Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Dustproof

Default Turbo

Hi guy's,

Has anyone ever turbo'd the 1.6 Fiesta? If so what performance gains are there and who did the conversion. I am looking for low pressure turbo at about .5 BAR (7 PSI).

Thanks
Noel

Old 25-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently someone is trying a turbo version... its in another thread here somewhere....

You could wait until you see it come out? Or get mountune to send you their kit over?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
zbeasty

If its the one fitted to the WP/WQ, I've asked around on a few sites as I was thinking of doing the same. Apparently Van Aarken? did a kit in the UK but it didn't make a lot more power and turned out to be fairly unreliable. The motor has a fairly high static compression ratio (10.5:1) and weak pistons so even 7 psi is pushing the limits. By the time you source a turbo, get a custom manifold made, plumb it and get it tuned running 7psi you'd be better off getting cams, headwork, exhaust and tune. Apparently the gearbox isn't very strong either so dropping the compression and winding in more boost will see you breaking gearboxes. There was one guy on here that did one up in Nth Qld and I tried getting in contact with him but no reply. For the same price you could probably source a 2l out of a focus and make your own XR4 but then again the price difference between the 2 second hand probably isn't worth it. I've got mates who are mechanics and can get the work done for cheap but even then it didn't make sense to work the 1.6l. I've given up and have ordered a Golf R.
zbeasty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They do a supercharger kit on european-parts.net. Might want to look into that.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG! .. not yet another ... "Hey guys, I'm gonna turbo my Fiesta" thread .. Please!

How many of these have we seen over the years? .. :

I cannot recall a single one of these guys that have actually gone ahead and done it .. not one!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Step up to the plate Rob ;)

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Cyborg1978

Why would you bother all that money spent, just too have small boost. And a very unreliable FEZ. Go buy an XR5 or even better a Telstar TX5 you can butcher and not fell guilty trashing a new car. In my opition don't bother think of a more sensible powere upgrade, like NOS.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
OMG! .. not yet another ... "Hey guys, I'm gonna turbo my Fiesta" thread .. Please!

How many of these have we seen over the years? .. :

I cannot recall a single one of these guys that have actually gone ahead and done it .. not one!
WOW, you reply as if this thread was a personal attack against you
Old 27-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #9
frinik

You want power? chuck in a Hayabusa engine like these crazy mofos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJabjuAwdI
ps. how sick are the wide kits!
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
WOW, you reply as if this thread was a personal attack against you
Oh, here he is .. didn't think you'd be too far away .. which round is this gonna be .. I lost count ages ago little one .. 2135 are we up to?

For you information I couldn't give a toss if anyone wants to go ahead and turbo their Fez, good luck to them .. trouble is nobody every does it! .. we just get countless numbers of newbies who start with something like ..

"Hi, my names such and such .. and I'm gonna Turbo my blah blah blah ...."

Then they go away, maybe actually look into it, as in how many thousands of dollars it's actually going to cost, let alone "who is going to even do the conversion!" ... then they slink away never to be seen nor heard of again.

You know yourself Piotr, you've been around here long enough, how many times have we seen it? ... didn't you yourself even spank on one time about dropping a turbo in your Fez? .. may not have been you? .. can't remember .. I tend to turn off when you turn up with your usual drivel so I could be wrong ... I'm sure you'll remind me!

Oh ... I do so miss our little discussions from the old days .. good to hear from you again anyhow.
Old 27-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Ben85

Ok guys, you need to calm down, how about instead of carrying on like nobs, we help the guy asking the question!!!

Dustproof: From all accounts its a huge waist of money and it just isnt worth doing!! Look into custom engine tunes, cold air induction kits and exhaust. I've done all of those and gained between 10-15 kws. Basically if you want a high performance car, buy one in the first place. The above mods are gonna cost between $1500-$2500 anyway, you can probably double to triple that for a turbo, and you end up with a very unreliable car, with a shorter lifespan.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
Ok guys, you need to calm down, how about instead of carrying on like nobs, we help the guy asking the question!!!

Dustproof: From all accounts its a huge waist of money and it just isnt worth doing!! Look into custom engine tunes, cold air induction kits and exhaust. I've done all of those and gained between 10-15 kws. Basically if you want a high performance car, buy one in the first place. The above mods are gonna cost between $1500-$2500 anyway, you can probably double to triple that for a turbo, and you end up with a very unreliable car, with a shorter lifespan.
I thought about an XR5 but I already have a TDCi Focus which my wife has pinched from me (Performance upgrades on the cards for this one too), I thought a low pressure Turbo would be fine and wanted to see if anyone has already done it - advice is always greatly appreciated.

