Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Stick one of these under the bonnet....
Turbo 39 54.93%
Supercharger 32 45.07%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2005, 12:09 AM   #31
EFFalcon
Last warning

supercharged for sure.
do what you've always wanted to do.
when it comes down to it, a supercharger can make decent power, its only when chasing insane power levels that the turbo starts to come out on top.
but who wants to be changing the diff & trans to suit all that.

supercharger for sure!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #32
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

If you want it to go fast, just put a Cleveland (tm) in it.

:evilking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #33
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Might need a solution more environmentally friendly Shane... like a coal fired steam engine.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #34
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hippies burn well and cleanly too apparently too dave ;)
Old 05-08-2005, 12:22 AM   #35
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

they may burn cleanly, but jesus the smell!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #36
Velociraptor
Digging for avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
they may burn cleanly, but jesus the smell!
You must be careful not to inhale, the fumes will warp your mind.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:56 AM   #37
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
BA's do nothing for me. I cant see myself ever owning one. I'll stick to my AU, it's my preferred car. Nothing against the BA, they just dont interest me.

What do you mean mid life crisis approaching? It arrived long ago and refuses to leave!

LOL, no chance, this is about power and fun. All the rice gimmicks are not even a chance to get on my car. Hell, it wont even get a body kit or fancy stereo.

Why? I doubt most V8's will see anything bit the rear of my I6 anyhow...regardless of which forced route I take. Hell, a fair few V8's only see the rear of it as it is now!:
Sell the VCT & go for a TE50! makes sense money & power wise although it would be fun with a QUIET turbo or supercharger against the bogans in their ss commyies!l
Sleeperau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #38
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
Sell the VCT & go for a TE50!
I almost did... but in the end the changeover wasnt right price wise. No, the VCT stays now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
makes sense money & power wise although it would be fun with a QUIET turbo or supercharger against the bogans in their ss commyies!l
The whole idea is for a heap of power in a stealth format. Both solutions provide that somewhat... the supercharge a bit more unusual, the turbo with more power.

In the end I am after power... lots of it... more than can be considered sane.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:06 AM   #39
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both will give you good performance. Every man an his dog seems to have plans to bolt a turbo on the side of their I6. Turbos are attractive for obvious reasons, but I say go with what you have always wanted and get the supercharger.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:16 AM   #40
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Supercharger for sure.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:17 AM   #41
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's hard... do superchargers have emissions problems? Does a supercharged car need to be engineered?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #42
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
It's hard... do superchargers have emissions problems? Does a supercharged car need to be engineered?
Yes, but off the self capa kits are pre ADR approved if used in the exact same setup as CAPA tested bypassing that nasty ADR37 test. Making engineering fairly simple.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:14 AM   #43
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

As you have an auto and want big power a turbo is the only answer. As you have said yourself big power can really only be had with a turbocharger, look at all the fastest 6's on here, how many are supercharged? Supercharging may be different, but FSM Niki's are different too and who wants one of them?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:32 AM   #44
Walkinshaw
Two > One

What do you class as big power? Sure turbos come into their own in midrange torque and top end scream when tuned flat out, however i don't think casper is out for a dyno queen. Supercharger, if its something you have allways wanted get it. A Gear driven blower sounds 39.2x better than a turbo hence part of its appeal. Whatever you do, go for a vortech atleast a powerdyne kit just wont cut it when in comparison to a turbo install.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 10:46 AM   #45
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I guess part of the issue is how much power I can get from a supercharger. The setup will not be a half *** job but the full deal. Head work, pistons, computer, etc etc etc. As you can imagine it’s a long term project and will be a significant cost. Therefore I have to ask myself, for the investment, what do I want back? In the end it is 2 things.
1. Power, as much as I can squeeze out of it. Not “dyno queen numbers” power, really don’t give too much of a crap about that. No, the sort of power I want is tyre frying, wheel spinning, Ľ munching insanity. The sort of power that will cause wheel spin if I floor it at 100kph on the freeway. The sort of power that make me scared to drive in traffic. The sort of power that forces involuntary whoops and yeehaa’s from my lips :
2. Personal satisfaction. This is my thing, my motivation and my reasoning. The project is for me, no one else, so the personal side of it is as important as the power side.

