Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Idea for making people better drivers.

After gaining my HR truck licence and driving trucks for the last 6 months it has realy opened my eyes to the idiots on the roads. I now have a whole new respect now for heavy vehicles when I'm out and about in my car, and I now allways give them plenty of room.
Now there are a lot of accidents involving trucks that could have been avoided if the idiot car driver just knew a bit about how trucks drive, brake and manover. Would having car drivers take the passenger seat of a large truck for a few hours help ? Would it make them relise what goes on in the traffic when the truck driver points out to them what is going on with the truck and the surrounding traffic ?

Sitting up high with a birds eye view of the idiots on the roads and the truckie telling you how it is..... surely it would make a difference to the way you drive when you next hop into your car.

Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the government wouldn't even consider it.

It's a good idea but it costs money.. Perhaps when you get your license you're shown a video about trucks driving habits.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Scott

Great idea and I'm sure would put a new perspective on things. An issue that pops into my head is what happens when the truck has a prang and the learner in the passenger seat is hurt/dead. Mum & Dad look to the government who made little Sandie get into the truck for compo and then ACA does a story on cowboy truckies taking pills before they have kids in the cab etc etc etc and the whole great idea blows up in their face.

Maybe mandatory video footage from the worst of what a truck deals with from a cab mounted cam might be another option?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Boosh Brus

My dream world would be that everyone fit and able should be trained and then ride a speed limited motorbike for a few weeks every year.

That way if they don't learn some road skills they wont last very long.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh Brus
My dream world would be that everyone fit and able should be trained and then ride a speed limited motorbike for a few weeks every year.

these road skills you mention....... do they involve cutting people off, scooting up the middle of 2 lanes at traffic lights, cutting up the outside at road works, tailgating, and sitting in blind spots?

i just find it strange to hear motorbike riders talk about other people being bad drivers
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
these road skills you mention....... do they involve cutting people off, scooting up the middle of 2 lanes at traffic lights, cutting up the outside at road works, tailgating, and sitting in blind spots?

i just find it strange to hear motorbike riders talk about other people being bad drivers
Spot on.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are so right b mobile.
Not just for the young, but every one!
It is unbelievable to see some of the fools, that think they can take on and have a go at a truck. weather because they think they are in the right or something other.
It just does not add up people.
pick up 40KG then try 80KG now try 10 X that. maybe now you may comprehend the consequence of what you are dealing with.
I look out ALWAYS and give way, regardless of the situation.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a nice idea , car drivers don`t have a clue.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
fordxrtfan

Having family and friends in the truck industry and having been passenger on a few occasions it opened my eyes, and I have been saying for years that anyone with a license or anyone that complains about truck drivers should take a ride and see excatly what goes on.

Winter White
6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Side Airbags, Bluetooth, DVD Satellite Navigation, Reverse Parking Sensor, Ipod/MP3 kit, Tinted windows, Brembos, Enkei RPO3 wheels
Phase 3 kit, installed & tuned by Autotech 332rwkw
!!FOR SALE!!
fordxrtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
BOSHOG
avenge me

i think the op was spot on, i was an offsider for a trucking company from the age of 17 until 21, way before i even got a license (i was to drunk until i had children) and i think it has changed the way i drive to this day.
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was the only one this morning who let a B Double turn left from the right lane (with his Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle sign and left indicators clearly displayed). Poor bloke had to sit there for 6 or 7 cars before he could continue round the corner as people kept coming though undertaking (multiple meaning term!) him until I flashed him that I knew he needed both lanes. Was a Linfox truck so any damage they do (regardless of fault) goes on the drivers file - hence his dilemma I guess.

Got a blast from the ignorant (and obviously time-poor, self-important) young girl P plater behind, but a 'truckie handshake' from the BD.

Apart from this issue, the other main one is cutting into braking space. Just because you can see road in front of the truck, doesn't mean you wont see a prime mover climbing over your boot if you then brake in front! Same thing with passenger vehicles towing heavy loads (over 750kg GVM).

I am HR licenced and nothing makes you appreciate other types of road users than being one. Not sure what the answer is, a noble idea from the OP, but like many will not see the light of day for political reasons.

