Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-04-2024, 05:00 PM   #1
dan76n

Default 2009 MB Diesel just stalled and won’t start

Hi all,
I was driving our Mondeo yesterday when it started shuddering. My thoughts were the gearbox crapped itself so I put it in neutral to roll off the road and straight away it stalled.
NRMA towed it to a safe place and then a guy came out and didn’t know what was wrong.
I had a mobile mechanic come out this morning and checked it out and he said it looks like an electrical fault.
He had me take pics of his device he connected up which shows all the faults.
Had 3 pages first up then he cleared them and tried starting it again and only one fault.
I’ve included the images of the faults.
Any ideas of what’s wrong?
Car has 250,000kms and we have been thinking of upgrading so I really don’t want to spend thousands repairing it.
Any ideas on what the likely issue is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (66.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg image2.jpeg (92.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (77.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (57.9 KB, 10 views)
dan76n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2024, 10:31 PM   #2
Mondaveo

Default Re: 2009 MB Diesel just stalled and won’t start

What was the one fault code after he cleared the three pages of faults and tried starting it? Is that your image0.jpeg?

Through FORScan I've seen an assortment of DTCs present at various times in my car for BCM, mirrors and so forth, much like you have in your other images. The car is operating fine so I assume those are just temporary glitches occurring from time to time. So I think we can probably discount most of those if they were preexisting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2024, 11:50 AM   #3
dan76n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
What was the one fault code after he cleared the three pages of faults and tried starting it? Is that your image0.jpeg?
Yes it’s image 0.
Old 22-04-2024, 11:30 PM   #4
Mondaveo

In image0, U3001:00-08 is associated with the ABS module and the description "improper shutdown" is caused probably from loss of power, so I think this is a symptom and not the culprit.

Searching the internet for more information on that code, lo and behold one of the top results came back to this site. Cobrin had what sounds like exactly the same issue: diesel MB stalled and DTCs including ABS U3001:00-08, and PCM P0335:38-28 for a fault with the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP Sensor or CKPS). He's replaced the CKP sensor and the car ran again.
See: Stalled MB TDCi this time looks like I've got it

Now I'm looking through your initial fault codes for DTCs from the PCM and in image2 I see you've got a P0341:31-6C for Camshaft Position Sensor fault.

It seems possible that your camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor) might be faulty and need replacement in the same manner that Cobrin needed to replace his CKP sensor. Or, it might be some other issue related to the timing of the engine.

I've done some more Googling but haven't found a slam-dunk answer relating to a Mondeo. I'll have to ponder it some more, in the mean time here's an explanatory article I found that may be helpful:
https://www.carparts.com/blog/p0341-...single-sensor/
Quote:
What are the Possible Causes of the P0341 Code?

The code P0341 can be interpreted in different ways depending on the vehicle. Here are the most common causes of code P0341:
  • Faulty CMP
  • Circuit problems (e.g., damaged wiring and loose connections)
  • Defective camshaft reluctor wheel
  • Issues with timing components (e.g., a stretched timing chain or failed timing chain tensioner); NOTE: This will usually set other codes.

Quote:
Old 23-04-2024, 02:00 PM   #5
dan76n

Thanks for the detailed response.
I’ve spoken to the two local ford dealers and the earliest they can look at it is 7th of May so I’m thinking I’ll try replace the Camshaft sensor myself.
Anyone got a pic of its exact location?
Old 24-04-2024, 09:34 PM   #6
dan76n

Found it. Ordered one and should arrive by Friday. Fingers crossed this is the problem.
Old 25-04-2024, 12:14 AM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The sensors are quite durable.

From memory these are a “slip and grip” crank sprocket for the timing belt. If the crank (flywheel actually) wasn’t pinned last belt change, but timed up by matching texta marks, you can be out enough to set the cam sensor code.

Also winding the engine backwards can affect valve timing in some cars, I think this motor is included.

If the belt is broken you possibly just need new rockers to fix the problem.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2024, 01:56 AM   #8
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76n View Post
Found it. Ordered one and should arrive by Friday. Fingers crossed this is the problem.
I was already looking so I'll just leave here that this Alan Howatt video shows the camshaft position sensor at the 2:01 mark:

I agree with Citroënbender that although the DTC describes an problem with the data coming from the sensor, it's just as likely the sensor itself is functioning properly and the cause is something other. By all means you may check and change the sensor but you'll need to look to other factors in the event it's not the sensor. Case in point, here's another Alan Howatt video about a no-start concern that seems like a fuel pump fault, but turns out to be an unusual mechanical failure of the camshaft:

If you are going to attempt to work on the car yourself you should really get yourself an OBD scanner tool and the FORScan software (which you can get on Windows, Android or iOS). This will be necessary to read any fault codes to help you work out where issues occur as well as inspect live data and perform service procedures. You should look for an OBD tool that can interrogate both HS-CAN and MS-CAN networks for Ford vehicles. I personally use an OBDLink MX wireless dongle which is Bluetooth connected to my Android phone running FORScan.

I've found a few forum threads of other owners troubleshooting similar issues and fault codes. They might be worth reading to see if there's any similarities with your experience. Unfortunately most of these do not have a definitive answer where the OP provides a final post saying how they fixed it.

Quote:

Last edited by Mondaveo; 25-04-2024 at 02:01 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2024, 09:35 AM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Being 2009 I think it’s a DW10 type motor.

They have a problem for the unfamiliar with the link chain (timing the exhaust cam off the belt driven intake cam) being hydraulically tensioned - with no oil pressure, if you wind the motor backwards it can mistime the exhaust cam.

For correct timing belt replacement you need to pin the flywheel and inlet cam, plus physically lock the ring gear with a suitable gripper to allow the correct torque to be reached when re-tightening the crank sprocket. The flywheel pin alone is only five or six mm and will shear.

One really good thing about the design of these motors as I touched on before, is the rocker arms are like fuses, they fail as protection. A belt failure will almost always result in rocker arm carnage, but no broken cams or cam caps or flatted big-ends. Sump off to remove the shrapnel, clean up and replace the rockers, time the link chain correctly, reseal the motor and fit a new belt.

Hydraulicking is a different fault and one I’ve not seen personally. Gut feeling says the crank and head would survive, with biggest risk to be bore damage.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2024, 07:16 PM   #10
dan76n

Thanks all, I’m really only replacing the Camshaft sensor as a hope to solve it so I’m not waiting until the 7th of May so Ford can look at it. Had they been able to look at it now I wouldn’t have bothered.