Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
bennyk351

Default Old Vs New

In 40 years is a new GT going to be what the old GTs are now.When i go to car shows i go purely for the old school muscle ,whether the be ,Fords,holden,chev,whatever.Lately ive been noticing you walk down the rows of GTs for example youve got Xr,t,w,y,a,b,c,with a heap of brand new GTs thown right in the middle.Now these cars have been bought straight from the showroom, but had to do no work or restorations to make them look good .I dont know what others think about this but I think this is taking away from the guys that have spent 1000s and countless hours to make their car what they are .To me a old car in pristine condition means a lot more the an off the shelf new car .What do you think?
:sm_headba

bennyk351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, they wont be.

They arent ground breaking now, they arent king of the hill now either, the cobra has more power yet they arent the stuff legends are made of.

It'll be scary in 20-30 years time to see what is classed as a clessic or muscle car.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The new GT's have no racing history. They won't have the same mystique as the GT's of ~35-40 years ago have today. They'll probably be worth some decent coin by then but it won't be anywhere near as good as investment if you stuck a HOEY in your garage under a tarp 35 years ago.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyk351
Now these cars have been bought straight from the showroom, but had to do no work or restorations to make them look good
I think you'll find that the classic GT's that fetch the highest prices are exactly in this condition!
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

while a new car does not do very much for me, for the reason benny stated. we should appreciate all of them at shows and the like. the reason the old cars have been restored is that no one cared enough about them when they were between 0-20 years old

if someone just throws a lot of money at a dealer to get a new gt, they should still be given credit for looking after it and preparing it well for any display days. it is not hard to see a lot of new cars with scratches and dents, so we should appreciate nice cars no matter what age they are
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 40 years time, I suspect most of the plastic on these new cars will be in an awful condition, with no prospect for repair.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
HOEBAG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
it won't be anywhere near as good as investment if you stuck a HOEY in your garage under a tarp 35 years ago.
Your going to stick me in your garage
:
HOEBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper
Your going to stick me in your garage
:
Yes, now get back in there and stop making noise, the neighbours are starting to complain... and do something about the smell!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whether of not current or old school performance cars will be worth anything at all or $zillions in 30 years is an enormous uncertainty.

Will there still be petrol or a completely different fuel system?
Will there be a ban on any vehicle that does not comply with at least euro6 (euro24 being current)?
Will the Phase 3 be thought of by the general public in the same way that the Model T is by us?

Race history? What race? Bathurst? Oh that one that has not been run for 20 years after the track was closed for safety/noise/land rights/greeny/whatever reasons when Harold Scruby became Premier of NSW in 2018? (apparantly everyone who complains a lot in NSW gets a go at being Premier)

What was that last road car to win at Lakeside?
Who won the Castrol 6 hour in 1982?

What car won the first bathurst and how much are these worth now?

The only thing I know for sure is that nothing will be exactly like we think it will be in 30 years.

After all: 35 years ago there were no speed limits in NSW (or NT), no radar, no drink driving laws, no hoon laws, no speed cameras, the road to Cairns was mostly dirt, the road to Darwin was almost all dirt, TV was black and white, there was no FM radio, no credit cards, no mobile phones, no internet, no 24 months interest free, no car loans over 7 years..... etc etc etc.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Other than racing pedigree by far the vast majority of todays FPV/HSV's arent limited model runs and so wouldnt be collectible IMO,simply too many about..
When there are more buyers than cars available,prices go up..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
snakeoil
Snake Oil

Maybe ask a ten year old today what car he really wants to own when he grows up
because a lot of ten year old kids in the 60's 70's 80's are the ones now paying the big bucks for the cars they dreamed of when they were kids ..........or its just ego

Cheers

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoil
Maybe ask a ten year old today what car he really wants to own when he grows up
because a lot of ten year old kids in the 60's 70's 80's are the ones now paying the big bucks for the cars they dreamed of when they were kids ..........or its just ego

