Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
69frd

Default Queensland modifications

Grrrrrr.......

Just got my car defected on the way to work this morning, and to make matters worse I thought I was right. :

Pulled up out of the blue on the M1 at 6.30 in the morning.

Has anyone been through trying to interpret what is correct with QLD exhaust mods?

Specifically I have a coupe and my exhaust dumps past in front of the diff more than 40mm past the last passenger area opening & I thought this was legal.

To quote QLD transport guidelines:
The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.
I have read the Vechile safety & standards reg, but this only seems to relate to vechiles over 4.5GVM????

Anyone else been though this and can provide any guidance? I don't really want to change my exhaust.

Wasn't sure where to post this, so please move if i'm in the wrong place!

69frd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best suggestion I could give you is to go to a reputable exhaust place and get them to check things out.

I don't know if your allowed to still do this but at one time when you got a defect you were allowed to take it to a repairer by driving it there (can't remember if that involved permits or what).

Don't bother asking Qld transport because you can speak to 10 different so called 'experts' there and they will all give you a different version of what is or isn't allowed.

Sorry I can't be more help!!!

Good luck.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I e-mailed QLD Transport about clarification on a term on C Class licensing (Definition of a moped) and got an answer an hour after I sent the question.

Email fast.info@transport.qld.gov.au if you need something clarified.
Old 27-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have also read that any exhaust item that is not ADR approved is classified as a defect as well. So make sare all parts used on the exhaust (mufflers/hotdogs, etc) must have ADR approval as well.

So really ... if the cops want to ... they will get you on anything.
It comes down to driver attitude ... what you were acting like on the road ... and the current mood of the police officer at the time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
janek
Ripping it up

on the m1, out of the blue at 6:30 in the am... And doing nothing? a little hard to believe. My experience with the coppers on the m1 is they leave you alone unless youre being a tool of some sort...

How loud is your exhaust mate?
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
69frd

Quote:
Nothing over the top, certainly not JMM Race Series Headers, Hi Flow Cat & full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust

AUII_SE_UTE Thanks for the email link, I'll try that.

I'd say I'll have to end up doing the exhaust anyway, just hate being wrong!
Old 27-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #7
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Janek pretty early to be pointing the finger.......

69frd it is a valid query - I too thought the exit point in relation to the last passenger opening was the correct interpretation.

Id be hesitant of just taking it to exhaust shops for your final ruling. You really need it from the Dept of Transport.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
My experience with the coppers on the m1 is they leave you alone unless youre being a tool of some sort...
I have been pulled over on several occasions.. no real reason and they generally end up just giving me a breath test and on their way they go...

There is a thing they are doing and that is to randomly pull vehicles over so that other vehicles see it is a random thing and not misbehave!! :eclipsee_
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
bwhinnen

Was this around the BoganDome / Springwood - Mt Gravatt area by any chance? There is a very nice police officer that is stationed in that area that likes to defect cars just for the hell of it... He believes he is right and that is all that is required. I know of at least one car that passed all DOT tests and inspections to clear the so-called defects to which he promptly defected the car again, even with the certificates and letters from DOT.

Good luck.
bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
69frd

Quote:
Was this around the BoganDome / Springwood - Mt Gravatt area by any chance?
No down the Gold Coast, and now I've had a bit more time to think about what happened what I didn't mention was he also picked me on a oil leak, I'd done an oil change early this morning and hadn't fully tightened the oil filter, I think this might have been the reason for pulling me over in the first place, the exhaust was just secondary, pretty good eyes to spot an oil leak at 110kmh on the M1!

I've emailed QLD transport & if I get a reply I'll post here.

Thanks for the help!
Old 27-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69frd
Grrrrrr.......

Just got my car defected on the way to work this morning, and to make matters worse I thought I was right. :

Has anyone been through trying to interpret what is correct with QLD exhaust mods?

Specifically I have a coupe and my exhaust dumps past in front of the diff more than 40mm past the last passenger area opening & I thought this was legal.

The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.
I have read the Vechile safety & standards reg, but this only seems to relate to vechiles over 4.5GVM????

Anyone else been though this and can provide any guidance? I don't really want to change my exhaust.

From the asrf rules ( thats the rod assosiation)

Exhaust should be well mountes with no leaks not contacting mechanical components like motor assy or gear box chassies or body parts heat sheilds will be fitted asround brake parts when required and the noise will be less thatn 96 Db , the exhaust end shall exit rearward of the last omening window
in other words it must fininsh outside the body work behind the last window you can open ... either out the side or rear of the vehival .
pretty much gels with what the engineer said when I had the Austin engineered a while back .A commercial vehical may allow the pipe to exit onto the front of a rear wheel or in a closd cab pickup to the rear of the cab , there shall be no sharp edges or protrusions , and that's it fells.
:
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

i'm afraid you cant have the exhaust dumping in front of the diff....has to have tailpipes
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
on the m1, out of the blue at 6:30 in the am... And doing nothing? a little hard to believe. My experience with the coppers on the m1 is they leave you alone unless youre being a tool of some sort...

Was going to work a few weeks ago and they had the whole highway cut off. They were breathtesting everycar. It was a saturday morning though.
Old 27-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69frd
Grrrrrr.......

direct access of exhaust gasses to passenger compartment. the boot is not sealed gass tight from rest of car so you need to be behind it .i don't know what rock you've been living under but EVERY sedan or coupe must have tail pipes only utes and trucks etc can dump before diff
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If according to the rules you are legal...take it to court..at the very least the said copper will get carpetted for being wrong and will never do it again!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
69frd

Just got the email reply from QLD transport:

You will have to check the vehicles floorpan in this particular case. The regulations for exhaust outlets states the following;

"the exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan".

In most cases for a sedan the rearmost point that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed is at the end of the boot floor, which results in having the exhaust outlet at the rear of the vehicle. If you are unsure you should contact an Approved Person or Approved Inspection Station to check your vehicle.

Still unsure even with this information, I'll get it changed to make sure I don't have future problems.
Old 29-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #17
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

I dont see why you're still not sure...its says right there that you have to run the pipes past the boot...

if we were allowed to dump the exhaust before the diff dont you think we'd all be doing that? :
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #18
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if you got your floorpan continuously seam welded or permanently sealed you would be able to dump it before the diff? There will be a way round it , its just finding the right way.
exrtnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
69frd

Quote:
I dont see why you're still not sure...its says right there that you have to run the pipes past the boot...
But that's not what the regulation (law) says, only his interpretation; the regs says I have to go 40mm past the last unsealed joint :

I consider my floor pan is sealed past the point the pipes dump, hence my problem, remember its the floor pan only, not the boot lid we are talking about.

All comes down to whats a permanant seal, and whats not.

But too hard basket to argue, just gunna fix it already got quotes and the car booked in.