Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Racing Harness Legalities

Hi Guys.

Did a search on this but it was never really answered.

I'm looking at the possiblity of installing some racing harness' in my car. I've got the proper seats for it (holes in the shoulders).

But what are the legalities/requirements?
  • I'm really only doing it because I like the look of them, not for any other reason.
  • I don't really want to loose my back seats however - is that even possible.
  • I don't plan on taking out the factory seatbelt.
  • I understand the physical differences, but what are the (legal) differences of fitting 3/4/5/6 point (eg. Minimum 4 point?)
Cheers,
Chaser

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Hi Guys.

Did a search on this but it was never really answered.

I'm looking at the possiblity of installing some racing harness' in my car. I've got the proper seats for it (holes in the shoulders).

But what are the legalities/requirements?
  • I'm really only doing it because I like the look of them, not for any other reason.
  • I don't really want to loose my back seats however - is that even possible.
  • I don't plan on taking out the factory seatbelt.
  • I understand the physical differences, but what are the (legal) differences of fitting 3/4/5/6 point (eg. Minimum 4 point?)
Cheers,
Chaser
Hi Chaser,

You'd have to check with the RTA to be certain, but when I asked a few years back about installing 1 (drivers seat only) in my XR8 was told that,
1) It has to be attached to the rear parcel shelf (properly, not using the child restraint holes), it can't be attached to the floor behind driver because in a crash the downward force on your spine will crush it (CAMS regulation as well).
2) The right rear door will have to be welded shut & the car to get an engineering certificate & be re-classified as 4 seat not 5 seat vehicle.
Plus a few other things, those two were the major ones.

I was told this by RTA inspection officers at the Carrington (Newcastle) RTA inspection centre (RTA pits).
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So how does that work with a hatch? (ie - no parcel shelf)

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
So how does that work with a hatch? (ie - no parcel shelf)
Don't know?
Would probably have to be bolted to the boot area floor & the (removable) parcel shelf (if you have one) removed, or mounted to a bar, (like a roll cage pipe) that goes across the top of the back seats between the two rear suspension mounting points.

Take a trip over to Carrington & ask.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Have a look at the Cams website, one of the Schedules of the Cams Manual deals with harnesses and gives details of mounting requirements (also when this is raised people talk about the danger of having a harness without a roll cage - you can't duck out of the way if the roof is crushed in). A hatch will need a bar at/near shoulder level to mount the shoulder straps (not the boot floor for reasons mentioned above) - this is where you will need an expert to look at your car. Normally the mount is part of a roll cage, but theoretically could be done without a whole cage. A roll cage manufacturer is probably the best place to start.

If the harness is removeable, then it shouldn't be an RTA issue should it? You can't have a harness and use the seat behind it regardless of legalities.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
XRQTR
TBA Customs

The easiest way would be to install a proper 4 point cage fitted, as stated not wise without a cage, and have the mount point as part of the cage, keep in mind 4 point cages are legal for road use and most good companies give an engineers certification in case you need it.

All harnesses are removable anyway so you could fit it when you need it only on the track and therefore negate any need to have it engineered for street use as you will remove it before heading back out on the street.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

RTA requirement that the harness must need a tool to be removed not the clip inn type the bloke to talk to in newcastle is Athol Mullen he is an approved RTA engineer for body and suspension incl. Rollcages and harnesses.

Cheers
Steve

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post