Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
Rhubarb

Default No RS here, FPV Focus instead

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=55274

Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I still fail to see how FPV spending money on their own version is a smart business decision when the RS will be bloody hard to top.
Old 24-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Rhubarb

This seems a little strange to me.

If I was head honcho of Ford Aus, I'd be importing the Focus RS now to see how it goes. Surely theres bugger all up front capital in just shipping these out. THen if they don't sell that well so be it, nothing lost, and a bit of attention and focus on the focus for "aspirational buyers" as a bonus.

If they do sell well, they can then spend the money with confidence and fit out the production line in Aus to make them here at greater margin in 2011 or customised to Aus market if needed. Surely thats lower risk and would test the market demand for sustainability (remember Monaro sales figures - graphed like a slippery dip, ie massive peak early but couldn't sustain profitable volumes).

The RS has a proven reputation and heritage which FPV would do well to leverage (look at Golf GTI mark 5 success). Is this a case of the "not invented here" syndrome, or do you think its a valid strategy to broaden and build the FPV brand?

Even if they simply rebrand it as FPV (similar to ST -> XR5) for 3 years until they release the real FPV version, do you really think the RS would damage the FPV brand during those years? .... Or is there a slight chance it could enhance it ???....

At the end of the day, its a global market and global profit is the end goal. Will local customisation and FPV branding generate enough extra sales given its 3 year delay to justify the investment required? I think Aus is too small to ignore the work already done by Ford Europe on the RS.

Doesn't make sense to me - but then again, perhaps thats why I'm not running Ford Aus.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Rhubarb; 24-07-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 25-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Seems odd FPV would ignore a pre-built package, costing nothing but badging to 'develop'.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
Mullett
Badly Focused

Maybe I'm alone in this, but do we want a more powerful front wheel drive focus? I think it might just turn it into a pig to drive...if they're going to make it, AWD the damn thing. It'll never compete with a wrx/ralliart lancer (let alone an STI/EVO) otherwise...Awesome looking car, but MAKE IT STICK!!!!

*my 0.028c (adjusted for GST and inflation)

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There's no doubt the FWD RS will be a beast... not too worried about it not being AWD.
Old 25-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Rhubarb

AWD v FWD ? - That is another debate covered in other threads.

Do we want a more powerful FWD Focus ? - Again this is another debate but Ford Aus has already said it is going to have a more powerful Focus.

So .... This thread is about the merits of importing the RS now, versus waiting 3 years to develop a FPV version.

I strongly doubt FPV will do anything other than tuning, setup, styling and feature packaging, to the base focus / XR5. FPV will not be putting AWD into it if the RS doesn't have it, unless the RS gets it by 2011. Either way, why wait 3 years ????
Old 25-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

okay, has every1 like failed to realise that it will be based on the 2011 focus when its built here??

they are basically saying NO we will not import the Focus RS but we will wait till the new one is beeing built locally and develop our own.

The previous Focus RS was built in 2003 5 years ago. The New Focus RS will be out for 3 years before FPV get started.

Ill agree why they dont import the New RS is beyond me. But seriously guys. Who really trully deep down believed that FOMOCO will bring the RS to aus? seriuosly. it was a futile dream to begin with.

Sorry to be the one that says it.

Like dont get me wrong. i would love to see them here. but it just aint gonna happen :(

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

That RS is.. well just... awesome, would definitly be on my shopping list if it came to AUS... what a shame..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Rhubarb

Here you go:

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...38-462,00.html

Ford announces $9bn quarterly loss

"The plan also calls for the introduction of six of Ford's European small cars to the US market and an extension of turbocharged engines to help fuel economy in other models. ........ And we are uniquely positioned to leverage our global assets and the global strength of the Ford brand to quickly bring more small, fuel-efficient vehicles to North America.''

At least Ford US is listening to me
Old 25-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
Rhubarb

I promise I'll get off my soapbox and let this go now.
Old 25-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Mullett
Badly Focused

Will ford bring in a car which could be faster, more efficient and cheaper than an XR8? Silly question...they took a gamble letting the XR6T out as a faster and cheaper option, there'd be a lot of angry owners out there if they got taken out at the lights by a focus...a good driver will already get an XR8 with an XR5 to 100km...

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

^ turbo the XR8 and be done with it.

Seriously though, the previous RS (FWD) was more than a match against the WRX of the time (in speed, handling, and track times). No reason to believe the new one will be a slacker.

Old 25-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think when the Mk.3 Foci are around, there will be 2 different performance model... one by FPV and another by Team RS (Focus ST, Focus RS, etc). The ones by Team RS will still be made in Germany.

I think Ford Australia should bring the Mk 2.5 Focus RS here. Bring 50 or 100 here and see how they sell.