I am a strident advocate for proper licencing classes. I can't cop that you can do a licence test in an automatic Barina, then go and buy and legally drive anything up to an F250 with a 5th wheeler caravan combo! Just madness. Anything over 2 tonne GVM (passenger or otherwise) needs an LR licence in my view. Towing, and off road endorsements as seperate test requirements. I also believe in licence retesting in highest class of vehicle licenced for every 5 years too, with an online knowledge test to be completed beforehand. I am happy to go first, but this will NEVER happen in Australia. A licence is a right in Australia, and not a privilege despite any licencing authority spin to the contrary. In Australia we give all but the very worst drivers a licence because we do not have the population to support efficient public transport to serve the geographical needs.

There is no politically viable solution in the forseeable future. People will just continue to die and suffer until those in power grow a pair. Sorry to be so negative, but I would be happy to hear any positve argument refuting this. I may just be jaded though by being personally impacted by the resulting road trauma and associated sequalae, so am happy for others to point out holes in my arguments.

Last edited by Pinch; 02-10-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
I was the only one this morning who let a B Double turn left from the right lane (with his Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle sign and left indicators clearly displayed). Poor bloke had to sit there for 6 or 7 cars before he could continue round the corner as people kept coming though undertaking (multiple meaning term!) him until I flashed him that I knew he needed both lanes. Was a Linfox truck so any damage they do (regardless of fault) goes on the drivers file - hence his dilemma I guess.

Got a blast from the ignorant (and obviously time-poor, self-important) young girl P plater behind, but a 'truckie handshake' from the BD.

Apart from this issue, the other main one is cutting into braking space. Just because you can see road in front of the truck, doesn't mean you wont see a prime mover climbing over your boot if you then brake in front! Same thing with passenger vehicles towing heavy loads (over 750kg GVM).

I am HR licenced and nothing makes you appreciate other types of road users than being one. Not sure what the answer is, a noble idea from the OP, but like many will not see the light of day for political reasons.

I am a strident advocate for proper licencing classes. I can't cop that you can do a licence test in an automatic Barina, then go and buy and legally drive anything up to an F250 with a 5th wheeler caravan combo! Just madness. Anything over 2 tonne GVM (passenger or otherwise) needs an LR licence in my view. Towing, and off road endorsements as seperate test requirements. I also believe in licence retesting in highest class of vehicle licenced for every 5 years too, with an online knowledge test to be completed beforehand. I am happy to go first, but this will NEVER happen in Australia. A licence is a right in Australia, and not a privilege despite any licencing authority spin to the contrary. In Australia we give all but the very worst drivers a licence because we do not have the population to support efficient public transport to serve the geographical needs.

There is no politically viable solution in the forseeable future. People will just continue to die and suffer until those in power grow a pair. Sorry to be so negative, but I would be happy to hear any positve argument refuting this. I may just be jaded though by being personally impacted by the resulting road trauma and associated sequalae, so am happy for others to point out holes in my arguments.

The licence test is still very easy, its just navigate the town for 45 minutes, do a 3 point turn (which you can now use other peoples driveways) or a reverse park but they're failing LOTS of people on things like logbook because it has a slight tare in the page, thats why in Victoria the licence testing is booked out into late November at the moment, if you fail on logbook, which can be a slight tare in the page, or one of the boxes not filled in, you have to rebook the licence test, pay more fees and wait 6 weeks before you can try again.

They say doing this 120 hours thing for Learners makes them better drivers, 130 of my 135 hours have been driving up and down the same road with no traffic because my parents wont take me into heavy traffic areas, I've only ever been in heavy traffic once. You need experience in all conditions, not lots of hours. To make better drivers you need EDUCATION, make it a requirement that you have to do year 11 physics while studying for your Ps, in particular, forces and movement so you can understand what is involved in a car accident. Plus, teach car control skills, not just how to pass a test and let me go on my merry way. Look at how much pilots have to do to get their licences compared to averge joe and his car.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was thinking along the lines of a national registry of truck drivers / companies / owner drivers ect willing to take a passenger for a hour or 2. People would look at a list on the web for example and contact the company ect and orginse a time and day ect to come onboard and learn something. Purley an individuals choice to undertake such a life lesson ect. You would have parents booking their P plate kids in hopeing they would learn something, plus anyone else looking at being a better driver, mums, dads, freinds ect one they hear how worthwile the experience is.

