Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wanting an AU

i was considering an AU for my first car but i got an eb v8 instead (im not complaining though) and im definitly wanting an AU for my second car. It wont be for another 2 years though but i have got some suggestion because honestly stock AU are not the prettiest things, nor are stock eb's lol.

Currently we have an series II au, a ba (on gas) and my eb. Out off all the cars the au has the best handling, feels like it has more power than my 8........sigh and we havnt had any problems with it since we have had it. Only down side is we bought it for 21 thousand with xr mags and now its only worth 9 thousand : .

So considering the series 3 ts50 is my favorite car of all time why not get an au with that bodykit?. my only problem with that is that if i get a ....... lets say a futura and i slap on the te50 bodykit, it would be idealising the car into something its not!.

I want to get an au and im thinking of these choices:

either a te/ts 50 series one or two and putting on a T3 bodykit (better yet buying a T3 but i dont think i could afford : )

or

getting a xr8 (if series 3 i leave it the kit) and putting a t3 kit on but its not a te/ts50 though. Any suggestion on what kits i could put on besides the c2r? if i were to buy a xr8 it would no doubt cost less than a te/ts 50 and i could do some engine mods with the left over money.

or

getting a v8 forte/furura/fairmont/ghia and spend the excess money on engine mods. Stroker kit, cams, highstall (if auto) and headwork or possibly supercharging the car.

what do you think i would be better off doing, keeping in mind im only after the v8's and it has to be black lol.

regards

SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Sapper
Back to the AU

I suppose it depends upon what really floats your boat. Are you after something that's bs fast or more of a complete performance car?

A futura will never be a TS50/XR8, even if it looks like one. Also, the good models tend to have some nice small touches that the more basic models don't. Hence, with some exceptions, they feel like more of a complete package. Personally, i prefer a complete package, so i bought the XR6 VCT ST(not suggesting for you as its a six). But the trade off is i'll never be as quick as someone who put the same money into a more basic/earlier model XR.

If you want something thats a bit more individual/faster, then the lower model v8's would be a better go as you can get them faster for overall less money. Look around though mate cause there are gems out there waiting to be found!

Happy hunting.
Old 23-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Just buy a xr8 and leave it as a xr8 dont go changing it, not really a fan of mock ups
Old 23-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Punctuation and grammar might be a good start SVT8. That aside....

Unless you're going to turn it into a long term project, try and grab something with the Tickford wings on it, as it gives you a better base to play with if you wish to do so.

You might pocket some savings with the XR8 on mods, but the difference between the XR and the T is really chalk and cheese to begin with. You only have to ask 012, Bluedriver, shaynet and jimt3te50 (that's just off the top of my head) who traded their XR's for a T to understand the scale of the differences in these cars.

The T2/AUIII XR8 are now roughly in the same price bracket. I'm not saying the AUIII XR8 is a bad thing - it's still one of the best looking, handling cars that came out of the Ford/Tickford stables, but just putting it all into perspective for you.

I hope I've helped lol.
Old 23-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry about the punctuation and grammar mistakes. Look i would love something with a tickford base but im guessing that parts would be more expensive with tickford cars.

what were the main differences between a series III xr8 and series II te50?
Old 23-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

mate your going to specific with these thing it's only your second car, considering your a V8 man go for a series I or II XR8 of whatever model and make the most of what it can be.
AU3 HERROD XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dude please please do not buy a T1 or T2 and rape it by putting a cheap fibreglass T3 kit on it....
my 2c..
It would be so much worse than putting a T3 kit on a forte.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

A V8 is not always the best choice, especially in AU form. The old Windsors take a fair amount of money to really extract power from.

Id consider one of the VCT's if i were you. Bear in mind this will be your second car, and by the time you want to get it, Petrol may be in the stratisphere in terms of price.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

My AU XR8 doesn't have any problems letting power out, she's juiced with over 300HP, considering i havn't done any major modifications to it
Old 23-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

my preferance for an au would be......series 2 or 3 fairmont ghia V8 as a base......in black....
series 3 XR8 body kit...
some kind of nice rims........current GT 19's would work
brembo's from T series
and whatever engine mods float your boat..

wouldnt be an over the top car to look at, wouldnt be a tryhard t series but would still be an awesome car
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Im not having a go @ V8's, but givin he'll still be a kid (sp tp speak) when he get his second car, i doubt hes going to have an endless supply of mullah to fuel his mod bug.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

well...he already has a V8, so i dont see that it will be an issue......
Old 23-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
Just buy a xr8 and leave it as a xr8 dont go changing it, not really a fan of mock ups
So i'm guessing the "FUTURE MODS" section of your signature is a joke ?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

So i'm guessing the "FUTURE MODS" section of your signature is a joke ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

*Laughing My *** Off* mate he got you there :P:P
Old 23-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
my preferance for an au would be......series 2 or 3 fairmont ghia V8 as a base......in black....
series 3 XR8 body kit...
some kind of nice rims........current GT 19's would work
brembo's from T series
and whatever engine mods float your boat..

wouldnt be an over the top car to look at, wouldnt be a tryhard t series but would still be an awesome car
I like your preferences! I disagree that it wouldn't look over the top. The Ghia's sit nicely on the road, and with a little bit of kit, not overdone though, they look all that much better.