Seriously though, if I’m going forced induction and spending the money, I want some serious mumbo. I wont be happy with anything under 300rwkw to be honest. Both the Vortech and a Turbo can do this. The big issue that has struck me now is…..what if I want more? The Vortech will be getting close to its effective and reliable limits….a turbo wont. So the big question I have to ask myself is “is 300rwkw enough to satisfy me?” I doubt it to be honest! Once its there and running I’ll get used to it, I know I will. That’s why I’m now seriously looking at a Turbo setup. A proper one, full build, minimum compromises. That way, as funds permit, the wick can be turned up. At least till the auto turns to mush and drops on the ground.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #46
Moya

I agree, the blow of sound is GAY, but the sound of the turbo spooling is much much nicer Noting like hearing the new r34 GTR's spooling, mmmmm.
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #47
Plunkett
never enough power

Putting things like $$$ and power aside for a second, consider which one will cause you more aggravation? When you do make decision and spend all that time on the upgrade, you're going to want the car to run like it's God with a firework forced up his *** (don't now if that would make God faster but I find the idea amusing). You don't want it sitting on stands the rest of it's life while you play around fixing up all the little things that go wrong.

If you look back on the history of Brendan's white el, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. He spent allot of time planning out the charger and then allot of time building it. He then spent allot of time rebuilding it over and over again and just couldn't get a reliable runout of it with out something braking. The end result, he ripped it out, worked out a crazy turbo set up and now has an insane beast of pure power.

I think you know what the more efficient way to go is, the question is are you going to regret giving up your dream and going a Turbo.

What ever way you go as long as you can thrash Dan I'll be happy.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #48
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
In the end I am after power... lots of it... more than can be considered sane.
And on that comment, thats why I picked Turbo... and why you should as well
Old 05-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #49
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunkett
And I thought we were friends! ing_sm

Casper come for a ride in my car on the 13th if your coming to heathcote. Its smooth in traffic and can be kept off boost but anything more than half throttle in traffic is sideways! I am scared to drive on 14psi all the time. The passengers are moreso! :evilking:

Last edited by dansedgli; 05-08-2005 at 12:15 PM.
dansedgli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #50
neb
hibernating

I voted turbo.. as good as supercharging will be you said yourself that 300rwkw might not satisfy you.. With a supercharger you can only make so much power, If you turbocharge theres bigger power to be made alot easier.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #51
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunkett
Putting things like $$$ and power aside for a second, consider which one will cause you more aggravation? When you do make decision and spend all that time on the upgrade, you're going to want the car to run like it's God with a firework forced up his *** (don't now if that would make God faster but I find the idea amusing). You don't want it sitting on stands the rest of it's life while you play around fixing up all the little things that go wrong.

If you look back on the history of Brendan's white el, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. He spent allot of time planning out the charger and then allot of time building it. He then spent allot of time rebuilding it over and over again and just couldn't get a reliable runout of it with out something braking. The end result, he ripped it out, worked out a crazy turbo set up and now has an insane beast of pure power.

I think you know what the more efficient way to go is, the question is are you going to regret giving up your dream and going a Turbo.

All very good points but I doubt either will give massive aggravation, or less aggravation than the other one. All pretty similar in a lot of ways. This is not a “slap it on at home” setup but a professional build so most of the little things should be discovered and sorted during the build. Sure, there’s always the potential for issues later on and the more power you chase the more chance of issues. I’ve already accepted this and, as the car wont be a daily driver, it doesn’t bother me. That’s the hard part, finding the limit of power before things go pear shaped…. And then choosing to go past it or not. Personally I think this issue would arrive with the Turbo based on other parts not being capable to deal with its potential power…and, for the Supercharger, with the Vortech components reaching their limits before the rest of the car.

As for Brendens EF, it ran a powerdyne that was so stressed over its rated capabilities that it was never going to last. A Vortech is a totally different prospect…designed for much higher psi levels and a stronger design.

Either way, it really has now come down to me working out if option 2 – Personal Satisfaction is going to be achieved by power or style. The turbo is by far the more powerful option but, to me, still lacks style. The Supercharger has all the style in the world, but is going to be limited to a rwkw ceiling. Bastardo of a decision really.