Cheers

Young teenage boys at high school dream of owning small Jab turbos according to my son in year 9....Falcons are for old people, and the older model falcons particularly are too boring and totally uncool....thats their perception...their female counterparts think similar ....so to impress the ladies these future young drivers wouldn't be seen dead driving a falcon so will be driving small turbos and the falcon/commodore will die a slow death.....
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Other than racing pedigree by far the vast majority of todays FPV/HSV's arent limited model runs and so wouldnt be collectible IMO,simply too many about..
When there are more buyers than cars available,prices go up..
The build numbers of old GT's compared to current ones is pretty similar, I think the BF GT is the only modern GT that outsold the XW GT. Its just 40 years of attrition that has dwindled the numbers down, so i'd imagine the same might happen in 40 years time with the BF's, but I doubt they will have anywhere near the collectability of the old GT's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The build numbers of old GT's compared to current ones is pretty similar, I think the BF GT is the only modern GT that outsold the XW GT. Its just 40 years of attrition that has dwindled the numbers down, so i'd imagine the same might happen in 40 years time with the BF's, but I doubt they will have anywhere near the collectability of the old GT's.
As Nugget says its the race pedigree that the older cars have that makes them so collectable and desirable. The new generation cars simply dont have it.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyk351
In 40 years is a new GT going to be what the old GTs are now.When i go to car shows i go purely for the old school muscle ,whether the be ,Fords,holden,chev,whatever.Lately ive been noticing you walk down the rows of GTs for example youve got Xr,t,w,y,a,b,c,with a heap of brand new GTs thown right in the middle.Now these cars have been bought straight from the showroom, but had to do no work or restorations to make them look good .I dont know what others think about this but I think this is taking away from the guys that have spent 1000s and countless hours to make their car what they are .To me a old car in pristine condition means a lot more the an off the shelf new car .What do you think?
:sm_headba
To a large degree I do see your point, there certainly is more mystique to the old school muscle. No I do not believe our ute will be worth much, despite the fact that it was one of a few Pursuit/Super Pursuit in Menace and even less in manual (there was only 7 GT/GT-P in Menace). Reason for this lack of appreciation in value, race history.

I find it rather frustrating to hear that somoe people consider our work getting our "new muscle" ready for shows as no big deal. Most of these older beauties live in pristine garages, under covers, trailered to the event and set on carpet so their feet don't get dirty. Meanwhile mine gets me to work and back all week, gets waxed every 2 weeks, clocks up 25,000km each year and generally has me busting a gut to keep it looking good. On saturday I work from early in the morning until the wee small hours of the next morning before I drive my detailed car to the show, so that I can madly try and clean up the brake dust. Apparently I have just bought mine off the showroom and there are not monstrous amounts of time customising different components.

I know there are many of us out there that regularly spend copious amounts of time on our daily drivers so that they at least are worthy of being parked next to the old school. Not all are straight off the showroom, in fact most are modified to some degree, many with more work in hours than an unrestored XW.

Anway, I will stop my whinge now, but you did ask what I thought!

Cheers
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #16
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I want to look at new cars I'll go to the dealer ship.

they even let you dirve them there

for shows give me the stuff thats been toiled over and masarged back to perfection over detailed showroom cars

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
HOEBAG
Banned

maybe they should make the new FPV (5 year?) rare. say 100-200 cars built.
HOEBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The race heritage (winning bathurst) while having some merit is by no means the ultimate reason why old cars are desirable. If that were the case there would huge prices for:

Vauxhall Cresta, first winner
Cortina GT, won 3 times, more than any other Ford model including GTHO.
XL Falcon
Mini Cooper S
Jaguar XJS
Mercedes 220SE
Ford Seirra won twice
Skyline R32 (doof doof doof pshhhht) won twice.

All of these cars have exactly the same racing heritage as the Phase 3 GTHO, LJ XU1, A9X, 350 Monaro etc etc...

THEY ALL WON BATHURST, some several times.

The GTHO won twice, the same number of times as XA GT, L34, A9X, VH commy, Sierra and Skyline.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Most of the older bathurst racer models were either very limited runs,HO/E49/A9X etc,or most have rusted in to the ground and gone off to the crushers long ago...
Simply supply and demand..Whether a current model reaches collectible status and worth a great deal of money will depend on the exact same reasons...
During the production days,the cars were raced *as is* off the showroom floor,the same cant be said of the cars during the 80's and later,the same car you bought,raced in exactly the same spec at bathurst,this is why they are so revered and collectible..They are street legal race cars...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While race heritage doesn't guarantee collectibility and "value" if you look at which cars have passed their original purchase price (indexed) its a mandatory prerequisite...
I don't know of any Australian production car that's worth more than its original indexed purchase price that doesnt have bathurst race herritage..

Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I personally think that it is not only the racing pedigree, but also that ADR27 made these cars the best things since sliced bread for the better part of two decades after they were built.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I personally think that it is not only the racing pedigree, but also that ADR27 made these cars the best things since sliced bread for the better part of two decades after they were built.
Yuo mean pre ADR27?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #23
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I mean that due to ADR27, these (pre ADR) cars were better than all the new (post ADR) cars for quite a long while.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #24
nugget378
Weezland

And still are (if your into highly modifying them) by a long way..