Or there was a supercharged XR8 for sale for ages that the guy couldn't give away. I went looking for the thread for you, but I guess it's finally sold. Lucky bugger whoever bought it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #16
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
A V8 is not always the best choice, especially in AU form. The old Windsors take a fair amount of money to really extract power from.
Smoked...with all due respect, that advice is garbage. The AU V8 is incredibly easy and cheap to get good power from.

And is a VCT 4.0L that much more economical than the 5L?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Smoked...with all due respect, that advice is garbage. The AU V8 is incredibly easy and cheap to get good power from.

And is a VCT 4.0L that much more economical than the 5L?
with 2 people in the car most of the time, as we always make the most of our trips, the EL windsor is averaging 15.1 L/100 around the suburbs, with start stop driving, and a spirited drivin style. On the highway it averages 10.5. In all honesty, the 4.0 EL Ghia i used to own was WORSE, albeit because of a shot muffler & o2 sensors. Even when it was good, the economy was very similar.

Also, i agree V8's aren't that expensive to pull power out of, decent set of extractors and an explorer manifold (for those other than the EL2 xr8) will see substantial gains.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Supercharged XR8 for sale again! Awesome!

GK

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...18&postcount=1

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #19
Abacus
Life's a Gas

T series are becoming very affordable to buy now, but one thing you must remember is the cost and availability of spares, particularly if the car is your daily drive. Insurance is another matter.

When you factor in these practical considerations an XR8 can make more sense. You miss out on the "wow" factor, but you'll probably have a lot more money available to keep it running the way you want it to.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #20
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT8
i was considering an AU for my first car but i got an eb v8 instead (im not complaining though) and im definitly wanting an AU for my second car. It wont be for another 2 years though but i have got some suggestion because honestly stock AU are not the prettiest things, nor are stock eb's lol.

So considering the series 3 ts50 is my favorite car of all time

what do you think i would be better off doing, keeping in mind im only after the v8's and it has to be black lol.

regards
Never sell your dreams, you say you have a few years, keep your eb in good condition, slowly improve it back to original with as little expense as you can ( the art of restoration is achieving the best possible result from the least time / expense )

Save your $ and when you can move up to a T series 1 or 2 selling the eb, continue with the T 1 or 2 as with the eb, sell that and buy a t3.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #21
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz

Also, i agree V8's aren't that expensive to pull power out of, decent set of extractors and an explorer manifold (for those other than the EL2 xr8) will see substantial gains.
and even GT40P heads, (if you have a little mechanical knowledge and can fit them yourself) should only see around $1000....

its only when you go crazy like i am that it becomes expensive lol.....:S
Old 24-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #22
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should of said this before im not actually going to sell the EB, its in top condition and now a days its pretty hard to get a good EB. I will be definitely be working the EB and dont be to suprised if you see it in "street fords" (my initial goal with it). I know it sounds like im aiming to high with both the EB and possibly a T3, but thats what happens when you like your fords.

As for the AU i will get i think i will save up for a t3, as a mock up version is just not the same as the real thing. Also im looking to buy it in a couple of more years so prices will come down a fair bit until then. At the momement im at uni doing a degree and working part time and i think within 2-4 years a T3 aswell as a modded EB is looking quite possible to achieve.

Who knows what il want in the following 2-4 years after i get a T3, possibly a 2000 Cobra R mustang? the possibilities..................

Thanks for the replies everyone
Old 26-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #23
TUF514
Banned

your tlaking about 2 years from now man.

it would be gay to add a ts50 kit to a stock 6 cylinder falcon.....

you could buy a ts50 in 2 years for probably 25 grand.

buy my car now
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #24
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Punctuation and grammar might be a good start
Is this guy for real :

Theres nothing wrong with chucking a kit on a base model car so dont be worried about that. I'd be looking for an xr and throw an XR50 kit on that. As you probably know series 1 have a different bonnet to the series 2 & 3 so take this into account, But have a browse at this site, should help you make up your mind. www.awcinfo.com/

cheers