Look so far at the amount of truck drivers on this forum that have said that driving a truck has realy opened thier eyes.... surley it must help a little..

Last edited by Bmobile; 02-10-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
351henryv8
ef fairmont 5 litre

Totally agree. I have a HR licence too and every time I drive truck from Canberra to the Coast or Cooma there are these "special" people who overtake on double yellow lines or pull out to join the road despite the 10 tonne truck bearing down on them. I told myself next time I see one of these "time poor" pulling out to overtake on unbroken lines I would also pull out and block them off, but you have to be very quick to do that and have eyes in the back of head. What we need is video cameras on heavy vehicles to capture these precious drivers as the police presence on roads is a joke. People should have to re-sit driving tests but when and how is the problem. Perhaps there could be an incentive scheme where by the person pays to re-do practical and or does a free on-line test to test their perception of road rules, then they could have a higher "gold" class licence (providing they did not have any demerit points at the time). They should then receive a discount on insurance (third party included) based on their "gold" licence, which would separate the hoons from the disciplined, especially when the police officer asks to see your licence.
351henryv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

B mobile, welcome to the world of heavy vehicles.

See that spot in front of you that is for you to break in? Well that car in the next lane is about to pull into that spot, Oh wait the lights ahead are red.
CRUNCH

Get used to it as it happens all the time. The roads are full of people that either have no idea or simply don't care. These people are the first to go running to 'A Current Affair' and state how much a menance truck drivers are.

Oh, the other big one is 'under taking', fools in their car that see a truck indicating left in a right lane and think now is a good idea to pass on the left.

The general road user is only partially trained for cars and have no knowledge about heavy vehicles. This causes accidents.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

The general road user is only partially trained for cars and have no knowledge about heavy vehicles. This causes accidents.
Yes, so very true, this is why we need some form of education, as it may make some think twice. Now all we have to do is convince the athorities it is a good idea.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Hardly call them accidents in my eyes when people are foolish enough to cut off a truck then brake.. Accident from the truckies view maybe but by no means to the person in the car. You don't 'accidently' pull out infront of a truck.. you CHOOSE too. Dad was a truckie when I was younger, so I saw all these things that have been mentioned here and I ALWAYS give trucks the room they need. IMO if you're dumb enough to pull out infront of a truck the result is your own fault.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
To make better drivers you need EDUCATION, make it a requirement that you have to do year 11 physics while studying for your Ps, in particular, forces and movement so you can understand what is involved in a car accident. .
Do they have to pass yr 11 physics or just attend classes? Certainly keep the roads empty if it meant passing.

Seriously all people have to understand is big/heavy things are harder to stop/change direction and hurt more when you hit them. Perhaps just one question in the learner quiz, 'how many metres does a 40 tonne truck need to pull up from 60km/h' and the same question for a car.

What I find more dangerous is trucks that dont slow down for intersections, and the way the present timings are set there is no way many of them would be able to stop for the red when the see the amber, so they go through..the red. Of course being "professional" drivers they know where the red light cameras are and do slow down when approaching those ones.

There should be lower speed limits for these vehicles in built up areas. You can get a ticket in a car for doing 63km/h and it is safe for one of these things to be doing 60km/h on the same bit of road?.........you cant be serious///

My other pet hate, connected with the above is when one of these "professionals" is tailgating, forcing you to take a red light in front of them!, or they think that because they can see ahead of your car that they dont need to follow you at a safe distance....bollocks!
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Here's a thought - every kid in high school physics should be fitted with a heavy vest (10-15kg minimum) and made to run an obstacle course while the another student is instructed to duck and weave in and around the heavyweight, pulling up short, pulling in front of them and cutting them off, etc., so they understand and appreciate exactly what's going on with a heavy mass in motion while at the same time making the kid running interference understand exactly what's going to happen to him/her if they cut off a heavy vehicle. The same principal can then be applied to pulling a heavy trolly (say) around the same coarse so they get an idea of what a semi or B-double driver is going through and how much space they need to pull up and/or make a turn. If it was done in class as another lesson and part of the curriculum then the cost would be negligable beyond the obsticles and weight vests and trollys but the lesson learned would be invaluable.