In the end though, if the Supercharger can’t reliably live at 300rwkw then all the style in the world won’t make a bit of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Casper come for a ride in my car on the 13th if your coming to heathcote. Its smooth in traffic and can be kept off boost but anything more than half throttle in traffic is sideways! I am scared to drive on 14psi all the time. The passengers are moreso! :evilking:
Can't make it on the 13th unfortunatly but I have been for a ride in it a few times with Mal and it was nuts. Considering your running much more power than he was, I think it would be a sphincter scaring experience.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #52
parawolf
beep beep

Casper, why don't you just buy dansedgli's AU off him.

Then you have a massively good base to start from. Already got all the stuff ready to roll for 98% of what you want. Just needs engineering and rwc
Old 05-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #53
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
If you want it to go fast, just put a Cleveland (tm) in it.

:evilking:
Yehhh, what he said....... :

Seriously, I prefer turbos.

Regardless of what the blow off valve sounds like, or spooling or whatever, at the end of the day, they are more efficient.

Plus, you know you're not going to be satisfied with the initial power, and it will be a steady climb to increase power.
The turbo seems pretty obvious to me.

Rick.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #54
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Casper, why don't you just buy dansedgli's AU off him.

Then you have a massively good base to start from. Already got all the stuff ready to roll for 98% of what you want. Just needs engineering and rwc
Mal offered me his car for sale over 18 months ago. At the time I didnt want it... he offered it to me again before he put it up for public sale when Dan got it. I still didnt want it.

Reason... this modding I am going to to is for the journey, the destination is just the end result. I have my own idea's, ideals and goals. If I wanted to just take the easy way out, I'd buy a BA XR6T and throw an APS kit on it.
I want to do something that is mine from go to whoa.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #55
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
BA's do nothing for me. I cant see myself ever owning one. I'll stick to my AU, it's my preferred car. Nothing against the BA, they just dont interest me.

Why? I doubt most Hell, a fair few V8's only see the rear of it as it is now!:
^^^Mmmm can you be specific here ?! :Reverend:
Forget snailed I6AU 's but I am yet to have a AUI6 HP/VCT take my money :
You obviously must be meaning the General's product Shane

Oh by the way, I like both but old school would more reliable imo.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #56
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Yehhh, what he said....... :

Plus, you know you're not going to be satisfied with the initial power, and it will be a steady climb to increase power.
The turbo seems pretty obvious to me.

Rick.
another vote for the turbo .. I was under the impression S/C cars were limited by the pulley size so you have a 'set' boost level? Turbo cars you can wind them up or down dependending on the off track duties of the car..

Is that the right train of thought?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #57
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
The Vortech will be getting close to its effective and reliable limits….a turbo wont
Just as there are big turbos and little turbos, there are big Vortech's and little Vortechs.

The S-Trim is the second smallest of the lot I think, then there are ProCharger making great centrifugal s/c head units as well...

I haven't driven a good centrifugal s/c car, or a good turbo car so I can't/won't comment on how the driving experience may be different.

If done well, either way will be a e load of fun and quick. I would be very suprised if one path will cost significantly more than the other given the goals you seek.

Good luck

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #58
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
^^^Mmmm can you be specific here ?! :Reverend:
Sure. Most of the Generals 5.0l V8's (including HSV's) and a fair chunk of the Ford V8's from 92-98. As I said, most. My cars no rocket ship but it has certainly accounted for many a V8 in its time in a fair fight at the drags.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #59
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Having just clocked 148 rwkws on my VCT they only thing that is going to keep you in front is a twin turbo

Personally I like the supercharger, easier install imho and less hassle at the end of the day, but thats my personal opinion having had 3 super charged cars
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #60
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
And on that comment, thats why I picked Turbo... and why you should as well
I agree.

I think you also have to really question yourself whether spending more money on a supercharger setup is worth it just because it's old-school and sounds better. Maybe run it by the boss first ;) But the old-school supercharger sound is unreal!!

I'd be looking at the turbo due to the fact that you want "insane" amounts of power. Most of us know here it's usually a matter of winding up the boost, among other things, and away you go. I just see it leaving a whole lot more potential.

One more thing, I don't know myself, but being mechanically driven isn't the supercharger basically running all the time? Hence higher fuel consumption? Whilst you can drive your car sedately off boost (or very little) with a turbo and have the general characteristics of an NA car until you plant the throttle. Maybe I'm totally off here but anyway!!

Have you considered the drivetrain much? Is it going to take much more than 200 at the rear bags before crapping itself?

Either way, I'm sure JMM will do a top-notch quality job on it and make it run excellent times.. You bastard.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post