Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-03-2023, 07:24 AM   #61
Pumba84
Starter Motor

Default Re: New rear shocks 2015 Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david837465 View Post
Just a quick update............
Hi David, great work you have done recording all this here, feel like I owe you a beer for all the effort and providing the resource. I am just going through the same issues with my 2016 Mk5 here in NZ.

120,000km and two leaking rear shocks. Ford NZ have quoted $3,939.66 plus GST. So $4,500 for two shock absorbers. The second hand network clearly knows as well because they came back with a price of $1875+GST for a set, with no guarantee that I wont be back here in 12 months time when if go for my next WoF.

Just making sure I am not going to fall foul of our stupid vehicle compliance rules by changing out the self leveling shocks before going ahead with the purchase of the GE Parts kit. My mechanic who will be doing the install and does my WoF has asked if disconnecting the self levelers causes any issues with the cars stability control systems, or any of those other stupidly complicated systems that modern vehicles have?

Has anyone that deleted the self leveling shocks had any issues?

Also keen to hear if the is anyone in NZ that has gone down this route.
Pumba84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2023, 05:37 AM   #62
Greenspeed3
Starter Motor

Hi Guys,
Since I was the one who started this thread way back in 2020, I thought I should update - SUCESS!
After reading the posts here (thank you), I ordered the conversion kit from Geparts in Sweden. https://geparts.se/en/conversion-kit...-mondeo-i.html
They were super helpful and it arrived here in about 5 days $670 delivered.
Fulcrum Suspension in Capalaba fitted them, no problems for $625
Definitely the car feels much better, and problem fixed for say $1300 (compared with probs more than $3,000 for genuine Ford self levelelling suspension).
Wil recommend this solution to anyone with a Mondeo wagon. Apparently Volvo's have the same problem, hence the solution coming from Sweden !
Greenspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2024, 09:47 AM   #63
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david837465 View Post
Just a quick update. Recently had my car service by the same guy who sorted the springs out for me. He noticed the springs and shocks looked identical to the ones on the Mustang. So, when he got hold of another Mondeo wagon, he took the shocks and springs off a Mustang and put them on the Mondeo. Apparently it looked fine. The Mondeo sat the same height above the wheel, with the Mustang shocks and springs, as it did with it's own. Anyway, he's sent his findings off to Fulcrum and they are doing their own tests.

If this is right, then any shocks/springs marketed for the
Mustang can likely be used for the Mondeo. There's plenty of aftermarket shocks and springs for the Mustang available in Australia, so this would make changing them significantly less expensive.

And it's yet another example of Ford screwing it's customers. It doesn't surprise me at all that Ford uses the same parts across a number of models. But do they tell us? No. They charge us $2400 for shocks they know full well could be replaced for a third of that!
I know it's a long time since you posted, but any update or further information on this?

Thanks.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2024, 06:30 PM   #64
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

The link still looks good & the price is better than the $2500 it will cost to put OEM, but there are other options starting to filter through.
goz007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2024, 08:44 AM   #65
wazzzas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspeed3 View Post
I love my diesel Mondeo wagon. But both rear shock absorbers need replacing. Ford want $1200 (each)!!!
Given the low volume here, there is no aftermarket supplier. Repco etc don't have them.
But aftermarket shocks are readily available in the UK for around UK 35 pounds or A$65 each.
So I'm planning to buy in UK and have shipped over for fitting. Has anyone else done this?

The ones from the UK do not fit the self levelling setup your car has...

Hence the discussion above.
wazzzas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #66
wazzzas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzzas View Post
The ones from the UK do not fit the self levelling setup your car has...

Hence the discussion above.

please ignore cant delete post in error
wazzzas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2024, 11:59 AM   #67
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triga View Post
hi david

yes very interesting and good info

i am currently going a slightly different way with the springs but have used the shocks you suggested

with me wanting to load up the car with plenty of weight i went for air bags

rather cheap kits from Queensland that fit in the spring and providing the extra lift and weight bearing ill need.

i haven't tried it out fully loaded yet as its still winter weather and no get away as yet.....

but as a daily drive i measured the height and its slight more then standard with a firm ride of course but its in the rear so not so noticeable

these are the people to speak to if anyone is looking into it https://airbagman.com.au/
Once again, I know it's a long time since, but how did this work out? Certainly seems like a feasible option.

