Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
JL
Ford Focus RS & FG F6

Default Extractor Fitment

Got my Lukey exhuast fitted to the AUII I purchased from the last group buy. Sounds real nice, but haven't got my extractors fitted yet because it needs a bit of mucking around with welding the flanges to the cat.

Now, I went to the local exhuast place to ask them how much would it be to fit the extractors on to match the existing cat. They turned around and said that it can not be done, I will need to purchase a new cat so they can weld the matching flange to the extractors (I have the gasket & flange to fir extractors). This will cost around $300 for the cat and about $150 for labour.

I have read everywhere on here about the AUII cat is sufficient so no need to go for a new cat. Plus the cat is a low k cat anyways... I suggested that they could just take a short length of pipe and weld that flange on and then weld it to the cat... The guy told me no, its not possible...

So can someone tell me, where can I go around the Bankstown area to get my extractors fitted without having to buy a new cat. I mean i'm budgeting $150 for the fitting with a set of nice twin tips as well.

JL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

they are being lazy. This is the lazy shops way of saying i am no good at my job so if it's not a bolt on i am stuffed. Go to another muffler shp one with a welder!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

yeah i agree with jonbays, mate they're just trying to make you buy more stuff and like jonbays said they're just lazy people who can't do there job good.
AU3 HERROD XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Hahahaha.

Thats BS if ever ive heard it. Cant be done indeed.

Find a new store who is capable of doing the work.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not sure what brand your extractors are but this is from pacemaker's website in regards to their extractors, basically to show all that's involved
http://www.pacemaker.com.au/FittingI.../PH%204499.pdf
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lazy buggers! It can and has been done by many on this forum many, many times.

They don't deserve your business, and if you tell us who they are, they'll get even less, and might I add, deservedly so! :

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA S PAK
Got my Lukey exhuast fitted to the AUII I purchased from the last group buy. Sounds real nice, but haven't got my extractors fitted yet because it needs a bit of mucking around with welding the flanges to the cat.

Now, I went to the local exhuast place to ask them how much would it be to fit the extractors on to match the existing cat. They turned around and said that it can not be done, I will need to purchase a new cat so they can weld the matching flange to the extractors (I have the gasket & flange to fir extractors). This will cost around $300 for the cat and about $150 for labour.

I have read everywhere on here about the AUII cat is sufficient so no need to go for a new cat. Plus the cat is a low k cat anyways... I suggested that they could just take a short length of pipe and weld that flange on and then weld it to the cat... The guy told me no, its not possible...

So can someone tell me, where can I go around the Bankstown area to get my extractors fitted without having to buy a new cat. I mean i'm budgeting $150 for the fitting with a set of nice twin tips as well.
Try either :

Liverpool Exhausts
http://www.liverpoolexhaust.com.au/livoexh/
Ph : 02 9602 3111

or

Parramatta Exhaust Centre
6 BARNEY STREET, PARRAMATTA 2150
Ph : 02 9630 5611

I have spoken to Parra exhausts and i know they can
Old 23-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
JL
Ford Focus RS & FG F6

Yeh I'll give Liverpool exhaust a go, love the sound of the lukey. It rumbles as its carboned up... And it will only get better with time.
Old 24-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you have LPG and trying to fit extractors .... fair enough ... it's a PITA job ... and I am still trying to figure it out.

But if it's a petrol model ... any exhaust shop should be able to do it.
Definitely try Liverpool exhaust (just off Moorebank Ave) ... around the corner from AllSprings
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If you have LPG and trying to fit extractors .... fair enough ... it's a PITA job ... and I am still trying to figure it out.
i have a factory egas au and i have the ph4499's.. they weren't a PITA at all. easy bolt on. but i am taking it that your local government dont allow it. the police aren't mechanics , they dont know what a gas converter looks like, just tell them its a radiator bypass to help your engine warm up quicker. hahaha

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:41 AM   #11
JL
Ford Focus RS & FG F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

But if it's a petrol model ... any exhaust shop should be able to do it.
Definitely try Liverpool exhaust (just off Moorebank Ave) ... around the corner from AllSprings

Actually its running straight gas, using Impco system. The lukey extractors will just clear the heat shield of the converter. I can get the heat shield to bend more towards the converter for more clearance with extractors. I mean the only drama is that it's slightly tight but not impossible to fit.

If Liverpool won't touch it then I'm going to try Joe @ Crescent Motorsport.
Old 25-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #12
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got mine fitted from the group buy, cost $200 for V8
i asked them exactally wat u did and got the answer " NO WORRIES, TO EASY", they used existing cats and it looks and goes great.
take ur cash somewhere else
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #13
XEESP_351

i have lukey headers on the misssus xr6 all they had to do was weld 3 inch collector flange to original cat.. easy as for good exhaust fitter..
XEESP_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

In NSW you must have a minimum of 150mm clearance between the exhaust heatshield and the converter (which is about what the "factory" distance is) ... this is needed to "pass" your pink slip every year ... and seeing as extra things are checked in the LPG pink slip and hence a higher price as well ... it will be picked up.

I am going to go to a wrecker and pick up another converter bracket ... and going to look at rigging up something to move the converter forward using the extra bracket. It's a case when I get some time to have a go at it ... in the meantime .... the extractors sit in the garage.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post