Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Query regarding trade in

Hello, I have a quick query. Can you trade in a vehicle which is less expensive than your current car i.e. will a dealer pay you the difference?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
seduced_xr
BF XR6

i guess if the dealer agrees your current car is worth more then what your trading on.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

As in trade your Falcon, worth $15,000, on a Camry worth $8,000? Is that what you mean?

Yes you can, but the dealer will give you the Red Book trade in valuation and not what it's worth. Or if the sticker price on the Camry is less than the Red Book value, you'll likely get a straight swap.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The example is a g6e turbo on say a focus, where there would be a decent gap.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see it being possible, but not where you would be the one to come out on top so to speak. A dealer would see this an opportunity to sell you a car at full retail and then to negate their own expenses back on you.

This could be a potentially disastrous situation if finance were involved, where you wont have enough security left over to cover the next vehicle.

IMHO you are better off selling privately, and then going to a dealer if necessary to purchase another car.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes it is possible. i have done it once before. the car i was trying to sell was a dud and i was losing money on it so i cut my losses and traded on something cheaper.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it is done quite often. But dealers aren't dumb & will fairly quickly realize that it's usually being done for financial reasons & screw you on the deal.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh they will screw you... They do it all the time.. with the prices of new G6ETs dont expect to get much more then 32 - 34 kay for a used low km one now.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool thanks for the advice. Redbook still has the trade in at $34,900 - $38,800 which I would expect given the ks. It's pretty close to the payout figure and I am trying to avoid the private sale as it can be a pain in the **** to do with a car like this (test pilots). New ones are still 55k drive away.