What about the top mount? Did you have to replace it because of the smaller pin size on the replacement shocks?

What about the dust cover and bump stop?

Sorry for all the questions, but frankly if I have to spend $2500 to replace the rear shocks, the car is gone.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:05 PM   #68
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225909360615
ive just fitted these.....definatly not a scratch on the factory items(the size of chrome rod is about half the diamiter & they dont have the captive nuts on the lower section & need new cover boots & rebound rubbers) but the feel of the car is much better than with the blowen factory units + for the cost it means i could fit 10 pairs of these & still be ahead.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:16 PM   #69
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz007 View Post
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225909360615
ive just fitted these.....definatly not a scratch on the factory items(the size of chrome rod is about half the diamiter & they dont have the captive nuts on the lower section & need new cover boots & rebound rubbers) but the feel of the car is much better than with the blowen factory units + for the cost it means i could fit 10 pairs of these & still be ahead.
Thanks! I've been looking at KYB and Monroe replacements.
Was there any problem with the top mount and the thinner shaft on these? I figured I'd probably have to get different dust covers and bump stops. Which ones did you use?

Is the rear ride height much lower? Anyway airbags can fix that.

Yep the Ford parts price is a joke. As I said I'd just get rid of the car before paying that. I'm already tossing up between a nice MC we have with 130,000km and the MD which has 180 000. In different ways I like both. I prefer driving the MD slightly. But the apparent fragility and horrific parts prices (thermostat housing EGR, oil pressure regulator, shock administerers to name just a few) of the MD are pushing me away from it.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:41 PM   #70
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

nah was all good with the fit up, i believe KYB also have a dust cover/rebound kit to go with it(i didnt buy it=although i think its probably a good idea & if doing the job on a customers car id buy the extra KYB kit)but instead being a tight azz & it being my own car, i just modifided the factory dust cover & rebound rubber to suit.....
Old 02-03-2024, 04:45 PM   #71
AlanM

Quote:
nah was all good with the fit up, i believe KYB also have a dust cover/rebound kit to go with it(i didnt buy it=although i think its probably a good idea & if doing the job on a customers car id buy the extra KYB kit)but instead being a tight azz & it being my own car, i just modifided the factory dust cover & rebound rubber to suit.....
Sounds good to me! I bought this MD for $4200, so there's no way it's getting three grands worth of shocks on it!
Old 02-03-2024, 04:46 PM   #72
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

biggest thing i c is the inner shaft was like 1/2 the sizes(legnth & thread size was all good only a skinnier diamitar of the telescopic chrome shaft) so obviously wont last as long & wont handle the same weight(but whos really going to try loading a tonne in the back of there mondeo, & as i said even if they dont last as long i can still fit 10 pairs & be ahead.....
Old 02-03-2024, 04:49 PM   #73
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

ride height is no diffrent(probably better as when my old shocks were removed they just colapsed)
Old 02-03-2024, 04:54 PM   #74
AlanM

Quote:
ride height is no diffrent(probably better as when my old shocks were removed they just colapsed)
Great, thanks for the info! I've been googling the crap out of this, but coming up short on info, so thanks, it's a big help.

About the shaft size - because the Nivomats are self levelling they have to cop some load bearing rather than just damping. And from a quick scan of a cutaway the shafts might be hollow anyway, with valving inside them. I'm certainly not worried about KYB or Monroe not lasting as well as the originals.if
Old 10-03-2024, 10:43 PM   #75
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

Motorcraft - Shock Absorber Asy (P) (ASH24707) https://a.co/d/a2tejnQ
Old 10-03-2024, 10:44 PM   #76
goz007
Diesel Sniffer