EDIT :- I think FPV would make a great performance model Focus. Just wiki "Prodrive"... they know a thing or two about rally.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #15
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
Here you go:

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...38-462,00.html

Ford announces $9bn quarterly loss

"The plan also calls for the introduction of six of Ford's European small cars to the US market and an extension of turbocharged engines to help fuel economy in other models. ........ And we are uniquely positioned to leverage our global assets and the global strength of the Ford brand to quickly bring more small, fuel-efficient vehicles to North America.''

At least Ford US is listening to me

Lets just hope the US imports the european Focus!! That US Job is just Shite!!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Not sure what to make of this - will Ford be producing the Focus XR5T locally? I would have expected they will continue to import them from Germany - which would make building one locally no different from the current scenario! Or perhaps they will have a different model range with a slightly hotted up locally built car more similar to the XR6 n/a Falcon (as opposed to the XR6T).

With regards to importing the new RS, there are still a few hurdles even if they do not alter the car at all - cost of compliancing it locally, training dealer staff, stocking parts etc. Not sure on what the first item would cost, but the rest should be manageable surely?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #17
BlackLS
yum

Perhaps the locally developed FPV focus could use Australia's RWD expertise?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote: "FPV have more chance of doing something when Focus is produced here I think." Melbzetec 17.8.07

That's right... 12 months ago folks. I guess some of us are just more visionary than others:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...light=prodrive. Half way down the page

To me it does make sense for FPV to do something here, once Focus is manufactured here. Why import whole vehicles when the same body shape is coming down the line 500 metres away?. I can see FPV importing the Revknuckle technology, a number of other parts, even 5cyl engine if need be to produced the Australian version. (Or whatever is the hot engine in 2010)

Everyone seems to assume it either has to be a fully imported version, or a totally greenfield car developed here.

On the other hand I can see most of the technology, and many of the parts, being "borrowed" from Europe. Ford has big experience with CKD builds (Completely Knocked Down), and FPV has a lot of experience fitting different engines to existing bodyshells
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I hope you're right steve.

I just don't have a lot of faith in FPV, are they going to put enough effort into it's development to make it worthwhile or are they just going to slap on a few go fast bits, a tacky body kit and jack the price up... Either way, I'd probably still want one.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
melbzetec

That's my point TJ. They won't have to do a lot of development. They'll pinch a whole lot of thinking and parts from Europe, (including all the tuning development), produce what is economical to produce here (save on shipping and import duty for a start) and build a car that is probably 90-95% of what the car is in Europe, and call it an FPV.

Intellectual property is easy to export. Including tuning information and CAD designs for evrthing else. We'll be building all the body work here anyway (so why import that component), and either produce extra bits here, or import those components that are cheaper off the end of a production run in Europe (eg diffs, brakes etc)

Of course I could be completely wrong!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
Tj-zetec

That makes total sense.

But, will they do that?. I'm a mean cynical bastard and i have a saying that goes along the lines of "common-sense has no place in the real world"

On a slightly separate note, if they produce the coach work localy, does that mean we'll see a three door again?? *hopes patiently*

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #22
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Is there a market for a 3-door any more???

Few years back, they're aimed at singles wanting to get from A to B, now they're selling to families who can't/don't want to afford a Falcon. Extra doors have become needed.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #23
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec

To me it does make sense for FPV to do something here, once Focus is manufactured here. Why import whole vehicles when the same body shape is coming down the line 500 metres away?. I can see FPV importing the Revknuckle technology, a number of other parts, even 5cyl engine if need be to produced the Australian version. (Or whatever is the hot engine in 2010)

Everyone seems to assume it either has to be a fully imported version, or a totally greenfield car developed here.

On the other hand I can see most of the technology, and many of the parts, being "borrowed" from Europe. Ford has big experience with CKD builds (Completely Knocked Down), and FPV has a lot of experience fitting different engines to existing bodyshells
but why wait, it will be 4 years min before FPV do something with the focus, thats 4 years FoA could use to build the brand.

how much "play room" will FPV have with the focus, will FoA give them the scope they need to create a focus capable of competing with the RS.

i'm with Tj-zetec on this, FPV will most likely only do this...

Quote:
I just don't have a lot of faith in FPV, are they going to put enough effort into it's development to make it worthwhile or are they just going to slap on a few go fast bits, a tacky body kit and jack the price up...
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #24
melbzetec

Don't get me wrong. I think they should be bringing the RS here. And I don't think FPV will do as good a job when we get local production here.

What I am saying is that I understand the business case, and am suggesting they'll borrow a lot, if not all, of the intellectual property from Europe.

(Although I note recent comments from Ford internationally about bringing the Euro based designs into the US. Losing so much money, they need to rationalise their engineering platforms. ie stop reinventing the wheel for every market)

Old 05-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
Tj-zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Is there a market for a 3-door any more???

....now they're selling to families.... Extra doors have become needed.
well there's your problem... Stop Breeding. :

I just think they look a million times better, thats all.