Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default xr5 turbo

so my fiance wants me to buy her an xr5 turbo, which i don't mind because i think that they are a beautifull car. the problem is that she's only 17 which means that her insurance is a bit over 2k a year. any thoughts. should i tell her that she can only have a zetec or something. im a bit conserned about her having a fwd turbo aswell given that she has bugger all experience

eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
westoftown

If your fiance is only 17, how old are you and thus: can you afford to buy her a car with insurance? What about your own car? Sounds like a very big ask . . .

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im 21. i can afford the car. money is no option but i don't like to waste it just because ive got it. when i grew up i had no money so i know the value of it. im not just a rich that spends it cos hes got it. iv got a ba falcon which i love and id like her to have sumthing that she can love aswell. the main thing im worried about is her having that much power at the front wheels. i know its only bout 150kw but with bugger all weight and an inexperienced driver???
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
AUIIForte

If you are around the same age as her, then I would try living with just one car. A cheap and fuel efficient second hand car. No point in spending so much money so early in your life on a car. There are so many other things to consider. I also get the feeling she's being a little bit too spoilt. Wait until you guys grow up a little.
(please, no offence intended)

EDIT: Just read your second post... If she really needs her own car, then buy her something cheap like a Ford Laser. Get her used to the front wheel driving and let her get some experience on the road. But if she just wants her own car, I think its best to just wait a while.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No freakin' way... Learn how to drive before you get behind the wheel of a powerful car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are there states left where P platers can drive turbos?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i get what your saying but shes definately not spoilt. (no offense was taken) like i said b4 tho the moneys not a problem i already own my house i mainly want to know are they as powerful as ive heard. i havent driven one yet, she has but i haven't had enough time off work to get into the dealer yet.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im in tassie and never heard of p platers not being allowd to. a few of my mates had turbos when they were on ther p's. shes off displaying them in another fortnight tho
Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on where you live she might not even be able to drive that car when she is 18. It's turbo charged. That's a very expensive car for a 17 year old girl to be driving around in (not judging or generalising) and as you said insurance is not cheap either.

I'd recommend looking at something a bit older and cheaper. A KQ (2001-2003 I think) Laser SR2 is a great and much cheaper alternative. It looks great and sporty, has more than enough power for her and is much cheaper to insure. The great thing with these is most people take very good care of these cars and they also seem to generally have fairly low kms on them.

The Laser is the predecessor to the Focus and is very much the same. 5 doors, full body kit and excellent power and fuel economy. Very reliable too.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool. thanks for all the info. might have a look at that laser
Old 12-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Make her buy her own bloody car.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
westoftown

Didn't mean to offend you with my comment earlier but i'm in the same boat to a lesser extent: never had money growing up, parents couldn't afford a lot of things, so when i was old enough i got off my ***, worked and saved every penny to buy all the luxuries many kids have handed to them on a silver platter, the latest of them being a car. I noticed a lot of my friends just have cars given to them and by their attitudes it kills me that they don't appreciate it as much as i do.

The point i'm trying to make is that if i were in your situation, worked hard and appreciate things to get where i am now, and then this girl just "wants a car", i'd get a little hot under the collar. Doesn't that bother you at all? I'd flip.

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

A knew car as here first????? I would'nt .
Buy here a second hand car, as it will look like a dogem car in a few months.

The XR5 is a fantastic car Absolutely a gem to drive, we have one on order,waitng delivery. :

Good Luck
Cheers Mick
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
BrisVegas
Noobie

I'd steer clear of the turbo at that age. The regular Focus is a very good car, with 5 star safety and good handling.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to mention insurance will bend you over the table and shove the 900m long 3500m wide bill up your behind, sideways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, if she's a sure thing and she really wants it and you can afford it, why not? It's a great little car, and it's your call.

But at 17 I'd be worried. I'll never hand a car like that to my daughter when she turns 17.

To be honest, the next step back from a Focus XR5T I'd take is a Mazda SP23 rather than an older car. They've still got a fair bit of poke, more than the 2.0L Zetecs anyway, and they'll still have the modern features like stability control and airbags that you (well I at least) tend to feed to the girls. And besides, it's still a Focus underneath the panty line.....

Lukeyson
Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #17
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

if you think she will appreciate it go ahead ,no different to all the kids in clubbies where i live .nice looking car she must have taste ,surprise when a young girl dont want a gm .
Old 13-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your worried about here having that much power and insurance costs just get her the zetec and dress it like the turbo .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #19
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If she wants azippy car look at the xr4 instead. Heaps more fun.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #20
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

yeah mate i would be worried about the power. as you said only 150kw but they are light. my dad got one last month. i havent driven it yet as he is in another state but he reckons it has ALOT of power. the other thing i would be worried about that was also previously mentioned is that it wont be very straight in a few months... SR2's are deffinately a sexy car. have a look into that one your GF is very lucky to have someone buy her a car no matter what she gets, i wouldnt be complaining.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #21
Captain Falcon
FALCON PAWWWNCH!!!

Yeah, i'd never buy my partner a new car. Even if i did have the cash.

If she want's it, she should work for it. Just like everybody else.

