of makes me believe more that there is rubbish in the tank .

Old 05-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

I got a burst of inspiration this afternoon.Pulled the tank down flushed it with water.Sand came out.The fuel filter on the pump was dirty so I cleaned it with throttle body cleaner. Put 2 litres of fuel in and it went very well.As soon as I went to the servo and filled up the signs are back again. I changed the main fuel filter last week and it was filthy.Chances are that the new one may be clogged.I guess it it wont hurt to change it again incase it was reblocked. If this doesnt work I have a bosch 040 on standby.It seems left turns make it splutter nearly every time?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

How much sand came out ... maybe the entire fuel line(s) need cleaning out as well ... and injectors as well.

Wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter again ... especially if you had sand in your tank.

And they say LPG is a dirty fuel ... petrol must be disgusting nowadays.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post