I can setup my own Turbo without the need for special tubular manifolds etc, I can also get around the need for a piggy back computer for the stock ECU for the application I need. It is always better to speak to someone who has already done this car so I can learn from their mistakes. I can get a Turbo cheap enough but the bigger $$$ will be with the tune and possible injector upgrade. I would be paying a lot more for an XR5 than to modify a Zetec Fez, $5 to $6K is not a lot of money when you drop $10K to trade up.

I will take your advice and investigate if the Mountune type system will work for what I want, the idea is not to have an XR8 killer just to have a nice performance 1.6L (Mind you I do like the sound of warmed over 4). Does this type of mod on a small capacity engine make a noticeable difference? I thank you for your input, this is what makes these forums very worth while.

As for some people here who really need to see a doctor and get some help for their verbal diarrhoea, I only asked a question, if you don't like it then don't look. My advice to you is make an appointment to see a psychologist and learn to play friendly with those around you - this sort of attitude is not worthy of this forum.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Are we talking WS or WP/WQ?

If we are talking WQ especially, drop a focus 2l from about LS LT fame, this is basically the XR4 engine, pretty much bolt in from what everybody says in the UK!!!!

And a lot cheaper and more bang for buck!!!

Cheers
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston
Are we talking WS or WP/WQ?

If we are talking WQ especially, drop a focus 2l from about LS LT fame, this is basically the XR4 engine, pretty much bolt in from what everybody says in the UK!!!!

And a lot cheaper and more bang for buck!!!

Cheers
It is a WS 1.6L, I would love to drop in a 2.0L but I am happy with the dynamics of the engine, I just want to beef up the performance a bit. The next thing I want to do is look at the rear suspension and see if I can tune out the wallowing when pushed hard through corners, the springs are too lite and the shocks don't have enough rebound dampening. The front feels OK but could do with a little work.

Thanks
Old 27-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustproof
As for some people here who really need to see a doctor and get some help for their verbal diarrhoea, I only asked a question
And your question was answered.

If you did a search you would have found that many others have "talked the turbo talk" many times over.

If you stick around these parts long enough, or of course had the hindsight as to the history of what some of us members have had to endure from certain others around here, (aka: Piotr) over the years, I would have no doubt you would fully understand were I'm coming from.

If you are referring to myself as having the "verbal diarrhoea" and needing to see a "psychologist", I thank you for your concern, .... unfortunately I neither understand nor wish to converse by means of acronyms, bad grammar and frequent spelling mistakes thus attempting to make the delivery of the message shorter for those around us with the intelligence and attention span of a maggot.

To answer your question regarding Turbo modifications more comprehensively, nobody around this forum, perhaps even in Australia? to my knowledge has turbo-charged their Fiesta, ... however a number of people overseas who have access to many more resources than us have indeed done so.

A good source of information would be to search the Ford Fiesta ST forums in the UK and South Africa as a good starting point and wealth of information.

Good luck with it all and if you do decide to go ahead with the modifications please don't hesitate to let us all know how you got on.

http://www.fordfiestast.co.uk/ubbthreads.php

http://www.teamfiesta.co.za/forum/index.php
Old 27-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

There was one guy who turbo'd his WP around 3 years ago i reckon, from what i remember all he had was troubles in the medium-long term with running lean/rich... timing etc... even with a custom tune.

my advice, buy this. same amount $ wise (probs less) and more reliable:

http://www.mountuneperformance.com/i...=141&Itemid=58
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #17
fiestars

I think this is very much possible though i think a supercharger would be best, maybe you could have a mini killer jampsort sell super charger system for 1.6 L engines quite reasonable i think here is the link:Jam-sport
fiestars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very well said Robjh80.
Old 27-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the mountune kits seem the best price for hp at the moment for the WS's

2 whole seconds off of the 0-100kmh time is an awesome upgrade for this little car..
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
the mountune kits seem the best price for hp at the moment for the WS's

2 whole seconds off of the 0-100kmh time is an awesome upgrade for this little car..
Too bad its so bloody expensive, but damn it makes such a difference, combine that with EPs supercharger, it'd probably do it in the 5-6 second bracket.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post