Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Light in the sky

I was driving at about 11.30pm a few nights back on the Mitchell Hwy about 100km North of the NSW/QLD border heading south, when I saw a fast bright light come from the West, it slowed down turned then shot North. I saw this all through my windscreen.

I could not really tell the size, but it was fairly far away when it slowed and turned North.

Has anyone seen something like this? Of course I immediately thought UFO but I was wondering if maybe it was a meteor hitting the atmosphere causing it to turn? I actually thought it was quite low in the sky so I assume it wasnt near the atmosphere but who knows.

I'll be honest, it did give me the willies. No cars out that way either. You feel very lonely all of a sudden when you are that isolated and something scares you.

Anyone else see strange things in the sky?

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
fordAU

Default Re: Light in the sky

A Hornet from Amberley on a night run perhaps ?
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can understand why you felt that way being in the middle of nowhere and witnessing something bizarre like that... I would **** myself bigtime.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Without seeing it for myself, its hard to tell. But judging by your description of its change in direction, its likely it wasnt a meteorite.

Id say youve witnessed something of great interest.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

WOW. LUCKY YOU. i guess though , only you can guess what it was . the thing that concerns me is that something like this can happen , and it doesnt make public news . as you would think others saw it , or it was tracked on radar .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

ufo -unidentified flying object - so i guess you saw a ufo.

just keep your tinfoil hat in the glovebox just in case it returns.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its the change of direction that struck me. It was coming across from the West, I was heading south. We were basically going to cross paths further down the highway, its almost like it noticed me and took off.

I dont know if anyone has hunted foxes, but they kind of glide along at a steady pace, when they notice you they slow and hesitate then they speed off at a right angle. It was almost like this light in the sky got a fright from seeing me. Now im just giving myself goosebumps.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

well . if your american give yourself an uppercut . but if your an aussie , you may have seen the real deal . an unexplainable flying object.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
A Hornet from Amberley on a night run perhaps ?

That makes a lot of sense, it would also explain why the acceleration and change of direction startled me as I am used to seeing large jetliners in the air, not nimble fighter planes.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have always wanted to see something weird like that.
Unfortunately I never have.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
nstg8a

how close did it get? if it was a hornet accelerating away from you, i would think you would have heard it, they are not quiet. at all.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
how close did it get? if it was a hornet accelerating away from you, i would think you would have heard it, they are not quiet. at all.

Its hard to get distance perspective not knowing the how big or small it was, I guess maybe 10km away??

I didnt hear a thing but thats not surprising as I was travelling at outback speeds (high) and had the stereo on.
Old 29-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Its hard to get distance perspective not knowing the how big or small it was, I guess maybe 10km away??

I didnt hear a thing but thats not surprising as I was travelling at outback speeds (high) and had the stereo on.
well not to worry , atleast you didnt suddenly lose track of 4 hours and wake up lying down next to abig rock with your pants around your ankles and a couple of probe holes on your scrote
Old 29-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
well not to worry , atleast you didnt suddenly lose track of 4 hours and wake up lying down next to abig rock with your pants around your ankles and a couple of probe holes on your scrote

Sounds like my bucks night...
Old 29-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Copper chopper with a tracking spotlight.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
dannyxm
was danny888

Having an interest in UFOs and the like, i always wanted to see something like this.

Mind you, if i did, id be freaking out.......... big time! hehehehe

One of those times i trust youy wanted a video camera
Old 30-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #17
Spudz27
Call me Spud

That would freak me out for sure. Closest exp I have had, was as I was waiting in my car for my mate to grab his wallet, over the hils 4 red and green lights were going forward, back, left to right. It was like nothing ever seen before, then at the exact same time as I turned my ignition all the power in the neighbourhood went out, so here I am in my car, turn the key and bam, I am in complete darkness. My mate was just looking at me and said "wth did you do". It was freaky but explained as at the very split second I turned the key, an idiot in a V8 holden was doing fish tails in the rain and slammed into a power pole. But it was freaky none the less, even the coincedental turn of ignition was freak event. However I still can't explain the lights above the hills. The lights had gone once the power went out.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I myself have seen a mystery light in the sky that I still do not know what it could have been. I was at the local ANZAC memorial early in the morning to see the dawn service on ANZAC day in 2010, it was at the point when the crowds were arriving before the service started. I spotted a light in the sky directly above, at first it was fairly bright but I watched it shrink to the size of a planet where it remained stationary for a few seconds before it started moving while getting smaller until it completely disappeared.

All this happened in less than 10 seconds from when I looked up. I know that this was not a plane as it was completely stationary for a short time before suddenly started moving. Whatever it was it moved from being in the sky to the outer atmosphere within a few seconds. What kind of human technology does this?
Old 30-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone else hear the X-Files music.?
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #20
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Cant say I saw it but i fully back you up about Mitchell Hwy. like the kangas arnt enought to worry you at night...
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #21
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Anyone else hear the X-Files music.?
I do now, you gave me the idea to look up the x-files theme on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrlF46tZiQo
Old 30-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #22
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL funny.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #23
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Has anyone seen something like this?
I have seen exactly what you described twice, both occasions were flying down back roads near Gulargambone/Baradine/Wee Waa etc. Same scenario (though +10 years ago), late at night, high speed, stereo blaring and whatever it was was unmistakable as something as bright and almost as fast as a shooting star.

Had forgotten until now.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #24
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Min Min light?? To believe we are the only life forms in the universe is ignorance..We are not alone.....too many sightings throughout history....
Old 30-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #25
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
A Min Min light?? To believe we are the only life forms in the universe is ignorance..We are not alone.....too many sightings throughout history....

Too much opium aswel...
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #26
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
True. I saw a pair of strange lights many years ago. One red, one white, traveling very quickly through the night sky, then they disappeared.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
While I also subscribe to the we are not alone theory, I find it exceptionally unlikely we've been 'visited'. I'd go as far as saying there's a half decent chance there's life elsewhere in our Solar System.

Look at the history of UFO's, the sightings in the 50's all bear a similarity after the term flying saucer was coined. The observer wasn't describing the shape, more of how it flew.. yet it generated a spate of saucer like objects in the sky. Same occurred with 'cigar' shaped craft.

Voyager 1 was launched ~34 years ago and is travelling at about 60,000kph. It would take another ~74000 years to reach our nearest star. Had an intelligent species travelled that distance and found another life form, you'd think they'd do more than **** probe a couple of hillbillies.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
While I also subscribe to the we are not alone theory, I find it exceptionally unlikely we've been 'visited'. I'd go as far as saying there's a half decent chance there's life elsewhere in our Solar System.
Did you mean Galaxy. I dont think there is a very good likely hood of their being life in our solar system apart from earth. And even then I'm debating whether there is intelligent life in our solar system

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #29
Zorba

the last time i saw anything i thought might be a ufo i was drunk and looking at a star daring it to move.

er. yeh. id love to see a real one tho.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Similar experience last year.

I live near an airport and have a keen interest in aviation

The object I saw and the speed / change in direction was like nothing I have ever seen before.

And I have been to airshows both here and overseas....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post