Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-09-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
paulaus

Default au cluster problem

I have an AU111 2002 model. My speedo cluster had a funny problem .The temp, fuel and radiator lights stayed on. Also the speedo ,fuel and temp gauges wouldnt work and the crystal display was all dis jointed and unreadable. Took it to ford and they said cluster was stuffed and a new one was about $600 . So i got one from the wreckers for $165 and it lasted 3 weeks before doing exactly the same thing. Does anyone have any help on what to do next Thanks Paul_____

paulaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just at a guess , it definatelly sounds like something is frying your speedo . Have you checked all the fuses in your car to make sure the previous owned hasn't replaced a fuse with a larger rating ? .... it almost sounds like a current too high is getting to the speedo cluster ( for what reason i dont know ?) , but if the correct fuses are in your car then you shouldn't have that happening / unless ...
maybe the problem is after the fuses ? ... has the car had aftermarket spotlights or driving lights wired in ? , if so where have they been wired into ? / tapped in behind the dash without a relay setup ? etc etc .
I'de be checking for all aftermarket electrical things like that after checking all the fuses. Gl.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
paulaus

Thanks for reply , just got a replacement from the wreckers. Put it in and already the speedo stuck on 20km and the tacho on 1000 rpm. I turned car off and it works fine now, so i took it out and will use the stuffed cluster until i can solve whats causing it. Nothing after market has been fitted so i scratch my head.
paulaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Some dodgy bros wiring in this car probably for a sound system or alarm or other accessory which has been fitted by someone else before you bought the car maybe.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Sunny McGuyver
Starter Motor

Unhappy

Paulaus,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

Iv'e just started to have the same problems. Tacho on 3,000rpm, speedo on 40km/h and everything else fried. Second dash now doing the same.

My first symptoms were misfire under acceleration. More like very short cutting out. Then fried instrument clusters.

Had the car for 3 years and running perfectly until then. (Thanks Henry)

2000 AUII Forte Wagon 160k's

Sunny...
Sunny McGuyver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Maybe you have an ECU/BEM issue.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
Sunny McGuyver
Starter Motor

Thanks Mechan1k.

I have a couple of AUII's so I might start swaping some bits (and see just how many clusters I can burn through).

Regards....
Old 15-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have a spare AUII high-series BEM (Pink colour) sitting at home. If anyone is interested.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Silly question but did you do a full ECU reset? Disconnect the battery turn the ign on and hit the brake pedal (gets rid of risidual stored power). To be on safe side leave an hour. Put cluster in connect battery and turn ign on and the cluster will do a self test and come up with a symbol. After this turn ign off again and remove key then reinsert and start car and go through normal idle learning process. Computers are funny and can do really spastic things so give it a try you got nothing to lose.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Sunny McGuyver
Starter Motor

Thanks Howesy. I've pulled the battery, flicked lights on, left overnight and reinstalled third cluster. Cluster does reset.
Problem seems to be electrical - either +'ve side or earth. Car misses under heavy acceleration - not related to high revs though. I'm going to borrow a logging ocilliscopr from work and trace about a dozen electrical paths at once. I'll hook up the high tension leads too, just for the fun of it.
Old 17-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
Sunny McGuyver
Starter Motor

Mechanik, Are the blue BEM and Pink BEM interchangable?