And yes, I'm a truck driver too and don't get me started about impatient and ignorant drivers. :rolleyes:

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not all truck drivers are golden, they too are human and they too make mistakes I can give an example but its off topic. Not all car vs. truck accidents are the fault of the car.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #21
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
not all truck drivers are golden, they too are human and they too make mistakes I can give an example but its off topic. Not all car vs. truck accidents are the fault of the car.
yep so very true, but in a truck vs car senario it will be one or the other at fault, and I would imagine the car driver in such situation would be at fault the majority of the time. But I have been wrong before..... anyone got any hard facts ?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have grown up in the industry all my life and know too well that people don't understand or care about any1 else, My dad in his fully loaded truck at highway speed had a lady pull out in front of him and caused an accident that she was extremely lucky to get out of alive and he had the hate mail and death threats from her family because of the lack of understanding of what it takes.
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by B mobile
anyone got any hard facts ?
Hard to prove as most magestrates favor the car driver. To many 'cowboy' truck drivers have given truck drivers a bad name.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its quite ordinary how many car drivers undercut and jump into trucks braking zones these days, i usually give trucks plenty of space and let them do there thing.

That being said, one good idea that works is drive petrol tankers, everyone gives you a wide berth then :
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
torbirdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch

I am a strident advocate for proper licencing classes. I can't cop that you can do a licence test in an automatic Barina, then go and buy and legally drive anything up to an F250 with a 5th wheeler caravan combo! Just madness. Anything over 2 tonne GVM (passenger or otherwise) needs an LR licence in my view. Towing, and off road endorsements as seperate test requirements. .
I agree with you in many ways here, there is a big difference between driving a 2.5tonne landcruiser and the little car that many get their licences in, it especially worries me when I see these vehicles being used by women dropping off kids around schools when you know they couldnt parallel park the thing to save their lives.

It would certainly remove the popularity of these vehicles if people had to do a proper licence test in them.

The other side of the coin would be how would learners practice if these are the only vehicles in the family? my thoughts are they shouldnt be practicising in these(endangering the rest of us) until they have developed proficiency in smaller vehicles, perhaps it will make the parents actually get a smaller car?

The current driving licences regs have got that way due to statistics, for example the auto/manual thing. Statistically it has been proven the average person who only gets an auto licence is able to safely transfer without further testin to a manual licence later because they are sensible enough to learn how to seek instruction about how to drive the manual and have the road experience to know their limitations.

Perhaps a similar thing ought to exist for those getting licences in smaller cars transferring to our truck like vehicles that weigh 2.5 tonne.
torbirdie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #26
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
That being said, one good idea that works is drive petrol tankers, everyone gives you a wide berth then :
but with petrol prices skyrocketing, I am not so sure I would want to be a rolling million dollar target.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
john3136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh Brus

I believe this was done in the US somewhere with scooters, and it's a superb idea !!

Ignoring all the anti bike comments: Your typical bike rider is (or at least should be) much more aware of traffic and road conditions than your typical car driver.

get tapped in a car - you might get a little scratch on your car.
get tapped on a bike - you might break your bones.

On the bike you need to pay attention to different road surfaces and brake appropriately - many car drivers don't even seem to know the difference between wet and dry driving.

I can't condone everything motor bike riders do, but in general on the bike you're better off in front of the traffic than stuck in it.

<rant_off/>
(edited for obvious typo)
john3136 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
princeplanet
Starter Motor

Try pulling up a Truck full of expensive livestock hard, when some idiots take up your braking space- some stock might fall ,other may be trappled...most car drivers are comlete W*TS. Every time you brake the stock feel it-you brake all so gently. Then some bozo jumps in front of you.
princeplanet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #29
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think one way to make drivers is better is to make lessons mandatory with a credited driving instructor (not simply their parents) A lot of times the parents teach their kids their bad habits so we never improve.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I think one way to make drivers is better is to make lessons mandatory with a credited driving instructor (not simply their parents) A lot of times the parents teach their kids their bad habits so we never improve.
Driving instructor only teaches you how to pass the test, not how to drive properly.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post