Coz only hairdressers use blow dryers! :evil3:
Captain Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #22
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Agree, have a look at the SR2.
I've got a base model focus, and take it from someone who's been cruising with XR5s, and having been in one and driven one myself, they are extremely powerful. People underestimate them I think. I've driven a whole range of cars including XR8s (EA-BF) and even a BF GT, and the XR5 has almost enough power to match up to them. They don't weigh anywhere near as much, so while they say it has only 166kw, it still feels damn fast.
She's a lucky girl, whatever she gets, but if she's on her Ps, she won't be able to drive the XR5. Get the XR4 instead. They are an incredible car for the price, and extremely fun to drive. They can pull G's through corners like nobody's business, and while the raw power isn't there, they're still a fun car to drive.

Just my 2c, but don't get the XR5. Get an XR4, or has been previously said, an SP23 or that SR20

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #23
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I would definitely be worried about the old power to weight ratio there, regardless of whether or not it is legal in your state for her to drive a turbo, you have to remember why most states have these laws, a regular Zetec will still have plenty of go, and will be a lot cheaper to insure, they look pretty goo too.

Remember, 166Kw is still a lot of power, it was enough for XR6s not that long ago, and V8s not long before that, so it will get that little Focus moving mighty quickly, in the hands of the inexperienced it isn't the best idea.

Another thing, if it'sa first car, don't get a new one, your just throwing money away on something that will probably be a lot worse off in a years time, go for a 3 or 4 year old zetec, or even better as others have suggested, a last of the line Laser SR2, you should pick one of the best of those up for under 13K and they are still a little ripper.
Old 13-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #24
TadKa
Wait? What?

Ok so can I ask. your 21... "when you were growing up you didn't have money" sorry but you still are growing up son. and you have proposed to a 17 year old? can I ask how "money is no problem"? I'm a few years older and on a decent wage and I'm still struggling to scrape money together for a house. I'm finally in the last 2 months of a 3 year car loan for my Ba but crikey. I know it's none of my business and probably jelousy but how do you come to potentially buying a teenager girlfriend a 30k car and owning your own house? did you win lotto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
id have to sell it. beautioful car and all but i know i can't afford a v8 yet. not with all the kms i do to get to work. very nice still
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #25
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not gonna say how i got the money just that i got alot.

i regards to that quote
like i said earlier in this thread, ive got the money but i don't waste it just cos ive got it
Old 13-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #26
big-e
In the jungle

Just buy the car mate. They are fantastic.

Its funny that you are worried about insurance of over $2k when you have soooo much money.

Buy a white one, therefore everyone will know that you got the LV 2008 model - which is more expensive than all the others.

PS, I would read the news about all P platers hitting trees, poles and other cars before I would buy a turbo to an inexperianced 17 year old.

PPS, Lambos are also good looking and not turbo.

Good luck.
---->T2 TS50 (#42) Venom<---- T2 TS50 factory manual :
big-e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #27
TadKa
Wait? What?

fair enough. Lucky for you then.
What about this. 2002 Zetec man. $13k 40km in Hobart

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/FORD/FOCUS/details.aspx?R=6669617&keywords=focus&postcode=700 0&__Nf=p_GeoLocation_String|GCLT%20-42.87499%2c147.3147%20501.4&__Ntk=CarAll&__Nne=20& __Dx=mode%20matchany&RegionID=&__D=focus&silo=1000 &seot=0&__sid=11B21BA9E289&__N=834%20258%20287%202 85%201216&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price _Decimal|0&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&distance=5 00&Cr=14&__Ntt=focus&trecs=20&__Qpb=true

edit- sorry link seems to be shot. search carsales if you want. Are you in Hobart?
Old 13-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #28
TadKa
Wait? What?

oh just as a note. If you got money from a win or inheritance I hope you have some Financial advice. If it's from hard work. Good for you. I won a little bit of money when I was young. Certainly not a great deal but quite a lot for me at the time. It didn't take long to blow it on cocaine and hookers....... well actually it was gambling and toys.
Old 13-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

a lot of judging going on there big e ,a little uncalled for .
Old 13-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of green eyes on here at the moment.

The reality of this is that regardless of how much money you have, you can't buy experience.
The XR5 Turbo is a reasionably quick front wheel drive car that, like all "quickish" cars will turn around and bite you if you do not watch it.

It will accellerate quite well and is very happy and stable at speed so an inexperienced driver will quite easily get themselves into a situation where they are going too fast for a stop sign, corner or whatever where a decission has to be made quickly.

This can happen in any car but the quicker the car, the easier it is for it to get away from you. This is not about 200km/k on the freeway, it is about 0-60km/h accross an intersection while driving around town and then some idiot steps out of the footpath or departs a parking space.

Making quick sensible decissions requires practice.

I have just taught 3 girls aged between 16 and 19 to drive and they ALL were very bad at judging speed, stopping distance required and distance. They ALL ran stop sign and red lights because they braked too late, ALL ended up on the wrong side of the road in corners and ALL missed turn offs because they were going too fast although none of them ever really exceeded the speed limit except when they did not notice the limit signs due to 100,000 excuses.

A much better and safer route would be to buy a much lesser powered but equally safe car so that she has more time to make decissions and gets better at it.
Then, after she has 40 or 50 thousand KMs of experience, buy a bigger faster better gooder one.

She is your fiance, you want to be with her for the rest of her life. You do NOT want that to be measured in weeks or months........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post