Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Skaife facing financial ruin and living in a rented flat

Interesting times

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...32-661,00.html

V8 supercars isn't my thing (more into F1) but I am sure ppl will have plenty to say about this here

gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With that much stress no wonder he was off his game. Not a good thing for anyone and not good for motorsport.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

I thought this was a joke when i read it, dunno if im happy or sad...
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally think that is sad but I guess business is exactly that, business.

He is not the first owner of a team to experience hardship and I doubt he will be the last.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thats not a thing any person would like to hear about one of the greats of the sport.
I guess this is what happens though when you trust a man like Walkinshaw.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
sbcb
BA Xr8

Skaifes out of his league against Walkinshaw. Walkinshaw wont even have to chew to swallow his old HRT business back up from Skaifey.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Molloy
Captain beat down

Thats bad news to hear, he may be a dick but that would be hard 2 go through

Molloy's Build thread
Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
V8 EF Fairmont

Sad state of affairs, I actually feel sorry for the guy considering how much he has done for the sport. Time for him to jump into a Falcon...
V8 EF Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Default Skaife Facing Financial Ruin

$3.6 million in debt

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...9-1243,00.html
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

This will all go away when he signs the remainder of his stake over to ****ingshaw!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Thumbs down

well i guess Uncle Tom will get what he wants now. Big mistake letting him back in our game.
I actually feel sorry for skaife ............................................
Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Yeah, Tom has never had a good name, and has been bankrupt before. Skaife should have known better than to get in bed with that grub...........
Old 01-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i feel sorry for skaife, but when you sleep with dogs, you get fleas

in my opinion, neither the manufacturer or the guy running the team have any dignity. they will burn anyone to get more money
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #14
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I guess this is what happens though when you trust a man like Walkinshaw.
Destroyer of sports and sportsmen.
Poor Skaife :MrT_anim:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

This will go away when he signs his remaining ownership over to ****ingshaw!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Jeez.. we didn't see this coming.. Walkinshaw was always going to end up owning HRT.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As others have already said, its no bloody wonder he's been off his game this year.....
Walkinshaw's always been a snake....I remember when he was taken to court by the FIA some years back.....the European judge in the case describing him as a "a shady, unreliable and evasive witness, who's business practices left a lot to be desired"
When he got involved in HRT, I always thought it would end in tears...
I feel for Mark, Holden driver or not, he deserves much better than this...... :
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Sad to hear that, as the article says he doesn't deserve that.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Reality is, he was forced into this deal the day he signed on to rescue HRT from the floundering TWR Empire. ****ingshaw would have made sure his interests were protected, and now is strangling anyone who holds them from him!

True HRT Fans should be leaving in droves, to see a team treat their Champions like this. Brock, Lowndes, Murphy and now their savior, Mark Skaife. But instead, like the mindless drones they are...........

Further, ****ingshaw stated Skaife was left in this position because he was let down by a sponsor. Who was it?
Correct in saying that it seems on the outside to have been a fairly poorly run operation, where did all the money go if it wasn't to pay for the costs associated with running the race team?

Mike
Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

This is going to be interesting once its done and dusted, curious how some of the red army react if Skaife is out of the picture entirely........
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #21
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
True HRT Fans should be leaving in droves, to see a team treat their Champions like this. Brock, Lowndes, Murphy and now their savior, Mark Skaife. But instead, like the mindless drones they are...........
the problem is that the true hrt fans (if there are any real ones, as opposed to just following the most popular team) cannot think for themselves and cannot see past the car. they hated skaife when he started, but as soon as he had a red suit, they loved him

holden fans could never comprehend the way craig and skaife have been treated - that would require thinking, and that is beyond most holden people
Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #22
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
This is going to be interesting once its done and dusted, curious how some of the red army react if Skaife is out of the picture entirely........
Not only that but it would be interesting to see how they react to the fact that Walkinshaw essentially caused his demise by calling in the loan. Mark was a always a gentleman of the sport all we have their now is P-rick Smelly so maybe it will go back to HDT (Holden Demolition Team).
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Threads merged.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #24
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Plenty of racers go broke, and he will not be the last of the current guys.

The whole "he bought HRT for $1" was never something I believed anyway.

It is hard not to feel sorry for Skaifey, even if he is a knob, but in reality he was riding a bubble that was never his anyway.

Unlucky is the most positive sentiment from me.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #25
dreadly
Banned

I think its pretty sad considering...he is a tool! but for what he has done for the sport.
And to go from a mansion to a flat? would break a guy as a man, provider and husband and father.
Swing him a falcon for a season.. and see what happens.
Hell even a guest partnership with say lowndes for a bathurst run- with the classic stickers of the Ford guy urinating on the Holden ;) lol
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Unlucky is the most positive sentiment from me.
unless holden help him out, i would say ripped off

how can effectively a paid employee of a corporation go broke. no matter who owns/owned hrt, it is holden's team. do they sit back and watch the men making them millions get thrown to the wolves. do they just hire someone else to shaft the guy that has helped build an empire

hrt were nothing until craig came along. they were the laughing stock of australian touring car racing. sure most of skaife's hrt success was a carry over of what craig and grech etc. had built, but as we have seen with others who have driven an hrt car, that skaife was head and shoulders above all but maybe craig and marcos for a few years. during the early part of this century he reaped the rewards because of it. holden was willing to accept the accolades then, but will they support their star now???? - it is holden after all
Old 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
the problem is that the true hrt fans (if there are any real ones, as opposed to just following the most popular team) cannot think for themselves and cannot see past the car. they hated skaife when he started, but as soon as he had a red suit, they loved him

holden fans could never comprehend the way craig and skaife have been treated - that would require thinking, and that is beyond most holden people
agree with ya there. You'll find most Holden fans will make up some poor excuse and not look out the other eye to see the real picture.

As much as Skaife isnt popular with ford folk, he still doesnt deserve this. I reckon there is more to it than we can see.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #28
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
unless holden help him out, i would say ripped off

how can effectively a paid employee of a corporation go broke. no matter who owns/owned hrt, it is holden's team. do they sit back and watch the men making them millions get thrown to the wolves. do they just hire someone else to shaft the guy that has helped build an empire

hrt were nothing until craig came along. they were the laughing stock of australian touring car racing. sure most of skaife's hrt success was a carry over of what craig and grech etc. had built, but as we have seen with others who have driven an hrt car, that skaife was head and shoulders above all but maybe craig and marcos for a few years. during the early part of this century he reaped the rewards because of it. holden was willing to accept the accolades then, but will they support their star now???? - it is holden after all
No, Unlucky, if not stupid.

Have a look at some of the big names who have retired or died with little or nothing:

Peter Brock,
Dick Johnson,
Glenn Seton,
and now:

Mark Skaife

Then, you have the smart guys with all the money, the Alan Jones, Wayne Gardner, Jim Richards type all have something in common...... They used other peoples money to fund their motorsport. Somebody else owned the team. When the money ran out, so did they.

They ran out of the Supercar Circus.

It's "dog eat dog" out their, trust me, I know.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #29
f6speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96

Further, ****ingshaw stated Skaife was left in this position because he was let down by a sponsor. Who was it?

Mike
Guess who the sponsor is? HSV!. They suppossedly haven't paid there dues for the last 2 years....and you know what the funny think about this is? HSV is owned by Walkinshaw Performance...
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6speedster
Guess who the sponsor is? HSV!. They suppossedly haven't paid there dues for the last 2 years....and you know what the funny think about this is? HSV is owned by Walkinshaw Performance...
Thats very dodgy if this is true. I shake my head

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8